Bandsaw Mill

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I ot too old and decrepit to expend much energy...
I wanted one of those so bad,

I been woodworking for 40 + years and was always wanting nice boards to build furniture and other projects,

Just ended up buying my wood at auctions.

Don't do much anymore...but congrats on a great piece of equipment.

Is it for your own uses or to sell lumber?

Jim

For my own use, I like working with wood and metal and am about to start building a cabin on a piece of land I bought. I want the entire interior custom and made of local wood. For what they charge for any lumber that is not a 2x4 now days this piece will pay for itself in no time. It also opens me up to another world of neat things I can build. I'm excited.

Looks better than what I could do with a chain saw. I could see that if you had a good flatbed trailer to haul it around on, a need for untreated wood, a lot of mid size trees, a tractor or bobcat, a lot of time and a real nice wood working shop. ;-)
boards.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 25 foot flatbed I don't use, I have a skid steer and a backhoe and plenty of trees, I figure after my need i will find stuff to do with it or sell it.

My mom's side of the family owned a sawmill. All died off and the saw mill is gone. I sure wish the family had kept it.

There is a shed on my aunt's property that is made entirely out of saw mill scraps. The siding is made from the outside strips that were cut off to make the tree square in order to cut boards from it. Gives the shed a rustic look. I would love a cabin sheathed with the same type of lumber.

I doubt you will ever run out of stuff to do with it.

Looks better than what I could do with a chain saw. I could see that if you had a good flatbed trailer to haul it around on, a need for untreated wood, a lot of mid size trees, a tractor or bobcat, a lot of time and a real nice wood working shop. ;-)
View attachment 1090
Have you used a chainsaw mill? I thought about getting one down the road to square up logs to be able to fit larger ones on the bandsaw mill. A buddy of mine made one out of an extension ladder.

Have you used a chainsaw mill? I thought about getting one down the road to square up logs to be able to fit larger ones on the bandsaw mill. A buddy of mine made one out of an extension ladder.
No but I've seen them. I guess if you have a good saw and a long bar it could at least provide basic wood to be used for crafts or even home made furniture. I used that wood I sliced up with the chain saw to make stuff for the gun range which would get destroyed anyways.
pistol target side.jpg
range tables.jpg

No but I've seen them. I guess if you have a good saw and a long bar it could at least provide basic wood to be used for crafts or even home made furniture. I used that wood I sliced up with the chain saw to make stuff for the gun range which would get destroyed anyways.
View attachment 1135 View attachment 1136
Sometimes the crooked wobbly wood looks better I think.

Sometimes the crooked wobbly wood looks better I think.
Well when it's basically free lumber, you just need to make it, I guess you can afford to be more creative. :D

For my own use, I like working with wood and metal and am about to start building a cabin on a piece of land I bought. I want the entire interior custom and made of local wood. For what they charge for any lumber that is not a 2x4 now days this piece will pay for itself in no time. It also opens me up to another world of neat things I can build. I'm excited.
I am paying $350/1000bd' for pine 2x10 and 2x4, and $400/1000bd' for poplar 1x10 for exterior(Dutch lap) and interior walls and ceilings. No sheetrock! The concrete blocks are to be delivered today and the sawmill supposed to be done next week.

I am paying $350/1000bd' for pine 2x10 and 2x4, and $400/1000bd' for poplar 1x10 for exterior(Dutch lap) and interior walls and ceilings. No sheetrock! The concrete blocks are to be delivered today and the sawmill supposed to be done next week.
Thats a pretty good price. I don't have that option near me, the mills closed down so I would have to travel.

The first about 3 min. of this video, I thought was pretty brilliant if you don't have a mill. It wouldn't ruin the bar or saw. Didn't even watch the rest, just thought that part was interesting.

Congrats on your new machine...
If you have the time to use it to its full potential it can also yield a number of other side products besides your milled lumber.. A couple products I've seen are fireplace wood bundles, and saw dust to make fire starters and compressed sawdust logs...

A friend of mine recently bought a Woodlands band mill. It's made in China, but looks like it's a decent mill.
I've owned 2 mills so far. One was an MSG mill, made in Spokane. The other was a Woodmiser top of the line mill, 42 hp diesel, full hydraulics, computer set works, laser sight, de-barker etc. Loved that mill. I'm thinking about buying another one.

Buddy of mine had a Woodmizer in the 90s. No hydraulics, but it was a great mill. Thats what ill go for if I ever get one
This time around I'll get one without the trailer and log loader. I still want the log turner and the toe adjuster though. I'll set this one up permanent under roof and load with my tractor. A board return table would be nice too.
I made good money off my other 2 mills.

My buddy had to turn down people he had so many wanting him to custom saw for them.
A Tractor to load it would be a great addition. I like the trailer to take it and cut where you drop a tree. Makes handling the wood easier.
Good point, for flat ground. I have very little flat ground here. Plus many of the logs that I would saw could come from a couple miles away.

Latest posts

Back