Duel fuel generator

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a Westinghouse and have been happy with it. Had an electrician wire things up for a transfer switch. Primarily got it to run the furnace for my dad along with the freezer. Haven’t had to use it in a real world situation but have “tested” it.

I got it from Lowe’s but they don’t carry it any longer. It was about $1100 delivered.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Westinghou...asoline-Propane-Portable-Generator/1000549771

Check out generatordirect.com or Nothern Tool for generators. Both have several duel fuel generators available. I personally don't have any experience with duel fuel machines. But I do have propane, diesel and gasoline generators. Ranging in size from 3.5 kw up to 12 kw. I'm not really sure that I see the value in duel fuel units. I use a 12kw propane generator to run my well pump. It's plumbed to a 500 gallon propane tank.

We bought a portable 5500 (?) peak dual fuel from Costco.. We got it with rewards money using a Costco credit card.. So free if you look at it that way...

It worked well for the way we used it.. Also was more than big enough for our needs.. Always ran it on propane.. Never had gas in the tank... It wasn't a Champion brand, but I don't remember the name.. Good luck..

I second the Westinghouse I have the same unit. We lose power a lot. I try to run it every week or two between blackouts. We run it off propane. The recommendation for a large generator is at least a 500 gallon tank. Smaller will work. As far as duel full 2 ways to run it is better IMHO.

Last edited:
I like threads like this, as I learn something from 'em. I've used propane all my life: in some BBQs, in my camp stove, in my camp lantern (along with battery-powered lanterns), in my propane torch, but I've never needed a propane-powered generator, so I'm sadly deficient in knowledge when it comes to those. I get the dual fuel number, gives one options, but I like the idea of a propane-powered generator, since I have plenty of room for a tank in my yard. That setup MT has sounds like the ticket, lol. Y'all carry on, just know that your comments are appreciated! Cheers! :cool:

Not 100% positive but I am 99% sure they are derated 15-30% when run on LPG (propane) I think elevation also makes this more drastic.

A friend has had good to great service with his Predator 3500 inverter generator. I've had 3) Honda EU2000i 's go over 23,000 yes 23 thousand hours each they are worth the bucks! Sad to say none of them made it to 24,000 hours but hey 23,000 is equivalent to over 1 million miles on a car engine.

Last edited:
I second the Westinghouse I have the same unit. We lose power a lot. I try to run it every week or two between blackouts. We run it off propane. The recommendation for a large generator is at least a 500 gallon tank. Smaller will work. As far as duel full 2 ways to run it is better IMHO.
Glad to hear that it works for the intended purpose--not that you've had to test it's capabilities so often.

I chose the dual fuel for the flexibility of fuels. During Sandy, most gas stations couldn't pump. A cousin of mine collected everyone's gas cans and went up to NY on the Thruway to get us all gas. I'm also in a suburban area where space is a premium (although I'm lucky to be on just under 1/4 acre while my neighbors are existing on postage stamp lots). We always have propane tanks around--gas grill (that almost never gets used), smoker, one dedicated to the generator and a spare.

Mother Earth News used to sell a kit to convert one to run one off of natural gas/methane. methane is easy to make from pretty much any biomass, if you already have a gas well, problem solved.

Not 100% positive but I am 99% sure they are derated 15-30% when run on LPG (propane) I think elevation also makes this more drastic.

A friend has had good to great service with his Predator 3500 inverter generator. I've had 3) Honda EU2000i 's go over 23,000 yes 23 thousand hours each they are worth the bucks! Sad to say none of them made it to 24,000 hours but hey 23,000 is equivalent to over 1 million miles on a car engine.
Your right. I use a Winco 12kw propane generator to run my well pump. It's rated at 12,000 watts on propane and something like 9900 watts on natural gas.
I had an auto start controller made to start the generator, run for 10 seconds, then start the pump. After the pressure tank is full the generator will run for 90 seconds then shut down.
This generator is plumbed to a 500 tank.

Your right. I use a Winco 12kw propane generator to run my well pump. It's rated at 12,000 watts on propane and something like 9900 watts on natural gas.
I had an auto start controller made to start the generator, run for 10 seconds, then start the pump. After the pressure tank is full the generator will run for 90 seconds then shut down.
This generator is plumbed to a 500 tank.
I wonder if you could somehow run an enclosed waterwheel on a dynamo to make even more power as you filled your tank?

I've seen those little hydroelectric generators, the kind you place in streams... dunno how effective they'd be, never followed up the article. Different equipment from what Magus mentioned, but ya gotta have moving water on your property to use 'em, unless you take 'em into the field. Maybe they were just for powering smaller stuff, like camping equipment and laptops. 🤔

I wonder if you could somehow run an enclosed waterwheel on a dynamo to make even more power as you filled your tank?
That would be a fun little project. Not sure what I'd do with the power though. The pump house is 1/4 mile from the house, so it would be impractical to run wires up to the battery bank. Also, the generator typically runs a total of about 5 mins a day, unless we're watering the garden..

Charge digital devices after SHTF like in the Book of Eli?
That would be a fun little project. Not sure what I'd do with the power though. The pump house is 1/4 mile from the house, so it would be impractical to run wires up to the battery bank. Also, the generator typically runs a total of about 5 mins a day, unless we're watering the garden..

Generator came this morning, ordered Friday from Amazon. Can order something small and it takes a 10 days. Need to put wheel kit on it and the break it in for 4 hours with varying loads. It is just too hot to mess with today but if the power goes out. I wll regret not doing it. This heat is brutal, zaps all of your energy.

Turn it on and go swimming. There are two schools of thought on breaking in dirt bikes. Take care and do it methodically or just ride it like you stole it. I have done both and i still don't know which was better.

Reactions: Neb
LOTS of portable prepper goodies need to be recharged. radios, flashlights, coolers, and even some medical gear and tactical devices. the one with extra power could be the go-to after SHTF! Think of the gratitude, the good for your fellow man, the obscene profits!

LOTS of portable prepper goodies need to be recharged. radios, flashlights, coolers, and even some medical gear and tactical devices. the one with extra power could be the go-to after SHTF! Think of the gratitude, the good for your fellow man, the obscene profits!
I've got 7 generators. Does that mean that I'll become a gadzillionare? Got the fuel to run them for at least 2 years too.

You will live in relative comfort for 2 years longer than the rest of us. I live too close to metropolitan areas. May make it 6 months, unless the government chooses to send a missile up my azz. No way to defend against a Blackhawk or F14. Just glad I know our Lord and Saviour, Jesus. Not trying to piss you off Magus.

You will live in relative comfort for 2 years longer than the rest of us. I live too close to metropolitan areas. May make it 6 months, unless the government chooses to send a missile up my azz. No way to defend against a Blackhawk or F14. Just glad I know our Lord and Saviour, Jesus. Not trying to piss you off Magus.
There are countless ways that we could be taken out. I don't worry about it much. I just try to live the best I can and be thankful that our family is healthy and happy.

Latest posts

Back