Egg collection and nesting boxes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABR

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm currently designing a coop and run and I'm trying to decide how I want to do the nesting boxes.

Option 1: Build boxes external to the main part of the coop with a hinged top for easy egg collection

Option 2: Place boxes along the rear wall and use hinges to have a section of wall drop down for egg collection

Thoughts? Which would y'all choose?

I built 4 layers of egg laying boxes onto the south wall of the coop and there is insulation in the wall behind so they don't get to hot during summer days, the only thing that I need to do is install a couple of roost rails in front of the boxes to make it easier for the hens to get in the boxes, it's amazing how well they do as it is. I installed 11/2" high boards at the bottom front portion of the boxes to keep shavings or straw from falling out, it's been a good coop for many years.

I bought a few of these, (yes I could of made nests and have in the past) they screw to a wall and the front roost flips up if you want to keep the birds out of a nest. I use chopped straw for a comfy homey nest and in the winter the eggs don't freeze as fast. I only have 13 birds. As a youth we raised 500 layers and they were in snall cages and the eggs rolled out the front. Not too great of life for them.

Attachments

• 103_0110.JPG
    103_0110.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Ended up get some shallow baskets from the dollar store. They're really light though so I need to figure out a way to secure them so they stop flipping them over but they're still easy to take out and clean.

On that note I have at least 6-7 that have started laying. Most end up in the coop if not the nesting basket but today there were 2 in the run because they knocked their ramp down and were too lazy to jump/flap up in the coop :rolleyes:

Plastic milk crates rule as nests. the crazy birds jump right in them.
Just line them with cardboard to keep the eggs in. When its cleanup
time, the whole mess just lifts out. presto!

Wow, guineas sure lay in the weirdest places. Little granddaughter and I found about 60 eggs in the old barn in a trough. All on top of each other. I guess they're just going in there, hopping in, and laying on top of the other eggs. I took half of them, the ones on top, and started up the incubator. No clue if there's a chance of them being fertile or not, but I have chicken chicks coming out of my ears right now, so I'll try these.

I keep a lidded plastic garbage can full of chopped straw or softwood shaving in a corner of my small hen house for 13 chickens.
I only have three nests and they maybe use two. I just throw a handfull of fresh straw in the nests when they get thin or I scoop out the mess if a egg gets broken and just refill the nest. I keep watch to make sure none of the hens gets broody so my nests stay quite clean.

Back