Fall oats

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4402

Breaker of fixed things
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Anyone here have experience growing oats as a fall crop? Particularly in the South? Know I don't have much time to prepare but I really would like to try it for this year. Advice on harvesting? Processing? It will mostly be used for animal feed but also the pantry.

I do not, but many farmer use oats as a cover crop/winter crop here, some use it in deer plots.

file:///C:/Users/rneed/Downloads/ILGM-SPECIES_OatsForFall-SpringGrazing%20(6).pdf

If you're going to plant and process oats, I hope you already have the equipment or deep pockets. Do you already own the tillage equipment, seed drill? Do you have a combine, or the ability to buy one? How many acres are you planing on planting?
It's a good idea, if you already own the equipment, or can partner with someone.

If you're going to plant and process oats, I hope you already have the equipment or deep pockets. Do you already own the tillage equipment, seed drill? Do you have a combine, or the ability to buy one? How many acres are you planing on planting?
It's a good idea, if you already own the equipment, or can partner with someone.
True, But men grew wheat, corn & oats for hundreds of years with out any of the listed equipment.
A horse & turn plow, spread the seeds by hand.

True, But men grew wheat, corn & oats for hundreds of years with out any of the listed equipment.
A horse & turn plow, spread the seeds by hand.
That is also true. Most had large families, smaller plots and the time to devote to their crop. Even using a team of horses, a person would still need, a plow, disc, harrow and a forecart at the minimum. Its all still available at a cost. The oats can be cut by hand, dried in the sun and separated by hand.
I used work horses in the woods logging for years and loved it. I had a forecart for hitching trailers to, farm equipment etc. I built a stone boat, bobsled, snow plow and a logging arch to be pulled by a team of draft horses.

WOAH! SLOW DOWN THERE! I'm only planting like a 60x60 ft plot. Just enough to have a little for feed and food. Planning on doing everything by hand because I'm currently in the process of having an engine built and therefore am usually broke or close to it.

Back