Homemade dog food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some raw diet/cooked food recipes I use when I have the meat and offal to spare.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw-dog-food-recipes/
e0d49f4c3a88687cebf7cab2835200b4.jpg
that looks like something I would cook for us !!! LOL ( the meat would be cooked of course)

Can't afford to feed 4 big dogs ( well 3.5) on homemade dog food...so they get dry dog food plus scraps from butchering plus the organ meats we don't eat , plus some canned dog food at least once a week
I also buy $1.50 a lb ground up scrap meat from the meat processor when they have it and we go there

oh and the livestock dogs eat ground hogs and whatever else they catch i

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/easy-diy-sweet-potato-dog-chews/

So after doing a bit of ye ol' internet research, I found out it was super-duper easy to make your own. All I have to do is dry out some sweet potato slices in the oven at very low for a couple of hours. Boom. Done. The result was that some pieces were a bit dry and crunchy, but most pieces had a chewy jerky-like texture. And did Chickpea dog like them? Watch as she discovers the treats. ↓

Easy DIY Sweet Potato Dog Chews, just like the store-bought treats but a fraction of the price. Dogs love these and they make a great gift! #itdoesnttastelikechicken
Yeah, she liked them all right. Really, really went nuts for them and couldn't understand why I was teasing her with it. For photography Chickpea! You're an internet-famous dog, don't you know?

Of course, you could feed these treats to the humans of the household as well. I taste-tested them, and dried out sweet potatoes don't do much for me... But to each their own!

TO MAKE EASY DIY SWEET POTATO DOG CHEWS:

Take 2 sweet potatoes. Or you could do just 1, or 7, or however many you like! I found that 1 sweet potato took up about 1 baking sheet, so I did two baking sheets worth. Lay them all out on parchment paper-lined baking sheets in a single layer.

Home » Recipes » Dog Treats
APR 16, 2017

EASY DIY SWEET POTATO DOG CHEWS​

5 from 166 votes
| 157 Comments
Pin Recipe ↓ Jump to Recipe
Easy DIY Sweet Potato Dog Chews are here! After so many dogs (and people apparently) loved my Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Dog Treats, I thought it would be fun to make another one for the pooches. My pet store sells these sweet potato chews which Chickpea dog loves, but they are like $8 for a package!! Which, I swear, is barely 1 potato worth of slices. Seems a bit silly to me when there is only one ingredient.

homemade-sweet-potato-dog-chews.jpg

0 of 13 minutes, 10 secondsVolume 0%

So after doing a bit of ye ol' internet research, I found out it was super-duper easy to make your own. All I have to do is dry out some sweet potato slices in the oven at very low for a couple of hours. Boom. Done. The result was that some pieces were a bit dry and crunchy, but most pieces had a chewy jerky-like texture. And did Chickpea dog like them? Watch as she discovers the treats. ↓

Easy DIY Sweet Potato Dog Chews, just like the store-bought treats but a fraction of the price. Dogs love these and they make a great gift! #itdoesnttastelikechicken

Yeah, she liked them all right. Really, really went nuts for them and couldn't understand why I was teasing her with it. For photography Chickpea! You're an internet-famous dog, don't you know?
Of course, you could feed these treats to the humans of the household as well. I taste-tested them, and dried out sweet potatoes don't do much for me... But to each their own!

TO MAKE EASY DIY SWEET POTATO DOG CHEWS:

Take 2 sweet potatoes. Or you could do just 1, or 7, or however many you like! I found that 1 sweet potato took up about 1 baking sheet, so I did two baking sheets worth.

Slice them up. I sliced mine into coins because Chickpea is only a medium-little dog, but if you have a bigger dog you could slice them lengthwise for larger chews. You don't want the pieces to be too thin or they will just get crispy and not chewy. So make sure they are no thinner than ¼ inch (see above photo for reference).
I use the mandoline attachment on my food processor so it took about 7 seconds to slice the potatoes.

Lay them all out on parchment paper-lined baking sheets in a single layer.

Then just pop the little dudes in the oven for 2 ½ to 3 hours flipping once half way through until they are shrunken, dried out, and some pieces are a bit crispy, while others are a bit chewy. Let cool, then store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back