Product: HomeBiogas 4

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Never seen or heard of this, a but of a wallet buster at $1300 but would fit a niche if it works. Has anyone seen, heard, or used one?

https://www.homebiogas.com/product/homebiogas-4/
1692804193345.png

It's interesting that one of the reviewers also use it for septic since they are off grid. And I would wonder if you can only use their stove, or could you tap into a regular propane stove?
We have been looking at the wood powered boilers as a second option to heat our off grid cabin, but given that this also takes care of compost, may be a great idea.

Trivia....
It has been some time ago now, but saw a report on the home digesters that appeared to be about a bath tub size or a bit bigger.. As I recall it was said they worked OK and would produce enough gas to make a meal for instance.. They seemed to have a slow recovery time and required a lot of time and attention to keep running at there best but limited capacity.. Like everything, I hope and presume they have improved a lot..

My first full-time job out of college was with the University of MN Agricultural Engineering Department. One of the projects I worked on was biogas research at a swine farm. We used a small heated digester to make biogas from the hog manure. The gas was stored in a huge Army surplus bag, the kind of bag that paratroopers used when practicing jumping from a tower. We piped the gas to a 30kw electrical generator. The generator drained that bag in 5 minutes.

Back in 4-H we made methane in a 55-gallon steel drum and stored it in truck tire inner tubes. they fill up most of the way on their own, then you have to use a hand pump, AKA
Jerry rigged tire pump. you could cook all day on one tire if you watched yourself.

It's interesting that one of the reviewers also use it for septic since they are off grid. And I would wonder if you can only use their stove, or could you tap into a regular propane stove?
We have been looking at the wood powered boilers as a second option to heat our off grid cabin, but given that this also takes care of compost, may be a great idea.
I'd want both natural gas and propane nozzles to see which worked best in your stove.

Biogas would require multiple digesters as there is a slow buildup and a slow finish to the process. Livestock would help the process. Biogas and wood gasifiers are both dirty fuels and require filtering.

A homesteader just down the road uses one of the original versions, has the commode and all. He says they get an hour or two of gas for a single burner everyday. He's been using his several years and seems to like it.

Back