The Handcrafted Life of Dick Proenneke

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The wife has been away for a few weeks in her native county visiting family and I decided I needed get some more books. My favorite bookstore is about 650 miles round trip from me in Homer, Alaska. Last week I made the trip and picked up a copy of The Handcrafted Life of Dick Proenneke written by Monroe Robinson.

Monroe is a gifted woodworker who was befriended by Dick. After Dick left Twin Lakes, the Nation Park Service hired Monroe to maintain his cabin and he did this for 19 years. His wife worked for the national park service and served as the guide at his property during this period. Apparently she was the one who gave my wife and me our tour when we visited in 2011.

The book of some 436 pages incorporates Dick Proenneke’s journal writings with a focus on the tools and craftsmanship of Dick Proenneke and how he used them. The book is filled with photographs of Dicks tools and handiwork, along with the typical wilderness photography taken by Dick. I am about 100 pages into it and am having a hard time putting the book down. Of course, you also get Dick’s philosophical, no BS discourse from his journal all throughout.

If you are into this type of stuff, the book is excellent. Published in 2021.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/the-handcrafted-life-of-dick-proenneke.aspx
Other book reviews potentially to come.

That man was amazing.
I have watched all of his shows multiple times.
One that really impressed me on how good a craftsman he really was was when he cut the wall for his new fireplace.
Every cut was absolutely perfect. The cuts were straight, square, and parallel to each other.
All done with hand tools.
He needed a spoon for making blueberry jam. He cut a tree branch split it and then carved a spoon better than anything you could buy.

Latest posts

Back