The Mt. Goat hunt.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Thanksgiving weekend: Long ago.

We got two of the goats in the PA-12 (that is a Piper aircraft) and this is the off the charts part of this specific account, the two goats were in the plane, and I was ordered to climb in as best I could on top of the two Mt. Goats, and "Hold-on". I had wrongly assumed he would fly the goats out, and return to get me.

I could only get less than halfway into the PA-12 but held onto the top goat, and we flew back to Birchwood Airport, with my belly-button and lower parts hanging out of the door of the PA-12. I was face down in bloody goat with legs a butt sticking straight out the side of the plane, ice cold November air blowing up my pants legs. I would yell, "I am slipping", and he would reach around grab my belt and help hold me in.

It was a very cold and frightening flight.

I have hundreds of these accounts, from all over Alaska, in the last 55 years. Looking for someone skilled at recording them.

Sourdough, Either UAF or UAA was at one time doing this to help record historical activities for those who came up around your time. Unfortunately I think that stuff is recorded and packed away. All of my points of contact at the university system have retired, but let me see if I can find something out.

Maybe not what you are looking for, but UAA maintains and collects the Alaska's Digital Archives which includes oral archives. There is a “contact us” link.

https://vilda.alaska.edu/digital/

The State of Alaska DNR has the Office of History and Archaeology and issues grants to record and archive oral history. My guess, however, is that they are as useful as tits on a boar hog.

https://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/oha/index.htm

Looking for a "Jim Rearden" type of writer.
Whatever you do be sure to add photos from the past....at very least pencil illustration/drawings. It makes book so much more! Especially old photos.

The Last Bushman(Roland Welker) has a book and the classics from Short brothers in southeast.In the past year i was able to get an old original hardcover of Shorts first book "The Cheechakoes".It even has dust cover !

My most memorable experience was as a "new-clueless" (first-set) Commercial Fisherman, hired on at a set-net site on the Theadore River.
While deploying one of the nets and trying to pay serious attention to "orders" barked-out by the dory operator. I in my ignorance tossed the net anchor over the side, as the net was fully deployed. Sadly, the anchor was not attached to the net. I endured about 30 seconds of ass chewing, about how f***ing stupid could I be. I took a deep breath and dove down to find the anchor. I found it, climbed back in the dory. And was informed instantly how incredibly stupid that was, but I noticed that as he was raving at me, he was giggling his ass off and smiling ear to ear.

Note: The dory operator at the set-net site, was the same person that flew me and two Mt. Goats back to Birchwood Airport from Lake George.

Latest posts

Back