Tractors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of beasts! Yellow and green, the boys brought this tractor up to the farm and left it a few months. Great for pulling up stumps, assuming your chain is big enough!!! I broke one! 🤣

4630 JD a  (4)a.JPG

If you want specs on just about any farm tractor this place is a wealth of info, sometimes even links to Nebraska test records. https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/index.html for instance the tractor Peanut posted above was the most powerful 2 wheel drive JD built right then , there had been more powerful but the market must not have been there for a while.

If you want specs on just about any farm tractor this place is a wealth of info, sometimes even links to Nebraska test records. https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/index.html for instance the tractor Peanut posted above was the most powerful 2 wheel drive JD built right then , there had been more powerful but the market must not have been there for a while.

Excellent website! Been using it for years to look up specs. I never saw tractors like the JD 4630 in the 70's. The biggest used locally were jd 4020's and Ih 966, 80hp range. These days you need at least 100hp for serious farming.

This old ih966 is in my cousin's yard, it was his dad's tractor. Good tractor, I worked it a few times when I was a teenager. I guess I still preferred the green ones though. 😁

966 Int a  (1).JPG

The boys brought this 4020 up here when they took over the cattle operation. Left it for a couple years. I thought seriously about making an offer. At the end of the day, I got no use for it. I have no intention of row cropping or raising cows again. It’s too big for the garden. It’d just be a toy if I bought it. Had to bite my tongue, wanted it but don’t need it..

4020 JD a  (5).jpg

Last edited:
The boys brought this 4020 up here when they took over the cattle operation. Left it for a couple years. I thought seriously about making an offer. At the end of the day, I got no use for it. I have no intention of row cropping or raising cows again. It’s too big for the garden. It’d just be a toy if I bought it. Had to bite my tongue, wanted it but don’t need it..

View attachment 129845
the 148 loader caught my eye, those were a really nice strong simple stable loader. and yes it is hard not to collect too many toys. when the grass gets a little taller I will put the AR to work again, My 820 sits a lot, maybe I need a wing mower, or find 3 finishing mowers I can gang together

the 148 loader caught my eye, those were a really nice strong simple stable loader. and yes it is hard not to collect too many toys. when the grass gets a little taller I will put the AR to work again, My 820 sits a lot, maybe I need a wing mower, or find 3 finishing mowers I can gang together

I like the 148 loader too! 😁 A lot! The one on my Massey was made by bush hog. A decent loader but too slow and too quick if that makes sense. Hard to make small adjustments but slow for big adjustments. The tilt for the bucket is excruciatingly slow.

the Massey Ferguson 27 series had a beautiful cab, My son had a 2775 for a while, that cab was comfy, too bad the transmission shifter system wasn't better, and the perkins smoke factory was a little annoying, we often pulled it out of the machine shed, if we needed to go back in for other stuff, otherwise your eyes watered for hours. It was surprizingly easy on fuel, pulling the round baler etc.

the Massey Ferguson 27 series had a beautiful cab, My son had a 2775 for a while, that cab was comfy, too bad the transmission shifter system wasn't better, and the perkins smoke factory was a little annoying, we often pulled it out of the machine shed, if we needed to go back in for other stuff, otherwise your eyes watered for hours. It was surprizingly easy on fuel, pulling the round baler etc.
You forgot the picture.
I worked on a bunch of those, mostly pulling the 3-speed power-shift unit out of the front of the transmission. :(
When they ran right, farmers loved them...
The other design-flaw was the A/C filter in the top of the back of the cab (where the dirt-cloud always was):mad:.
It would clog up and the compressor would over-pressure and barf all of the refrigerant out.:(
Great tractor:
860-td4-b01-ext315.jpg

...(as long as you aren't the guy that works on them:facepalm::rolleyes:).

You forgot the picture.
I worked on a bunch of those, mostly pulling the 3-speed power-shift unit out of the front of the transmission. :(
When they ran right, farmers loved them...
The other design-flaw was the A/C filter in the top of the back of the cab (where the dirt-cloud always was):mad:.
It would clog up and the compressor would over-pressure and barf all of the refrigerant out.:(
Great tractor:
860-td4-b01-ext315.jpg

...(as long as you aren't the guy that works on them:facepalm::rolleyes:).
Paid decently I'd bet

Paid decently I'd bet
Yep. Certifications matter! :thumbs:
If warranty work is done by an uncertified tech, the factory doesn't pay, and the dealer eats the cost.
They loved me very much!:huggs:

Here's my old Kubota 2 cylinder diesel. It still cranks up everytime. It's almost 50 years old.

My old ford isn't much bigger, a 2000. I took dad and looked at a farmall cub about 10yrs ago, wanted to buy him one. The cub would have been much easier for him to handle in the garden. I was thinking of the future but he wouldn't hear of it!!! Now the ford without power steering is to much for him. (he really doesn't need to be on any tractor).

Here's my old Kubota 2 cylinder diesel. It still cranks up everytime. It's almost 50 years old.
Two 300-gallon propane tanks?! :eyeballs:
If I didn't know any better, I'd think you lived in 'hurricane-land' :p.

My old ford isn't much bigger, a 2000. I took dad and looked at a farmall cub about 10yrs ago, wanted to buy him one. The cub would have been much easier for him to handle in the garden. I was thinking of the future but he wouldn't hear of it!!! Now the ford without power steering is to much for him. (he really doesn't need to be on any tractor).
My Papaw had a Farmall Cub. You couldn't beat it for working a garden with. Play with the cultivators till they were set just right, and could get away without hoeing till the plants were too big

oh man another 2 cylinder diesel, I might be in trouble
I should probable have a 2 cylinder Kubota

The closest tractor dealer to the land we bought is a Yanmar dealer. They have tractors in stock that are the perfect size and configuration for what I need.

I hear a lot of good things about Yanmar.

What say ye?

We have been running old tractors (a Ford New Holland and three John Deeres) at the family land. My brother in law with deep pockets took care of keeping them fixed up, which was a never ending ordeal.

I want a new tractor with a warranty, LOL

Last edited:
Yanmar makes a good tractor. Avoid used grey-market as they may be hard to get parts for.
Their engines are pretty much bulletproof. I have a John Deere tractor with a Yanmar engine and in the last 28 years (since new), I've had no problems with it. If JD trusted them, I took the chance and it paid off.
I went on a cruise and was in a tender boat. Sure enough, it was running Yanmar engines.

The big thing with new tractors and warranty is a decent dealer, and for a homestead type life simple is better, Yanmar has a good reputation, never had to work on one so that is probably a good thing. One big thing is how long has the dealer been a dealer for that brand, bad dealer keep switching brands because of warranty complaints.

The big thing with new tractors and warranty is a decent dealer, and for a homestead type life simple is better, Yanmar has a good reputation, never had to work on one so that is probably a good thing. One big thing is how long has the dealer been a dealer for that brand, bad dealer keep switching brands because of warranty complaints.
I'll check into that, thanks.

Back