What is this thing growing in my driveway?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It's only growing in the rocks (not in any grassy area).
It doesn't dry up when the hot months kick in.
I've sprayed with a water/bleach combo and weed killer. Neither does anything.
What is it and how do I get rid of it.
20230503_140235.jpg

It's only growing in the rocks (not in any grassy area).
It doesn't dry up when the hot months kick in.
I've sprayed with a water/bleach combo and weed killer. Neither does anything.
What is it and how do I get rid of it.
View attachment 108352
Not sure what it's called, but I have a solution for you:
1683821529610.png

...What is it and how do I get rid of it.

🤔 ..Ruth Bader Ginsburg trying to come back Up for another run on the Bench? 🤓

Jk, yeah, that's wierd - Looks like some kind of Alien Kelp / Seaweed, but.. Inland? 🤔 Maybe try a stronger acid, like Muriatic (Hydrochloric) for Pools (should kill algae / molds) but Obviously, with Extreme Caution / appropriate PPEs, etc, and make Sure there are NO 'metal shavings' (Alum, etc) in those rocks, etc, but.. Just a thought..

But if That don't do it, yah.. I'm with Haertig - Kill it with Fire. :p

jd

It's "Nostoc cummune" aka Star Slime aka Star Jelly

It's a Cyanobacteria that absorbs nitrogen, from the air and other sources. Does this spot in your drive get run off from a well fertilized lawn? Or does water pool there while raining? Even temporarily?

Stop fertilizing your lawn and it'll go away. There are actually several dozen species, I don't know which one you have, don't study them.

A place to start...

https://bygl.osu.edu/node/1580

http://www.plant-lore.com/plantofthemonth/nostoc-commune/

It's "Nostoc cummune" aka Star Slime aka Star Jelly

https://bygl.osu.edu/node/1580
Using the link provided, I bought Scythe. (57% pelargonic acid) BTW, this stuff isn't cheap at around $100/gallon.
Now, the hard question.
Any idea what the proper mix should be (the Scythe to water mix)?
I'm going to start a batch right now at 5% which is mid-range. At that ratio, it should kill everything but this slime by all indications is pretty tuff stuff.

Excerpts from the link:
Scythe; Dow AgroSciences (pelargonic acid), 12.8 oz/gal)

Scythe (pelargonic acid) is currently labeled for use in container nurseries, so this appears to be a good option for controlling Nostoc. The 10% rate (12.8 oz./gal) is the highest labeled rate.

From me:
Thanks @Snowman!
I did see the 10% rate but didn't start there. I did a 16oz? Solo cup full for 2 gallons and hit a big patch of it. That's closer to 5%. I'll see what happens.

Quoting the link:
"It is not known if lower rates would also be effective, but even at this rate it may be cost effective because a single application did provide control for at least seven weeks"

I'm about to find out. What's disappointing is they mention 7 weeks. I want this goo gone forever!

Latest posts

Back