10,000 dead in the Philippines and counting!!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatherYeAcorns

Super Friend
Neighbor
Holy crap. I live in the Bay Area (California). We don't get typhoons or hurricanes here. But a quake will cause tsunamis. Most of the people that died in the Philippines from this typhoon died of drowning. I actually have my swimming goggles (sunglasses ?) , flippers, compass, snorkel, float vest, small Styrofoam boogie board, and swim suit in another BOB I created. I plan to have spf 30, granola bars, rope tied to half empty water bottles(each half filled with drinking water), hat, and a knife ready in case I get washed out to sea. I don't want to die from dehydration or get sunburned while I'm out there. I actually got this idea reading "Expatriots" from John Wesley Rawles new book that just came out. In it, he described a Filipino escaping an island from invading Muslims by using a surf board, tying a rope to his foot with half empty soda bottles filled with water, spf30 sunscreen, a bag filled with candy bars, and etc. Since I've gone snorkling and scuba diving in the past, I already have my gear long before I started prepping. I figure, if I can survive 1-3 days out on sea, maybe the Coast Guard will find me.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Philippine-typhoon-death-toll-could-top-10-000-4969661.php

Holy crap. I live in the Bay Area (California). We don't get typhoons or hurricanes here. But a quake will cause tsunamis. Most of the people that died in the Philippines from this typhoon died of drowning. I actually have my swimming goggles (sunglasses ?) , flippers, compass, snorkel, float vest, small Styrofoam boogie board, and swim suit in another BOB I created. I plan to have spf 30, granola bars, rope tied to half empty water bottles(each half filled with drinking water), hat, and a knife ready in case I get washed out to sea. I don't want to die from dehydration or get sunburned while I'm out there. I actually got this idea reading "Expatriots" from John Wesley Rawles new book that just came out. In it, he described a Filipino escaping an island from invading Muslims by using a surf board, tying a rope to his foot with half empty soda bottles filled with water, spf30 sunscreen, a bag filled with candy bars, and etc. Since I've gone snorkling and scuba diving in the past, I already have my gear long before I started prepping. I figure, if I can survive 1-3 days out on sea, maybe the Coast Guard will find me.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Philippine-typhoon-death-toll-could-top-10-000-4969661.php
I too live in earthquake country, Los Angeles area, and though we have a had some sizable quakes in my life time, I can't fathom the horror and misery they are facing in the Philippines.

Looks like the vast majority of the devastation was in Tacloban City with some reports saying there was almost nothing left standing:
tycloban.jpg

"Village councillor and father-of-four Edward Gualberto said he stepped on corpses as he took food from the remains of their homes.

He added: ‘I am a decent person. But if you have not eaten in three days, you do shameful things to survive. We have no food, we need water. This typhoon has stripped us of our dignity, but I still have my family and I am grateful for that.’

Medical student Jenny Chu said families had gone without food and water for days, saying: ‘People are walking like zombies looking for food. It’s like a movie.’|"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yan-powerful-storm-history.html#ixzz2kIMiHoVG

The Police Officer that gave the statement after he got the information on the count from the local government unit meeting (along with the Governor, Red Cross, and Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council) got sacked.

Now, the latest reports are that it could top 10,000. 4,000 in Tacloban, Leyte alone. Would he get reinstated?

President Pnoy also gave the same statement, would he be sacked too?

They are trying to cover up their slow response to the rescue efforts. The International Groups have responded way faster than our government has.

The BIR has issued a statement that all donations must pass through the government agencies and "accredited" organizations for these to be tax free otherwise, the donors would be taxed. What a load of you-know-what!

How do you get an accurate estimate of the number of casualties when an entire city is wiped out?

Answer: You don't.

That's the point, it was just a general estimate. All of a sudden now, the government wants to control the information that is going out. And they want to tax donations that are not coursed through them.

This is the same as Typhoon Ondoy (Bopha, i think was the international name). They said that only 500+ died. In our area alone, there were already about 45 dead and our area isn't that big.

Latest posts

Back