A close one...as tornado goes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
North Texas is like living in Oklahoma or Kansas...as one who lives and works in "Tornado Alley", anyone living in this area of the country would agree with the aptly named location. We've been blessed with great rains in the month of May, much of it welcome news for drought stricken Texas and Southern Oklahoma. On May 2, 2015, our main reservoir were at 19 percent capacity, with a long week of steady rain, it stood at just below 50%, this is great news and as we locally hold our breath, as our community leaders under pressure from greedy business people, decide whether to lift the Stage 5 drought restrictions.

While I prepared yesterday for yesterdays round of thunderstorms and potential tornadoes, I reflected how the city that I live in, has become too unprepared. Despite media releases commemorating "Terrible Tuesday" and recent devastating tornados that affected the communities of Moore, OK and other communities stricken with tornados, I've been totally perplexed by the apathy of most Americans. As my family prepared to go underneath into our bunker last night, I took a quick peak from our garage door to see not only many of my neighbors gawking skyward, siren blaring, and one of my neighbors asking me "what she should do", I said, take shelter immediately, as the tornado was on weather radar, only 7 miles away.

As my shelter has a communication/command hub, my family hunkered down to watch the weather-news on a 50 inch and I monitored the HAM/CB radios nets for incoming weather spotter news. Granted, as we finally realized the sirens were kicked off for the entire city, as spotty information from the local news and calls from panicky citizens reported tornado sittings around the city. Granted, as I watched the weather radar, I only saw only three potential "hooks" that could possibly show ample rotation to be called a "vortex". Throwing caution to the wind (no pun intended), as many families north of us, experienced devastating losses in southern Oklahoma communities and three confirmed sitting skipping across I-44, I was not prepared to risk my family for an "early all-clear". We waited for another 30 minutes before coming out of the bunker, as the storm brushed outside our city. As these super cells joined together, the fuel to help these vortexes eventually downgraded into one very elongated thunderstorm.

I give credit to the city EM, for being prudent for giving the nod for the sirens, as anyone who has experienced a tornado event will tell you..."tornados are very unstable and can appear from nowhere". As we brace for another week of rain. I praise the old man upstairs for bringing rain and hope that my neighbors take this little episode seriously to prepare for one that could happen in the future.

I know it may be very unchristian not to offer my shelter, but I live in a moderately wealthy neighborhood and feel that they should plan/invest like I do. I know that sound selfish, but we've all discussed this at length...how you would handle a situation, for me, opting not to advertise my preps, is something is part of my operational security to protect my family.

Have a restful Sunday.

yeah.it's a crying shame that folks dont learn from our past.especially when they can afford to prepare for tornadoes,or what ever..i have it set up,where we receive phone calls from a locale tv station about weather issues,such as tornadoes,storms with hail included.etc etc.we dont have a basement or a bunker..so the only thing i see us doing.is grabing whats really needed,(if we have time to do so)..then getting out of dodge..

Last edited:
North Texas is like living in Oklahoma or Kansas...as one who lives and works in "Tornado Alley", anyone living in this area of the country would agree with the aptly named location. We've been blessed with great rains in the month of May, much of it welcome news for drought stricken Texas and Southern Oklahoma. On May 2, 2015, our main reservoir were at 19 percent capacity, with a long week of steady rain, it stood at just below 50%, this is great news and as we locally hold our breath, as our community leaders under pressure from greedy business people, decide whether to lift the Stage 5 drought restrictions.

While I prepared yesterday for yesterdays round of thunderstorms and potential tornadoes, I reflected how the city that I live in, has become too unprepared. Despite media releases commemorating "Terrible Tuesday" and recent devastating tornados that affected the communities of Moore, OK and other communities stricken with tornados, I've been totally perplexed by the apathy of most Americans. As my family prepared to go underneath into our bunker last night, I took a quick peak from our garage door to see not only many of my neighbors gawking skyward, siren blaring, and one of my neighbors asking me "what she should do", I said, take shelter immediately, as the tornado was on weather radar, only 7 miles away.

As my shelter has a communication/command hub, my family hunkered down to watch the weather-news on a 50 inch and I monitored the HAM/CB radios nets for incoming weather spotter news. Granted, as we finally realized the sirens were kicked off for the entire city, as spotty information from the local news and calls from panicky citizens reported tornado sittings around the city. Granted, as I watched the weather radar, I only saw only three potential "hooks" that could possibly show ample rotation to be called a "vortex". Throwing caution to the wind (no pun intended), as many families north of us, experienced devastating losses in southern Oklahoma communities and three confirmed sitting skipping across I-44, I was not prepared to risk my family for an "early all-clear". We waited for another 30 minutes before coming out of the bunker, as the storm brushed outside our city. As these super cells joined together, the fuel to help these vortexes eventually downgraded into one very elongated thunderstorm.

I give credit to the city EM, for being prudent for giving the nod for the sirens, as anyone who has experienced a tornado event will tell you..."tornados are very unstable and can appear from nowhere". As we brace for another week of rain. I praise the old man upstairs for bringing rain and hope that my neighbors take this little episode seriously to prepare for one that could happen in the future.

I know it may be very unchristian not to offer my shelter, but I live in a moderately wealthy neighborhood and feel that they should plan/invest like I do. I know that sound selfish, but we've all discussed this at length...how you would handle a situation, for me, opting not to advertise my preps, is something is part of my operational security to protect my family.

Have a restful Sunday.
First off, I am glad it was just a trial run for you and your family. I agree that I wouldn't advertise much to others near you of your foresight with your prepping. All the effort you've worked hard on to take care of your family could be wiped out quickly by needy people that ignored the signs and did nothing. I freely talk about things here with my prepper companions, but it is with the knowledge that there is a certain amount of anonymity. Even though I tell people I work with that I think being prepared is wise, I don't divulge too many details of the preps I've done.
When I was installing the locks and weatherstripping on my shelter I had an uncomfortable thing happen. I had the deadbolt working great, so I went inside and locked it, then I installed weatherstripping to seal the door. It was a little tight, and pushed enough on the door so that the lock would not turn. I didn't panic, although the urge did occur to me, and after a few minutes I had the door open. I have been planning to have some tools inside to help with escape if the door gets blocked by debris, but at this time I didn't have anything in there. So, now that I have begun storing stuff inside its time to get prepared for the possibility of being stuck. I had allready hought of a wrench to remove the carriage bolts from the door, and an axe to chop thru, and even a mini sledge and chisel to chip away at some concrete, but I got a great idea of a strong bottle jack. I think a ten ton bottle jack should be able to push just about anything away from the front of the shelter. I just need to make sure it can operate horizontally. I would appreciate any other ideas on shelter safety if you or anyone else has any. I'm lucky enough to be on high ground so flooding isn't an issue. I heard some woman was drowned in her shelter recently in one of the Midwest storms.
Another plus on the shelter is I've split some storage of things between the house and the shelter. If there is a storm, fire or break in, I figure having things in two places helps ensure my supplies won't be wiped out. I like the fact that a fire won't hurt 8" of reinforced concrete. I don't seem to have a moisture issue, but am sealing things in the vacuum sealed bags. I even stored some ammo out there. Speaking of storing things, I have been canning some more turkey broth while typing here. The timer just went off, and tomorrow I'll have another case of it to store out there.

very glad you are all okay :)
could it be that you have plans for that my friend ;)

Glad all are OK.

Can't believe that houses in tornado prone areas aren't MANDATED to be built with storm cellars. Just boggles the mind.

Even during our hurricanes here, in FL most we'd see is an F2. I've actually seen two of these (driven through debris blown by one, once.....was getting to my brother, so had to brave it) far closer than I'd care to again, so I can only imagine an F4.

Latest posts

Back