Adjusting preparedness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_marsh

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
In the next few weeks I will go from having a well-supplied live in country refuge safely away from a dense population center to being right in the middle of the **** show without the vast majority of my preps and armaments readily at hand. To be fair I often find myself away from the compound and rely on my get home bag to help ensure that I am able to return. What's happening now however, is a whole other level of putting myself into the very place I don't want to be if survival is my primary concern.

My short term response to this is two fold: (1) Turn my Chevy Colorado into a well equipped ready to go escape and evade vehicle that will sit inside the storage facility with many other supplies, and (2) inventory and upgrade my 72 hour bag and make a plan with multiple contingencies to get myself, the lady and her daughter from wherever we are when the SHTF to said storage facility. I also plan to talk to the storage facility owner about making that unit my temporary BOL for the time being. In which case I would need or want additional supplies for that purpose.

I haven't sold my Honda Ruckus yet, and am starting to think maybe I should keep it and even buy a second one. Might be easier to flee the city in a small easily to maneuver vehicle than a Dodge Challenger. I only need to make it about 18 miles.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

The big part that I see as most concern are the other members of you bug out group, will they drop what theuy are doing at a moments notice?? and understand that there may be false starts. By you self, it is not much problem , with maybe not so awares it could get sketcky, just my observation.

The big part that I see as most concern are the other members of you bug out group, will they drop what theuy are doing at a moments notice?? and understand that there may be false starts. By you self, it is not much problem , with maybe not so awares it could get sketcky, just my observation.

Both of these ladies are strong willed and dominant women. I am 99% sure that the lady would follow my lead in bad situation, I am less certain when it comes to her child. I think however as I am around them, talk about opsec and situational awareness, take them shooting and introduce them to the world of self-protection and survival, they will take a few steps in the right direction. They both already seem very open to these things and feel the world is becoming a scarier place.

In the next few weeks I will go from having a well-supplied live in country refuge safely away from a dense population center to being right in the middle of the **** show without the vast majority of my preps and armaments readily at hand. To be fair I often find myself away from the compound and rely on my get home bag to help ensure that I am able to return. What's happening now however, is a whole other level of putting myself into the very place I don't want to be if survival is my primary concern.

My short term response to this is two fold: (1) Turn my Chevy Colorado into a well equipped ready to go escape and evade vehicle that will sit inside the storage facility with many other supplies, and (2) inventory and upgrade my 72 hour bag and make a plan with multiple contingencies to get myself, the lady and her daughter from wherever we are when the SHTF to said storage facility. I also plan to talk to the storage facility owner about making that unit my temporary BOL for the time being. In which case I would need or want additional supplies for that purpose.

I haven't sold my Honda Ruckus yet, and am starting to think maybe I should keep it and even buy a second one. Might be easier to flee the city in a small easily to maneuver vehicle than a Dodge Challenger. I only need to make it about 18 miles.

Anything else I should be thinking about?
Only thing that came to mind is if the storage unit is fenced and power is out, will you be able to get in.
I would not suggest talking to the storage unit manager- their insurance doesn’t allow folk to “reside” there so it will be shot down. If it comes to that, just do it and don’t say anything.

Two of my three vehicles have 2” receivers front and rear. I also have two racks that will hold three 15 gallon or five 5 gallon jugs of fuel each. Trying to go 18 miles then you would be happy with a full tank but the racks can hold many things. I have one duffel bag that is made for my racks.

Only thing that came to mind is if the storage unit is fenced and power is out, will you be able to get in.
I would not suggest talking to the storage unit manager- their insurance doesn’t allow folk to “reside” there so it will be shot down. If it comes to that, just do it and don’t say anything.

The guy who owns the storage place is some kind of prepper or survivalist, I don't know exactly what he is but he traded me some military-only ammunition for a gun safe and eluded to 'preparing for the coming strife' and 'when the wars come to our shores'. My FFL guy put us together and said we were "like minded". Since then he has been bending over backwards to give me good deals and wants to do some "training" with me. He is a wealthy guy and his primary businesses are secure storage, gun safes, security & surveillance systems and armed/unarmed security I have a feeling that if the SHTF he will be open to my request, especially if it means helping keep his property safe & secure.

Two of my three vehicles have 2” receivers front and rear. I also have two racks that will hold three 15 gallon or five 5 gallon jugs of fuel each. Trying to go 18 miles then you would be happy with a full tank but the racks can hold many things. I have one duffel bag that is made for my racks.

I have a hitch mounted rack for the the back of my Chevy that can hold an additional 450lbs, didn't even think about adding one to the front. I have also seen people people roof racks on them as well. Having extra fuel is definitely a good idea. I also intend to add some additional lighting that is controlled by a toggle.

Are the three of you always together? What is the likelihood you will all be together when SHTF? A meeting point, maybe the storage area will be your meeting point. I had the same thought as LadyLocust. Do you always have access to your storage area? Is there enough room and supplies for three including the more delicate topic (bodily functions)?

Call me crazy, but why are you leaving a secure fortified area to go to the middle of a xxxx show? If it is above my pay grade, I understand.

Are the three of you always together? What is the likelihood you will all be together when SHTF? A meeting point, maybe the storage area will be your meeting point. I had the same thought as LadyLocust. Do you always have access to your storage area? Is there enough room and supplies for three including the more delicate topic (bodily functions)?

Call me crazy, but why are you leaving a secure fortified area to go to the middle of a xxxx show? If it is above my pay grade, I understand.

Not for the next 6 months or so, then I am fairly confident that we will all live in the same structure. Of course even then we won't always be together. I imagine I will be with them a large amount of the time however.

The storage unit is actually outside of the city, is large and sturdy and is well defended, presuming the guards don't run off if the SHTF. Once my stuff is there I will have many months worth of supplies for 3+ people. I have some toilet based stuff but I also have a shovel and ample area of dirt/grass.

Good question. I am willingly being lead into the rocks by a siren song, only the rock is a city and the siren is an amorous and attractive woman who seems to have tapped into my cerebral control center. Eventually I will have a remote cabin or structure but for now her business and need to live in the city, and my desire to be where she exists, is trumping my desire for security and possible some of my common sense.

I have a hitch mounted rack for the the back of my Chevy that can hold an additional 450lbs, didn't even think about adding one to the front. I have also seen people people roof racks on them as well. Having extra fuel is definitely a good idea. I also intend to add some additional lighting that is controlled by a toggle.
on the toggle controlled lighting, you might want to consider adding some blackout toggles as well, IE brake and signal light power, interior light power, nanny light controls etc hard to "sneak if the "auto function"turns on your lights for you

I will avoid comment on your common sense... ;)

I chased a skirt to Honduras and lived there for 4 years. OK, I worked for her father and she seduced me. It wasn't my fault. So I can't blame you for this prediciment you are in. ;)

Down south you are always ready to bug out. I had a live-aboard sailboat in FL and I'd leave my truck with all my stuff in the shell, in a storage unit near the Miami Airport. It had power for a trickle charger, that's important. I'd go back and forth about every 3-4 months for a few days. Never had a problem. I also had a shack and GF in Belize for a little RnR. Good times, amazing I lived through it.

I'm confused though, you had/have a rural home 18 miles from the city? Or it's 18 miles to the storage? You can hike that. Probably need to in an urban shtf. Any storm evacs in the area? That's a tell on traffic. Why can't you keep your truck where you live? Parking? Theft? Or the aforementioned traffic?

Where are you going to bug out to? Is there security there? I'd go with your truck and bicycles for backup. Have fun.

I will avoid comment on your common sense... ;)

I chased a skirt to Honduras and lived there for 4 years. OK, I worked for her father and she seduced me. It wasn't my fault. So I can't blame you for this prediciment you are in. ;)

Down south you are always ready to bug out. I had a live-aboard sailboat in FL and I'd leave my truck with all my stuff in the shell, in a storage unit near the Miami Airport. It had power for a trickle charger, that's important. I'd go back and forth about every 3-4 months for a few days. Never had a problem. I also had a shack and GF in Belize for a little RnR. Good times, amazing I lived through it.

I'm confused though, you had/have a rural home 18 miles from the city? Or it's 18 miles to the storage? You can hike that. Probably need to in an urban shtf. Any storm evacs in the area? That's a tell on traffic. Why can't you keep your truck where you live? Parking? Theft? Or the aforementioned traffic?

Where are you going to bug out to? Is there security there? I'd go with your truck and bicycles for backup. Have fun.

18 miles to the storage facility.

I drive a Dodge Challenger, the pickup is just my utility truck that sits most of the time. I was going to sell it but decided it might make a better bug out vehicle than the car.

The storage place is like Fort Knox. They house rich people's Ferraris, classic convertibles, vintage Harley's and other stuff wealthy people buy to play with and eventually sell for 2-3x as much as they bought them for. I could not afford to even have a stall there is it wasn't for the owner who seems to be hyper curious about my time in the military and as a contractor cutting me a deal.

18 miles to the storage facility.

I drive a Dodge Challenger, the pickup is just my utility truck that sits most of the time. I was going to sell it but decided it might make a better bug out vehicle than the car.

The storage place is like Fort Knox. They house rich people's Ferraris, classic convertibles, vintage Harley's and other stuff wealthy people buy to play with and eventually sell for 2-3x as much as they bought them for. I could not afford to even have a stall there is it wasn't for the owner who seems to be hyper curious about my time in the military and as a contractor cutting me a deal.
OK, yeah then you could drive the challenger or walk to the storage, or the Honda as needed, then either take both vehicles to your BOL or the truck, assuming it ran. I never had any problems with mine, it was just a regular place with an on site mgr.

Maybe you could swap some training for space rent?

I have roof racks on both Jeeps and I bought light bars for the Dakota and the side by side. One Jeep has very bright driving lights that I have used repeatedly while driving through Canada. You can only use lights like that when there is no oncoming traffic.

Latest posts

Back