AS IT ALWAYS IS, AS IT SHOULD BE

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
England WON against the Aussies in Rugby 30-6
Scotland LOST against the Kiwis in Rugby 17-22

As it should be :)

its a real pity the Americans dont play REAL Rugby because the way their Soccer team is coming along they would soon be a world class team. Bloody Finns would just pile into a Rugby Scum and stab everyone to death :)

SE, I can tell you exactly why rugby isn't very big in the U.S.

Ambulance Chasers

Rugby injury rates are three times higher than association football (soccer) injury rates. "Soccer moms" think their little darlings are safe playing soccer. They would be aghast at rugby. And the tort lawyers would have a field day, as they are having right now over American football head injuries. Association football is a politically correct sport (which is why many Americans HATE it, LOL), but I seriously doubt whether rugby would ever be politically correct. Too "manly" LOL!

BTW, when I was a lad, what we called "soccer" is now known at "kickball" or "soccer baseball." Almost ubiquitous, we played that at school during PE. Played just like baseball but with a soccer ball, and you could throw the ball at a runner to get him out. We knew there was another kind of soccer (association football), and we had a modifier to distinguish them. We called one of them "kick soccer" and the other just "soccer" - I can't remember which was which.

SE, I can tell you exactly why rugby isn't very big in the U.S.

BTW, when I was a lad, what we called "soccer" is now known at "kickball" or "soccer baseball." Almost ubiquitous, we played that at school during PE. Played just like baseball but with a soccer ball, and you could throw the ball at a runner to get him out. We knew there was another kind of soccer (association football), and we had a modifier to distinguish them. We called one of them "kick soccer" and the other just "soccer" - I can't remember which was which.

We call Soccer football because you KICK the ball around, You guys play AMERICAN FOOTBALL which you carry around ???? :) Get what you mean about hysterical mummies, many over here want to ban Rugby as to dangerous, they have more chance of banning Tea and Fish n Chips

I once met an English Rugby league player some years ago who has played a friendly match against New Zealand, I asked him what action did you take when you saw the giant Jonah Lomu chasing you down in the match.......... "I cried and prayed" was the reply.

We used to have a lot more kicking in the game. Drop kicks were common at one time. The American football resembled a rugby ball at that time. But when they made the ball more pointy for better aerodynamics, it wouldn't bounce consistently enough to do a drop kick, so drop kicks are rare as hen's teeth now. The last successful drop kick in college football was in 1998.

The university I went to had such a good punter and defense back in the 1960s that they would sometimes punt on first down just to get better field position. And in the 1970s, they had such a good place kicker (and lousy running game) that they would sometimes win games on just field goals.

Every once in a while you'll see a team now that has such an excellent place kicker that they can win games on field goals, but it's rare. Arena football has even less kicking.

Latest posts

Back