Auction hunting as a way to help prep.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGirl07

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Okay guys I need your help on this one I have recently been watching the show auction hunting I was wondering if anybody would be able to teach me how to recognize potential worthy items to sell to make money for more prepping or an item I find can be used for prepping?

What you are asking can fill volumes of pages ;)

My wife who goes antiquing all the time taking her (so-called) smart phone, if she see's something she likes she looks on ebay and checks the going price to see if it is worth the asking price using the phone, that is one way she checks! the other way is knowing what is in demand at the moment and what isn't.

For me, I know older Coleman products always sell. Last year or the year before we was bargain hunting and I found a Coleman 2-burner duel fuel stove that included a propane conversion kit at a second hand store, the stove was in very nice condition, I posted it here somewhere on my find, I paid something like $12.00, I sold it for almost a $100.

You have to know the current going price and demand, like oil, that changes daily ;)

Something is "worth" only what someone will actually "pay" for it....so a lot of times, some of these shows are very misleading. Still, you have to realize that most of the folks who make money at it tend to specialize, and it is their knowlege (vs. the seller's lack of knowledge) that is the reason for their success.

The shows DON'T show you the things they buy that they then have trouble selling or finding a buyer....

Not to poo poo the idea, just some helpful advice. No doubt, if you find the right stuff, you can sell it on ebay for profit to the right buyer. The trick is knowing what stuff....and that covers a LOT of different fields.

Thanks and where does your wife usually do her antiquing

antique shops 'old glory' in vancouver washington to name one, it's a hole in the wall and perhaps one of the best little shops I ever been in, generally we go to the small towns in and around the coast in oregon and washington, the tri-city area in eastern washington and the dalles oregon, I go to the dalles mainly for old wood working hand tools primarily late 19th century wood smoothing and cutting tools not to collect but to use.

we do a lot of buying at "car boots"(an open air market where people sell straight from their car boot or trunk), also Sunday markets, we don't resell anything but purchase what is useful for our prepping.

There is alot of estate auctions here where mabe the old folks pass away and the youngsters are saleing their stufff or some other reason . I don't go mabe I should but my Mother in law knows I like old stuff and Military surplus she has brought me 2 Civil War Bible's one stamped and issued to a Union Soldier but ended up in Confeaderate hands . Lots of old tools and other Prepper/homesteading items from old farm estates being auctioned .

Antique Shops + Small Towns + Area with lots of elderly = shops that don't know what they have. They get estate deals and just try and clear out the merch quick. There are a couple by me, where I've found some incredible things for next to nothing. Of course, my goal is different, usually I'm looking for old-fashioned versions of power tools, things like that.....but still, I've seen many items that I know I could have bought and resold for ten times as much easy.

we do a lot of buying at "car boots"(an open air market where people sell straight from their car boot or trunk), also Sunday markets, we don't resell anything but purchase what is useful for our prepping.

May I ask what kinda preps you get?

Antique Shops + Small Towns + Area with lots of elderly = shops that don't know what they have. They get estate deals and just try and clear out the merch quick. There are a couple by me, where I've found some incredible things for next to nothing. Of course, my goal is different, usually I'm looking for old-fashioned versions of power tools, things like that.....but still, I've seen many items that I know I could have bought and resold for ten times as much easy.

How do I find out if my area has stuff like that?

May I ask what kinda preps you get?

In addition to tools, just any kind of old world kitchen gadget (that now has a modern electric option), farming needs, clothes, jackets (especially these, can get some really nice jackets and coats for next to nothing). About a week ago, I got two high-end brand (faux) fur-trimmed coats in nearly new condition, for $15 each. The wife was ecstatic.

How do I find out if my area has stuff like that?

Internet typically has some different tools that vary by area. Could be as simple as just a Google search for nearby antique shops, or there may be different antiquing groups in your area, that can direct you to specific stores. Especially look for areas (and you could Google on census results) that have a high concentration of the elderly, as these shops will typically be stocked via estate liquidations, which are good for the following reasons: 1) relatives simply selling all items off for one low price to the antique stores to get rid of the items, 2) shops see so much stuff, they likely don't know what they have, as they too try and liquidate it, 3) these folks will have more items that are older from times when they didn't have modern solutions to use instead.

In addition to tools, just any kind of old world kitchen gadget (that now has a modern electric option), farming needs, clothes, jackets (especially these, can get some really nice jackets and coats for next to nothing). About a week ago, I got two high-end brand (faux) fur-trimmed coats in nearly new condition, for $15 each. The wife was ecstatic.

Internet typically has some different tools that vary by area. Could be as simple as just a Google search for nearby antique shops, or there may be different antiquing groups in your area, that can direct you to specific stores. Especially look for areas (and you could Google on census results) that have a high concentration of the elderly, as these shops will typically be stocked via estate liquidations, which are good for the following reasons: 1) relatives simply selling all items off for one low price to the antique stores to get rid of the items, 2) shops see so much stuff, they likely don't know what they have, as they too try and liquidate it, 3) these folks will have more items that are older from times when they didn't have modern solutions to use instead.

I can tell you right now hands down unless the **** hit the fan I would never own a fur coat but with that being said the other things sound promising the only bad thing is i wish I had more experience in knowing about antiques and stuff

Latest posts

Back