Baverian Pressack (canned pork meat)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prepper Safrica

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This Bavarian recipe for canned pork meat (Pressack) is one of my favourites (just finished a patch of 12 jars) and is eaten on bread or with potatoes (boiled or fried) and pickles. Of course it goes well with mustard and sauerkraut but always has to be enjoyed cold as it will lose shape and consistency if heated up.

2.3 lb Pork Meat from head, belly and eisbein (incl. fat and skin)
0.1 ounce ground Black Pepper
0.7 ounce Salt
1 tablespoon Marjoram (if not available use oregano)
0.15 ounce Cumin (whole cumin chopped into smaller pieces)
1 pack galantine

Boil the pork meat in little water for 15 minutes and set aside to cool – save the water for later use.
Cut the meat (meat, fat and skin) in small cubes (1/3 x 1/3 inch) and mix with spices, herbs and galantine
Pack tightly into jars and fill with the water in which the meat was cooked
Close with lid and boil at 212 deg. Fahrenheit for 120 minutes

Yes, it is eaten like cold meat - will take a picture of how it looks as soon as I open a jar. After cooking it is a good idea to let it sit for a few days for the taste to develop.

This Bavarian recipe for canned pork meat (Pressack) is one of my favourites (just finished a patch of 12 jars) and is eaten on bread or with potatoes (boiled or fried) and pickles. Of course it goes well with mustard and sauerkraut but always has to be enjoyed cold as it will lose shape and consistency if heated up.

2.3 lb Pork Meat from head, belly and eisbein (incl. fat and skin)
0.1 ounce ground Black Pepper
0.7 ounce Salt
1 tablespoon Marjoram (if not available use oregano)
0.15 ounce Cumin (whole cumin chopped into smaller pieces)
1 pack galantine

Boil the pork meat in little water for 15 minutes and set aside to cool – save the water for later use.
Cut the meat (meat, fat and skin) in small cubes (1/3 x 1/3 inch) and mix with spices, herbs and galantine
Pack tightly into jars and fill with the water in which the meat was cooked
Close with lid and boil at 212 deg. Fahrenheit for 120 minutes

The 1 pack of galantine; is it the french galantine or gelatin? reason I ask, I only seen galantine here with the meat already added (poultry)

Isn't SPAM just cheap enough to buy vs. make? :)

Sorry, just kidding, though it sounds a LOT like it.....

If you boil the whole head, you could probably leave out the gelatin, kinda like when making headcheese. When you boil the whole thing, it makes a natural gelatin. Recipes are very similar. I pressure can mine for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure. It's good when sliced and pan fried. Used for sandwiches and breakfast. Never even thought of the potato or pickle idea. . . Thanks!

The 1 pack of galantine; is it the french galantine or gelatin? reason I ask, I only seen galantine here with the meat already added (poultry)
I am using a 1o gromm (o.35 ounce) pack of clear and unflavoured galatine to ensure the liquid really sets. The kind of gelantine you make jelly - if this helps.

Last edited:
If you boil the whole head, you could probably leave out the gelatin, kinda like when making headcheese. When you boil the whole thing, it makes a natural gelatin. Recipes are very similar. I pressure can mine for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure. It's good when sliced and pan fried. Used for sandwiches and breakfast. Never even thought of the potato or pickle idea. . . Thanks!

Only a pleasure. You are completely right about boiling the whole head. I only make small patches and where I live it is hard to come by a pigs head. I actually buy my meat at the supermarket - leg roast and belly which does have a fair amount of fat and skin but also quite a lot of lean meat - so - just to make sure it sets I add the galantine. Speaking of which – that way you can go easier on the fat / skin making a low fat version.

Canning meat needs high temperature and it is a good idea to use a pressure canner. However, I live at sea level and ad some salt to the water in which I boil the jars so I can reach high enough temperature for meat canning (hence the extended time).

As promised - here the pictures - the pickels are homemade "Senfgurken" - Mustard Cucumber.

pressack2_28Oct2014.jpg

pressack1_28Oct2014.jpg

Only a pleasure. You are completely right about boiling the whole head. I only make small patches and where I live it is hard to come by a pigs head. I actually buy my meat at the supermarket - leg roast and belly which does have a fair amount of fat and skin but also quite a lot of lean meat - so - just to make sure it sets I add the galantine. Speaking of which – that way you can go easier on the fat / skin making a low fat version.

Canning meat needs high temperature and it is a good idea to use a pressure canner. However, I live at sea level and ad some salt to the water in which I boil the jars so I can reach high enough temperature for meat canning (hence the extended time).
It's Okay girl. . . I am not a canning police :p! I tend to can sooo many different things that our current FDA would have a heart attack with, but yet it is considered "safe" in other areas around the world. It is just crazy now days with our canning regulations and so many will argue with the "nontraditional" ways.

It's Okay girl. . . I am not a canning police :p! I tend to can sooo many different things that our current FDA would have a heart attack with, but yet it is considered "safe" in other areas around the world. It is just crazy now days with our canning regulations and so many will argue with the "nontraditional" ways.

Canning Regulations??? Sorry does the goverment subscribe how you preserve your food??? Or do you sell whatever you can - that would be a different story.

Canning Regulations??? Sorry does the goverment subscribe how you preserve your food??? Or do you sell whatever you can - that would be a different story.
FDA puts out a 'how to guide' and there are some who tends to stick to what it says to do. The guide even warns about not using any non approved canning recipes, as in the ones you get from friends or family because you can get botulism and get very sick and die from these. Your water bath method of canning meat, even with the added salt in the water and longer process time would not be an approved method, though that is the way our ancestors did it. And no, no one will come get you but you can catch hell from people who strictly believe in the FDA regulations and take it as the 'Bible of Canning'.

Oooops - I better refer in future to your FDA guidelines :) and keep my home canning methods quite. Still I got a few cool recipies up my sleve which I will share with you over time. Where would I get the FDA guidelines for home canning - any resources?

Please share your canning recipes! I would love to get them as I like to try out new things. I have gotten many old style recipes, some I have adapted, others I tend to leave as is. . . Just depends on the ingredients really on how I proceed in the processing. This is the official site http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html Honestly I had never heard of adding salt to the water to get the higher increase in temperature so you taught me something. As for the water bath method of meats the (Vintage 1942) Kerr Time Table was 180 minutes, except fish was 240. I'll try to get it uploaded if I can.

Latest posts

Back