BBQ Slaw

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_r

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Just had some chopped BBQ for lunch. Guests asked me for my BBQ Slaw recipe. It's a common request and no family secret or anything. Matter of fact it's a basic recipe that's commonly known. I thought I would share it here.

4 cups finely chopped cabbage
2/3 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of hot pepper sauce

Mix everything except the cabbage together well. Pour over cabbage and mix until covered. Chill for at least one hour before serving.

Add your own twist if desired. More sugar, add mustard, replace the ketchup with your favorite BBQ sauce. I generally serve the basic recipe though.

OLD FASHIONED SLAW

Dressing:
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
salt, to taste
real mayonnaise

Salad:
1 head cabbage, finely shredded
2 carrots, finely grated
1 large onion (chopped)

Dressing:
In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil and continue cooking until sugar is dissolved. Cool and mix with an equal amount of mayonnaise.

Salad Preparation:
Wash, core and thinly slice/shred or chop cabbage. (The thin slicing disc of the food processor makes this an easy job, or a hand grater can be used). Toss with enough dressing to moisten the cabbage. Refrigerate.

NOT real Slaw if it DON'T have Onion !..............

The spousal unit who is southern, but from close to the Mason Dixon likes white slaw. I think she might have crossed the border once too many times!

Just Funnin! :stir pot:

But seriously, I grew up on red slaw. Probably never saw white slaw until I was 10 or 12. Just a few short years ago you could not find white slaw in any of the local restaurants. With the influx of newcomers though, white slaw is becoming common here. At least they still serve red slaw as well.

As for me, I don't like white slaw. If it's got mayonnaise in it, I don't eat it.

Back