beans n ham with cornbread

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
im cooking up beans and ham as i sit here n type this.and will be cooking up some cornbread muffins as well..now im wondering..what do everyone else do to fix up their beans n ham to add flavor...

i've added the ham bone..(which is a must) :)...i've also added some pinto bean seasoning..

The wife typically soaks the beans with a bit of pinch of salt/pepper/onions/a clove of garlic the night before. She then fishes out the garlic clove just before placing the beans in the slow cooker, places it in her Pampered Chef Garlic Mincer and then squeezes the garlic into the water. One spoon full of chicken broth concentrate and then throws the bone or Hamhock in there. Then if we have any leftover slices of ham, she chops that up.

Same procedure is used on split pea soup...but we use to bags, soak it over night, then place 3/4 of the peas in the soup...wait another 2 hours than add the rest of the peas. This way, you get some peas and not just the broth.

My grandmothers recipe for cornbread comes right out of the Betty Crocker Cook book...only thing is I use a seasoned cast iron skillet and bake the cornbread in it. Also since my daughter loves her Cracker Barrel biscuits, I roll out some buttermilk biscuits and place them in another skillet. Served with honey butter on a cold day or rainy day...warms the old bear right up.

Okay Jim, you made me hungry for bean and pea soup now...and its 100 degrees here in Texas.

I put my beans in the slow cooker, no soaking involved, add in my water, chopped onions, garlic and either sausage, ham hock or ham bones. Cook until beans are tender then throw in some salt, pepper, chili powder and make up a roux out of flour and butter to add in for a thickener (on those really busy day, I'll just put some cornstarch in water to add in). Serve over rice with cornbread muffins.

Onions and garlic sauteed in olive oil, organo, rosemary, cayenne pepper and any other herbs and spices that happen to be within arms reach :). The sauteed onions will thicken things up as they dissolve.

I often substitute venison sausage for the ham (which has pork fat in it)

If it is pinto beans I add a chunk of salt pork and teaspoon of salt . Slow cook or crock pot . Searve with cornbread with Banna pepper or white onion on the side .

Latest posts

Back