Black colleges

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFreedom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
http://www.ajc.com/news/local/year-...us-lower-than-percent/TH1IXkSReeQEFQnnMjbxQN/

The table below didn't format right, I cleaned up the first 2 rows to show you how to read it. Basically it's the percentage of college students who graduate within 6 years of starting. Rates are listed for 2010 and for 2015.

Now compare University of Georgia, a 'normal' college. 80-85% graduation rates. That's actually higher than I thought was possible. At the very bottom, all colleges together averaged 48-59% graduation rates. That's what I would expect.

But some of the black colleges: 5%, 4%, 6%, the first one (Arkansas Baptist College) had a whopping 2% graduation rate in 2010! The best of the black colleges was a mere 17% graduation rate.

I don't know. I can't imagine a college is worth the effort when 1 in 20 students graduate. That's the lowest bar: get a degree.

Your thoughts?

School and 6-year graduation rate 2010 2015
Arkansas Baptist College 2% 5%
Virginia University of Lynchburg 5% 5%
Harris-Stowe State University 13% 7%
Concordia College Alabama 4% 10%
Southwestern Christian College 10% 10%
Texas College 6% 13%
Paul Quinn College 9% 13%
Le Moyne-Owen College 17% 13%
Southern University New Orleans 4% 14%
Other selected colleges, for comparison 2010 2015
University of Georgia 80% 85%
Georgia State University 48% 58%
Spelman College 70% 76%
Morehouse College 57% 51%
Clark Atlanta University 43% 38%
U.S. average, all colleges 48% 59%

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/year-...us-lower-than-percent/TH1IXkSReeQEFQnnMjbxQN/

The table below didn't format right, I cleaned up the first 2 rows to show you how to read it. Basically it's the percentage of college students who graduate within 6 years of starting. Rates are listed for 2010 and for 2015.

Now compare University of Georgia, a 'normal' college. 80-85% graduation rates. That's actually higher than I thought was possible. At the very bottom, all colleges together averaged 48-59% graduation rates. That's what I would expect.

But some of the black colleges: 5%, 4%, 6%, the first one (Arkansas Baptist College) had a whopping 2% graduation rate in 2010! The best of the black colleges was a mere 17% graduation rate.

I don't know. I can't imagine a college is worth the effort when 1 in 20 students graduate. That's the lowest bar: get a degree.

Your thoughts?

School and 6-year graduation rate 2010 2015
Arkansas Baptist College 2% 5%
Virginia University of Lynchburg 5% 5%
Harris-Stowe State University 13% 7%
Concordia College Alabama 4% 10%
Southwestern Christian College 10% 10%
Texas College 6% 13%
Paul Quinn College 9% 13%
Le Moyne-Owen College 17% 13%
Southern University New Orleans 4% 14%
Other selected colleges, for comparison 2010 2015
University of Georgia 80% 85%
Georgia State University 48% 58%
Spelman College 70% 76%
Morehouse College 57% 51%
Clark Atlanta University 43% 38%
U.S. average, all colleges 48% 59%
That's the problem with affirmative action and quotas; results don't matter.

I taught at Tuskegee Institute briefly. I would have liked to stay on but they would not meet my salary requirements. The students I taught were dead serious about getting an education. Tuskegee has a 45.5% graduation rate.

If you don't know about Tuskegee, Google "Tuskegee Airmen", "George Washington Carver" and "Booker T Washington"

Latest posts

Back