"BODY BAGS"..........Might be of greater value then "More Ammo".

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Interesting that not much information on how many "Body Bags" a prepper should have on hand. There is a surprising range of quality and features. And price reflects that. Still, they are cheap, or relatively cheap. Interesting that AMAZON.COM has so many models. Especially for the retail market.

If you deliver a body to the VA for burial it needs to be wrapped in two body bags or a coffin.

EDIT: Burial is for sanitation. Body bags are for sanitation and convenience in moving. Put a driver license in with the body for later identification.

If it comes to it and there are a lot of bodies around, I will go " scavenge " an excavator and make a pit to prevent disease, of make a big fire.

I see body bags as a luxury and convenience, not a necessity. Nice to have. Can help lessen the spread of disease in mass casualty situations. But not really essential for individual/family prepping IMHO. Might be OK if you have extra money to spend in your prepping. Body bags don't get rid of bodies. That's the real problem. Not the temporary storage of them.

Getting rid of bodies could be problematic. I'm not capable of digging a grave by hand for even one person. My wife couldn't either. We'd have to rent a backhoe and pre-dig some graves in our backyard, ready to go for when needed. That's a bit morbid and not confidence inspiring. I could see if one was serious about body disposal - maybe buy one of those cattle/horse metal watering troughs and some gasoline and matches to have on hand. Incineration seems like the quickest, safest and easiest route to me. I can imagine some pre-death uses for a trough in post SHTF scenarios too. So it might be a multi-use item (well, up until the first time you have to use it to burn a body). After that, using it to store water for household use wouldn't be high on my "want to do this" list.

We'd have to rent a backhoe and pre-dig some graves in our backyard, ready to go for when needed.
If that was an option, then things are not very bad.

Body bags are for times of peace. In times of war you leave the dead where they lay.
In Vietnam enemy dead were buried whenever possible, for sanitation purposes.
Multiple dead bodies are a big disease risk.
I would not waste time with body bags - then you still have the disease risk but in a more concentrated form.

If there was an option to bag them, with some Id, I guess that might happen, but still getting buried

Jeremiah 7:33 King James Version​

33 And the carcases of this people shall be meat for the fowls of the heaven, and for the beasts of the earth; and none shall fray them away.

Where exactly do you move it to......??? In your reply remember there are cities with twenty million people. Even a tiny city of only 900,000 humans a 33 % die off from disease in 90 days is 300,000 bodies, dragged out to the street.

Why would you be bothered? You move the body if its in your way as far as you can anf be done. Might spend more effort if its a loved one. But in a situation of desperation you do what you can.

I agree with a lot here, dig a long pit and burn and fill as needed but the buzzards have to eat same as the worms
Who "exactly" digs this long trench/pit....??? The government is not employing some company. There is no local or regional government.

As I thought this was for home defense I would say the owner. In an urban area, get out to your bugout place before it's too late.
You're giving The EASY canned answers we all already know. There is no discovery in that. My goal is to push people to think "OUTSIDE" the known assumptions. I feel an important part of prepping is having already reflected on the parts we don't desire to consider.

The goal is to have already considered a situation. "NOT" finding oneself thinking, "wow, I should have inventoried body bags (maybe even enough for my neighbors to use, it would help contain whatever has killed 53% of the neighborhood).

Last edited:
thinking out loud and looking at history bodies were just wrapped in cloth in a cave and natural processes of decomposing and bugs eating it for approx a year and then they went in and put all bones on a shelf or in a very small stone box sometimes chiseling a name on it.

putting bodies in ground just might leach disease into water system of a spring/well etc. used for our drinking water? for me i would want to let birds of prey get at these bodies to consume the flesh and rid the disease from ground...no scientist here but that makes much more sense than a pit...especially if no body bags are to be had....if its that bad you might not have energy or time to dig a hole or maybe risk getting killed by being shot or catching a disease from body...handle it least you have to if handled at all...thinking family/friends vs. strangers.

forerunner at old forum use to put entire dead cows into his compost piles and in just a few weeks all flesh be gone and he would pull bones out....he ground them in his tub grinder and spread on fields along with compost....no i am not saying grind loved ones bones just rambled about him composting huge critters fast is all.

i mentioned before...sky burial...dont click link if sensitive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

The city where I worked has a storage box with enough body bags to wrap all 50,000 residents. Seems it is the ultimate doomsday prep.
Three years ago FEMA stocked up on caskets in fields down in Georgia by the thousands, This was confirmed by a member here, Looks like we may get the opportunity to use them, FEMA must have known something is coming

There aren't that many people here in cities, and if SHTF , they should be smart enough to exit asap, Not sure the leaving the bodies for the buzzards would be a good plan, do buzzard like chemical laden bodies

Where exactly do you move it to......???
This was my point in an earlier post. If you stockpile body bags as the original post suggested for discussion, the only difference they will make is that your bodies will be laying around in plastic bags while having no place to go. If that's the case, I'd probably prefer stockpiling blue plastic tarps. Those could be used as body wraps for the deceased, and they would have other uses prior to their final burial shroud use. I don't imagine formal body bags would be very multi-use, not like tarps anyway. They might make good rain covers. I'm guessing that body bags are more expensive than tarps. I don't want to go to Amazon and search for "body bags" to find out the price - that would surely alert the authorities to keep an eye on me!

Another reason to get the extra wide food vacuum sealer... ;)

I don't want to go to Amazon and search for "body bags" to find out the price - that would surely alert the authorities to keep an eye on me!
Against my better judgement, I went ahead and went to Amazon and did the search. They're about $25 each.
I do have the aforementioned plastic wrap, the capability to dig as needed and a lot of buzzards/varmints so my options are pretty open.

Where exactly do you move it to......??? In your reply remember there are cities with twenty million people. Even a tiny city of only 900,000 humans a 33 % die off from disease in 90 days is 300,000 bodies, dragged out to the street.
Ok what you gona do when you dont move a dead body? Just keep stepping over it in your camp site? You move it as far away as possible and reasonable. Im sure not buying body bags. Might use a tarp or sheet laying around to drag the body as far as i can way from my living spot. As far as thinking your gona be the loan surviving soul in 300,000 dead is not worth worrying about.

Back