bread pudding or mush?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirtgunsquirter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Im sitting inside. I can see my breath. I'm out of food, but I refuse to go up to the main house, and break into emergency supplies, lol, I'd never hear the end of it.

"What, one day of snow!?" :D

So. I should have gone grocery shopping over the weekend, OR looked at the weather.

But, I have bread, eggs, milk, and no sugar but lots of honey. Also hamburger, bacon, I'm not out of food. I'm just out of convenient food.

I have a single electric burner to cook on. No oven.

I have a camping pot.

I'm gonna try to make bread pudding, no recipe (because I have what I have), and see what happens.

When I read the post ‘bread pudding or mush’ I immediately thought “is there a difference”! Lol, sorry to our British friends here but I’ve always thought bread pudding was gross.
Dude, I’m thinking a bacon covered burger and a glass of milk with the ingredients mentioned. Bread pudding? Ughhhh.

All the stuff.

I need to use up that honey anyway, it's crystally.

KIMG0210.JPG

Bread, 2 eggs, and milk are in, butter on top to melt then I'll dump it in and mix, unless it's already getting solid then I'll just pour on top.

Had to turn down burner mid-typing! Cooking without an oven stinks.

Oh, crystalized honey re liquifies in a microwave really well. I’m sure a pot would work too. By the way, as you can tell from the burger stuff, I’m a die hard carnivore.

It came out to be bread pudding. If it hadn't burned a bit on the bottom, and messed up the flavor, this would have been really good. Good texture.

I'm going to do this again, stovetop bread pudding, but have the stuff on hand to make a lemon glaze.

I ended up eating flounder fillets instead of burger, with a honey mustard tartar sauce made by mixing sweet pickle juice, honey mustard, miracle whip, and shredded cheese. Way better than it sounds.

Yeah I hated bread pudding most of my life too. But every once in a while I have some really REALLY good bread pudding. It's rare, like once in a blue moon. In fact, I can really only think of two places that had good bread pudding, and one of those is long gone.

It came out to be bread pudding. If it hadn't burned a bit on the bottom, and messed up the flavor, this would have been really good. Good texture.

I'm going to do this again, stovetop bread pudding, but have the stuff on hand to make a lemon glaze.

I ended up eating flounder fillets instead of burger, with a honey mustard tartar sauce made by mixing sweet pickle juice, honey mustard, miracle whip, and shredded cheese. Way better than it sounds.
Learning to cook on different devices and ways is good prepping experience. It’s easy to get used to setting a temperature and timer in a normal oven, but cooking a decent meal over an open fire or any alternative heat source takes careful monitoring.

I love new orleans style bread pudding with bourbon sauce...

• Pudding:
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon
  • 1 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash of salt
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed French bread (about 8 ounces)
  • Cooking spray
  • Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup light-colored corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup bourbon
  • How to Make It
Step 1
To prepare pudding, combine raisins and 2 tablespoons bourbon in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain mixture in a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid.

Step 2
Combine reserved liquid, milk, and next 6 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add bread, tossing gently to coat. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with raisins, pressing gently into bread mixture. Cover with foil; chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.

Step 3
Preheat oven to 350°.

Step 4
Place dish in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake, covered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Step 5
To prepare sauce, combine 1/2 cup sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup bourbon. Serve each bread pudding piece warm with about 1 tablespoon sauce.

I had bread pudding at school and it was disgusting, there are better things I would eat in stead of that.

If you have a second pot to make a double boiler may work so it doesn't burn. I love bread pudding but hunny does not.

I love new orleans style bread pudding with bourbon sauce...

• Pudding:
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon
  • 1 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash of salt
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed French bread (about 8 ounces)
  • Cooking spray
  • Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup light-colored corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup bourbon
  • How to Make It
Step 1
To prepare pudding, combine raisins and 2 tablespoons bourbon in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain mixture in a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid.

Step 2
Combine reserved liquid, milk, and next 6 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add bread, tossing gently to coat. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with raisins, pressing gently into bread mixture. Cover with foil; chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.

Step 3
Preheat oven to 350°.

Step 4
Place dish in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake, covered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Step 5
To prepare sauce, combine 1/2 cup sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup bourbon. Serve each bread pudding piece warm with about 1 tablespoon sauce.

I do have bourbon...lol

most school meals were okay but 2 things I hated were bread pudding and spaghetti-I cant eat pasta in any shape or form it makes me want to vomit.

I didn't have a large amount of school dinners, I normally went home for lunch, but I did have them for awhile when my mother was in hospital.

Back