Cast iron pot a.k.a Dutch owen

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontte

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
as I'm qurious how many of us have this great thing???
ok,it's on the heavier side but the food you get using this,amazing.
and it's versatile aswell, you can use it in the oven, over campfire or in the oven..

I have had one as long as I can remember, although I never used it as an oven. Just a big stew pot. Or chili pot. Or spaghetti sauce pot.

I have several dutch ovens. They are quite versatile. I like to use mine for baking. They make great muffins, breads and cakes. One thing a lot of people don't realize is how easy it is to bake in them. Here is a little equation that will help in baking. Lets say you have a 12" DO take the size and x2 =24 Use 24 charcoal briquettes. Put 1/3 (8) on the bottom evenly spaced, put 2/3 (16) on the lid evenly spaced. That will bake the contents for about 45 minutes at 350'F. To vary the temp for each piece of charcoal added or subtracted affects the temp by about 25'F.
If you have different size DO you can also stack them for cooking. I have stacked 3 at one time making a single meal. Saves a lot of charcoal! They are a must have item!

Cast iron is the best! It may be heavy but even so if and when we have to bug out most of mine will be going along. I have a griddle I can fry steaks, pancakes, eggs and omelets slide off like it's teflon. A dutch oven and a few different size skillets. Some of my pieces were my grandmother's, that old and cooking like a dream. All of mine have been used on camping trips, in the oven, on the grill and on the stove top, gas and electric. They are the BEST!!

got my self a cast iron pot, my co-worker hadn't the energy to fix it up so she gave it to me, with some work it looks like new

I got a porcelain enameled covered cast iron Dutch oven off amazon not too long back. It's red, looks great and the lid seals pretty tight. I can't say enough great things about it. I'm really into one pot dishes, as I hate cleaning! This thing cooks like a cross between a crock pot and baking in the oven. The coating is easy to clean and didn't need to be seasoned. I use it a lot for soups and stews, roasts etc. I've read about using it to bake bread in as well, but haven't tried yet. I do have an old cast iron skillet that's seasoned well, and will fry some chicken occasionally in it but my cholesterol is a little high and I don't want it any worse, so I'm not using it as much now days! I liked this Dutch oven so well that I bought the 3pc skillet set that matches, but have not been really happy with it. Stuff sticks too easily when frying and it pulls the coating off, making a big mess. The moral of this story is Dutch oven good, skillets bad.;)
image.jpg

Thanks for letting us know about the porcelain skillet review. . . I love my cast iron including the dutch oven, but it ain't fancy like yours.

Latest posts

Back