Cb advice

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conservative

Friend
Neighbor
hello! Long time no see! I forgot what the name of this forum was so I had to browse around for a while. Then I saw in recent activity that Cz had posted, so I knew I had found tranquility base! I am looking at getting a C.B. radioto our in my f150 . Going to get a 102in antenna, but wondered about what radio I should get. Something for $60 or less. Though with the big antenna I got to thinking that an elcheapo radio with less bells an whistles would work. Features I think are best to have: instant emergency channel, Rf gain, swr gauge/meter, antenna warning indicator, anl , rf meter, and radio diagnostic mode. To find a single radio with all those features in one package is near to impossible, but those are the priority features I would like. Looked online at the midland 1001lwx and it had good reviews and features, but wondered if I needed that snazzy of a radio to transmit since I will be running the the 102 whip. Could I get the same range and reception out of say a Uniden PRO510XL or 520xl or even a bare bones cobra 19 series? Any help and advice is appreciated. By the way, the site here is looking better every time I come by. Keep up the Awesome job !

If it were me, I would get a good radio, I run a Connex 3300 HP it has the features you're looking for except the "emergency" channel.

My set up allows me to talk on a regular basis up to 10 miles clearly. Skip is a whole nuther subject.

So, Connex 3300HP with an ASTATIC mic, a GOOD 18 foot shielded coax and a Wilson 2000 antenna. I have about 500 bucks into my setup.

It does require a CB shop to convert the radio as it is a HAM radio, they switch one of the bands to AM for the CB.

Done right it will swing 50 watts.

I’m not really looking to spend that much. It will basically be an entertainment thing, but i would like it to be useful.

I’m not really looking to spend that much. It will basically be an entertainment thing, but i would like it to be useful.

Well, the old adage, you get what you pay for.

You could get into a Cobra 29LTD for around a hundred to a hundred twenty bucks. You would still want to have it "peaked and tweaked" with the good coax, antenna, radio and CB shop rate you'd probably still be in it for close to 300.

If you buy a run of the mill radio and cheap coax with an unmatched antenna, when you key up and speak you will sound muffled and you won't get out too far at all.

I have my setup because I drive a big truck for a living. You don't necessarily 'need' that kinda setup, but it will last and it will be fun.

I have the Galaxy DX929 in my 2500 Ram. Good cables, mount, and antenna are very important. Spend a few bucks at a good cb shop and have them tune it or even add a board to give you a bit more reach. With my little set up I push 13 watts. I added a $70 board and $50 for the labor and tuning. I run the same Mike and antenna as mentioned above by Cr.

Latest posts

Back