Coffee... best one

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
OK,
I been drinking coffee , for most of my life,
But, in the last few years ...I really have been trying to find one that is just exactly what I think of as being " COFFEE",

Aroma in the house and the taste that matches that aroma.

I've tried at least 50 different brands, blends , types... you name it.

Well I may have found that one...maybe..

I know you ain't gonna believe this but , I've bought fresh green beans, had them roasted and ground..bout ground , fresh ground, Dark, Light Medium roast...all of em.

Couple days ago I grabbed a can at WalMart , in my quest for that one that suits me, just as a trial.

Its WM brand of McDonalds Coffee.

Under$3 a can.

Well I gotta tell ya .., once I figured out the dosage....this just may be the one.
Fills the house with COFFEE aroma..taste like good coffee smells...not bitter..

Thought I'd pass this along to all the coffee addicts here.

coffee.jpg

Jim

You will never convince me that buying ground coffee is the way to go. I started getting beans over 30 years ago that I grind for every pot. I refuse to buy whole beans more than a week old because believe it or not you can taste the degradation as the coffee moves to be a month old.

Much has to do with the type of bean, the roaster and age. I'm a Colombian Supremo drinker. Full bodied without bitterness if the beans are fresh.

I'm drinking this brand right now...Owned by Vets...Made by Vets...Helps support Veteran's Causes !!

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

A Message from Founder and Owner: Evan Hafer

I started Black Rifle Coffee Company to provide a high-quality, roast-to-order coffee to the pro-2A and veteran communities. Between deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, I worked to refine both my coffee roasting skills and my firearms skills. I have spent over a decade researching coffee, refining my roast profiles and (of course) drinking what I roast. Black Rifle Coffee is quite literally the combination of my two favorite passions. I take pride in the coffee we roast, the veterans we employ and the causes we support.

Thank you,
Evan Hafer

I am going to check them out. Can't think of a more worthy company to deal with.

D121E6D1-B6D9-4760-BE60-9FE9A82EC384.jpeg
I like most coffee that is bold. Community is quite tasty, and inexpensive. My favorites are Gevalia French or a Kona & Arabaca blend.
I have heard that Black Rifle Coffee is awesome

I buy whole bean and I'm working through a White Mountain Coffee Roasters dark roast Mexican arabaca. I grind and do a pour over. My other option is Nespresso and I like the Bukeela Ka Ethiopia and the Envivo Lungo

I'll have to check out the Black Rifle Coffee Company

There is actually several coffee companies owned and operation by Vets. Black Rifle Coffee, Ranger Coffee, Veteran Coffee Co., Victory Coffee and more.

Coffee Vets is another one, but 100% of their proceeds goes to supporting vets with PTSD. I hate coffee (because it is gross), but I do buy it as gifts.

I drink only one cup a day, so I use coffee pods. I found McDonalds best for me. Going to check Black Rifle though.

I drink coffee everyone morning and I use the coffee pods with my Keurig when I am at home. I usually drink Dunken Donuts brand but when I am out and about, I always drink McDonald's coffee. It's my favorite away from home.

I LOVE a good cuppa. But unfortunately I have to do the decaf these days. Peets has a good dark roast Swiss water processed decaf.

D671BCC1-41C6-4AFF-B374-FEBB658DB70F.jpeg

Did you guys and gals know that the lighter the roast, the more caffeine? I’d always assumed the opposite.

I’ve been buying beans from my local coffee shop. The latest are from Guatemala. ☕

Unfortunately, I cannot tolerate much more than a single travel mug of coffee per day anymore without headaches, jitters, or trouble sleeping. So while I can no longer drink a pot or more of java daily, I truly enjoy a good cuppa steaming hot Joe, and have settled into a very nice routine where I get my fix every day I'm home:

My primary go-to coffee is a locally roasted whole bean sold at my local Costco called Aspen Select. At my local Costco, it's around $12 for 40 oz. IIRC.:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H40X6XC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I grind my coffee using my 900 watt NutriBullet. It is the BEST coffee grinder I've ever used. I set aside one of the smaller cups and blades that I ONLY USE for coffee:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0163K1Z3G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I grind the beans every Sunday for the week, and store the ground coffee in an airtight container in the fridge. I always add a teaspoon of raw cacao nibs to the beans when I grind, and they blend into the coffee for a slight hint of chocolate flavor and tons of antioxidants:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGW81YM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Finally, I have evolved into this machine, which truly makes excellent coffee:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2342796/ninja-coffee-bar.jsp?prdPV=3

I drink my coffee black...unless it's an evening cuppa, then perhaps a shot of Irish Cream will help counter the caffeine so I can sleep...

Last edited by a moderator:
My church has a non profit coffee shop. The have a few outstanding blends:

The Ethiopian is killer.
The Guatemalan and the Sumatran coffees are very good.
But, the Jamaican Island brew is the best I've ever had.

Their Mexican blend is way too bitter though. Its the only thing they have that I don't like. But for a buck per bottomless cup, I drink it anyway...;)

There is actually several coffee companies owned and operation by Vets. Black Rifle Coffee, Ranger Coffee, Veteran Coffee Co., Victory Coffee and more. Coffee Vets is another one, but 100% of their proceeds goes to supporting vets with PTSD. I hate coffee (because it is gross), but I do buy it as gifts.

Thanks for the leads Sentry...I'll check those sites out too !!

Not sure if this will show up. Seems like a great way to quit coffee. LOL

Just delivered. Anxious to try it. Thanks to those who recommended it. BTW, JB stands for Just Black, not the traitorous phase some of you may be familiar with.

E250BA08-9C7B-4CA3-BE65-D39A13B58D0B.jpeg

Let us know how it is. I' always looking for a good bean.
Donna - I’m using Keurig pods, so a different result than buying ground or getting beans and grinding myself. I use 10 oz of water per cup. Had my first cup of Just Black this morning. My review:
- My usual pod is the McDonald’s medium roast. That and this Just Black both use arabica beans.
- I can get my McDo pods for @75 cents each. The Just Black is @$1.09 each, so they’re quite a bit more expensive. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, but if I drank more I’d have to step away from pods.
- Taste: JB was OK. First taste seemed stronger and more bitter than the McDo (nothing wrong with that at all), but subsequent sips seemed unremarkable.

Conclusion: For me, JB is not worth the extra $$. I’ll likely go back to McDo.

Donna - I’m using Keurig pods, so a different result than buying ground or getting beans and grinding myself. I use 10 oz of water per cup. Had my first cup of Just Black this morning. My review:
- My usual pod is the McDonald’s medium roast. That and this Just Black both use arabica beans.
- I can get my McDo pods for @75 cents each. The Just Black is @$1.09 each, so they’re quite a bit more expensive. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, but if I drank more I’d have to step away from pods.
- Taste: JB was OK. First taste seemed stronger and more bitter than the McDo (nothing wrong with that at all), but subsequent sips seemed unremarkable.

Conclusion: For me, JB is not worth the extra $$. I’ll likely go back to McDo.

I drink a whole 12 cup pot by noon !....................:D

I use a Keurig with reusable k-cup. Grind my own with a burr grinder and use an African Blue Nile bean from my local donut shop. I will typically grind 2-3 days worth at a time. 1 scoop of ground per 16oz tumbler and use the strong setting.

I use a Keurig with reusable k-cup. Grind my own with a burr grinder and use an African Blue Nile bean from my local donut shop. I will typically grind 2-3 days worth at a time. 1 scoop of ground per 16oz tumbler and use the strong setting.

Tried some Jamaican Blue once, didn't like it NOT strong enough !...................

I’ve done the grind thing w/reusable cup and don’t care for the results.

I’ve done the grind thing w/reusable cup and don’t care for the results.
Before that, I had been doing via instant for a while. This is loads better. Our pump went out on our Keurig last week and till they could send us a new one, we went back to that. Man, I did hat one day and it tasted like it was burnt. From then till we got the new maker, I was doing French press before work. Just couldn’t hack the burnt Starbucks taste.

I'm with phideaux on this one...
IMG_5109.jpg

Latest posts

Back