Coffee

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMC

The Shaman of suburbia's son and apprentice.
Neighbor
What is your take on the "ultimate" coffee?

I go with grass fed milk, the best brand I ever had was Jack Daniels.

f7e6c9e69e82655a05d7e716c34ee669.png

I've never tried pourover, I'm going to eventually I heard it was great then I heard it was normalish and I don't know what to believe.

Cold brew is always good too, I just hate drinking the grounds.

Black and sugar is a brain boost better than any intelligence boosting pills, I use it on school days. On work days I add milk.

Hard to beat Grade 1 Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, washed. Roasted to 423 F
I get the raw beans from an Ethiopian shop in Arlington, VA when visiting my son. $7 a pound.
I first roasted them in a cast iron skillet on the stove. Graduated to a homemade drum roaster, then to an Allio Bullet roaster.
Yirgacheffe lends itself well to pan roasting, which is no surprise since most Ethiopians pan roast it at home 3 times a day. (why you can get it in an Ethiopian shop)
My daughter recorded one of my first successful pan roasts (it only took three tries to get it right)

Last edited:
I like cream and sugar in my coffee, so that wipes out most of the benefits of pursuing high end beans, roasting them yourself, etc. So I just use Costco Kirkland brand "Pacific Bold" K-cups in my Keurig coffee maker machine. And generic "French Vanilla creamer" from the grocery store Dairy section (that creamer already contains sugar, so I don't add any extra).

At one time I ground my own coffee (but didn't roast it myself), and used fancy French presses and pour-over containers. Had to get the water temperature just perfect, then pour over the ground coffee using just the right speed and technique. But not anymore. I just use the K-cups and I am perfectly happy with that these days.

I don't have sensitive enough taste buds I guess, to tell reasonably fresh dark roast from a can from 4X as expensive beans, all the hype only counts if you can tell the difference. The best way that I have found and it is only marginally is to boil water in a pot, add a bag of grinds made from a regular coffee filter, drop it in, time it, at this altitude, 4000f,t 4 minutes is about right no grounds in your cup, just slightly better coffee, IMO, the time would vary and at low altitude the water might be too hot, I don't know ,I never tried it. the internet says different, but really. ??

I don't have sensitive enough taste buds I guess, to tell reasonably fresh dark roast from a can from 4X as expensive beans, all the hype only counts if you can tell the difference.
If you can tell the difference between a microwaved frozen steak and a fresh steak hot off the grill, you can tell the difference between canned coffee and fresh roasted coffee (doesn't have to be expensive beans).

When I was in Jamaica, the tour bus stopped at a place in the Jungle where we could buy coffee. They were roasting in cast iron over wood fires.
Never found a commercial Blue Mountain Coffee that was as good.

If you can tell the difference between a microwaved frozen steak and a fresh steak hot off the grill, you can tell the difference between canned coffee and fresh roasted coffee (doesn't have to be expensive beans).
I don't doubt that, I would expect that being fresh roasted, then ground, and made would be a big difference. I can taste some difference in bagged beans freshly ground, and a freshly opened can, the aroma is a huge difference but again not enough to go to the expense and bother. I would never microwave a steak, so that comparison is lost on me. To even find a decent coffee grinder here is a challenge. I do however, put the coffee in the Can into pint jars as soon as I open the can, that seems to help. And finding raw beans here would be a challenge. I would also expect that you are probably getting far superior beans when you buy it raw from a specific importer.
I am impressed the effort you have gone to in finding the coffee that is right for you.

Last edited:
I tell you I can tell there's a huge difference between the Jack Daniels coffee and a can of great value.

I tell you I can tell there's a huge difference between the Jack Daniels coffee and a can of great value.
Yes I will agree that ground coffee definitely has a big difference to the flavor, maybe I just found a brand and price my frugal ness is somewhat happy with.

I don't doubt that, I would expect that being fresh roasted, then ground, and made would be a big difference. I can taste some difference in bagged beans freshly ground, and a freshly opened can, the aroma is a huge difference but again not enough to go to the expense and bother. I would never microwave a steak, so that comparison is lost on me. To even find a decent coffee grinder here is a challenge. I do however, put the coffee in the Can into pint jars as soon as I open the can, that seems to help. And finding raw beans here would be a challenge. I would also expect that you are probably getting far superior beans when you buy it raw from a specific importer.
I am impressed the effort you have gone to in finding the coffee that is right for you.
It was my daughter's idea because she saw the green coffee in the Ethiopian shop a block from where she was living at the time. She told me I should try roasting some coffee. So I did.

I've since bought good raw coffee from several other sources but good Yirgacheffe is elusive. I'm afraid the quality of coffee took a big hit during COVID because migrant workers that sorted the coffee could not get to work. It still hasn't completely recovered.

My family bought me a computer controlled roaster for my birthday a couple of years ago, which allowed me to better understand what went into getting a good roast, and when I got it right it allowed me to repeat what I had done more precisely. Which was crucial in getting a good roast with the finicky beans we've had since COVID.

I am not a coffee conosur by any means. I believe that any plain coffee (without "stuff" in it) is better than no coffee. I'll drink it straight if I have too, but I like it with a small amount of creamer (not cream, not milk). I will NOT drink flavored coffee of any kind.

A REAL exchange between the new military & old military (me). I went in to a doctors appointment one morning. The doctor commented that my blood pressure was a little high & asked if I had coffee before I came in. Yes it did, I replied. He was writing in his notes & asked my how much I had. My reply, 12 cups. He kind of freaked out & said that you need to cut down. I told him that I had cut down. HUH????? When I was active duty I used to drink 24 cups a day. Now days I'm down to 3 to 4 cups a day.

Just coffee - no flavored stuff - and black. I can enjoy it tarted up with cream and sugar, but that's not my thing normally.

I am not a coffee conosur by any means. I believe that any plain coffee (without "stuff" in it) is better than no coffee. I'll drink it straight if I have too, but I like it with a small amount of creamer (not cream, not milk). I will NOT drink flavored coffee of any kind.

Here is the plain unvarnished truth:
The flavored stuff is to compensate for the abysmal quality of commodity grade coffee. (which is most preroasted coffees) Dark roasts are for the purpose of hiding defects that would be evident in lighter roasts. No, seriously, that's why the Vienna and French roasts are so dark. It originated in a period when they could not get good coffee so they had to burn it to make it drinkable. They got used to the burned coffee taste and kept drinking it. (that's starting to change)

Hard to beat Grade 1 Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, washed. Roasted to 423 F
I get the raw beans from an Ethiopian shop in Arlington, VA when visiting my son. $7 a pound.
I first roasted them in a cast iron skillet on the stove. Graduated to a homemade drum roaster, then to an Allio Bullet roaster.
Yirgacheffe lends itself well to pan roasting, which is no surprise since most Ethiopians pan roast it at home 3 times a day. (why you can get it in an Ethiopian shop)
My daughter recorded one of my first successful pan roasts (it only took three tries to get it right)

I have a single drum coffee sample roaster that they sold off, it almost as old as I am.
I have never used it, I buy coffee already grinded, that is passable & I do not have the time to roast coffee.
The blending is the hard part, we blend hundred of pounds at a time for continues roaster.
Now the plant uses very large Batch roaster after the destoner have remove all the small stone.
I will use instant if that's all I have, but I like the grinds coffee best.
It is a shame that we can not grow our coffee cherries here.

Last time I had coffee was 1992. It was hard to quit. Are you prepared to detox from coffee? Or any caffeine? I don't drink regular tea either unless I've been intubated for a few days and recovering from that. :rolleyes:

A lot people have problem with caffeine without getting to the toxic level, had a teacher who hands would shake if she drank to much coffee.
I never had a reaction from12 cups of coffee, we had all the coffee we could drink at work, never had a problem.
I find out I have Afib in 2019 & Doctor said no more Caffeine, because caffeine affects heart beat.
So I am on Decaf, but I never could tell the difference, even after drink all the free coffee at work.
I also drink a lot of water & I drink my coffee half milk & half coffee since I was eight years old.
That was the only way My Father let me drink coffee, so it would not stunt my growth, at 5'11, 248 lbs., I think it worked.

My family bought me a computer controlled roaster for my birthday a couple of years ago, which allowed me to better understand what went into getting a good roast, and when I got it right it allowed me to repeat what I had done more precisely. Which was crucial in getting a good roast with the finicky beans we've had since COVID.
How about a link for your roaster and green beans?

The venerable old Jabez Burns sample roaster, a 4 barrel natural gas model at Royal Coffee just a few blocks from us here in Emeryville. This is the king of all sample roasters.
1718489975376.png

Only ours has eight sample barrels & it was very old, had oil ports, before grease fitting (1916) were in use.
It was gas fired & stove black paint with silver trim.
They still use it in the Lab to test individual coffees before they where blended.
The roast master would take samples after blending & roasting for the lab.
I have no ideal how old the roaster is, they only let a few people maintain & use it.
Kroger is over one hundred years old, so roast may be that old or older.

Back