Continuity

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
The Wife and I have had many discussions of a post-SHTF, she knows I am very much anti technology and she knows I have since changed my thinking to some of it and I have, she has encouraged me to seek out other alternatives other then my own (one of the reason I am here) she got me signed into twitter (don’t really use hardly anymore) and facebook (I since dropped FB) I finally changed out much of my equipment for smaller, more efficient and lighter equipment because of sites like this, I finally gave in and picked up some solar panels and I am looking to expand on it because of the things she had said and made perfectly good since and her being a mom has concerns for the kids and grand kids.

Lisa works in the scientific field (right now I’ll keep it off the public view) she has a lot of un-completed research not on the centralized backup but remains on her system, in the past I always said hell with it. Lisa explained things this way and I am shortening it, ‘…after society destroys itself or an unprecedented catastrophe we need to have in place some form of continuity, we cannot give up on society and lose what we have gained in terms of scientific findings, at some point we will rebuild’ (she never uses the word SHTF) she has said ‘we need to save what is good because, it will be needed again’ I have been very much in tunnel vision mode most of my life, I am slowly changing to some degree.

I do believe we should maintain some form of continuity unless one wants total isolation and/or absolute anarchy. The beginning of the year Lisa had me digitize all of our pictures and documents and put them on two portable backup drives and just recently started backing her work to a third drive and storing them along with my emergency communication devices in a faraday can. Prepping shouldn't be about just hitting the bush and saying bye bye world, we have disasters across this planet everyday that isn’t a worse case SHTF scenario and I believe Lisa is right, even in a worse case scenario society will try to rebuild it's human nature, we should try to maintain what we already learned not throw it away and like she told me, because you adopt some modernization doesn’t mean you give up on the past.

Lisa has proven maturity has nothing to do with age.

Good point. I'm embarrassed to say that I was strictly thinking about bugging out and surviving, not the future of us as people.

Much of what I think and feel hasn't changed that much though it has been suggested to entertain other options (and I have) and not be so damn closed minded, I am far more accommodating today then I have been in the past, I don't know if she is right and don't know if I am right, I guess that is why prepping is a ever evolving challenge given that post-SHTF scenarios is hypothetical's , yes we know some things but much more is unknown in a post-SHTF

I think Lisa is a very smart woman. I've often wondered what would happen to all of the knowledge and research if there were a big SHTF situation. Starting over from scratch would really stink. Hopefully our libraries won't be destroyed. Why is it that the majority of mankind wants to loot and destroy when things go wrong?

I pretty much see our place becoming a kind of trading post, once things settle down. Granted, there are risks to it, but I think the way to mitigate it is to also offer services, to avoid the "Kill em and take the stuff" mentality. If we're dead, one shot loot. If around, will always have a place to get medical, mechanical, etc. services.

Latest posts

Back