Craigslist good and bad

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
ive talked about Craigslist several times here. It’s a great resource to find things or sell, but the scams are really common now. I posted a carhauler trailer this morning and had two calls immediately on it. Both callers wanted it at full price, sight unseen. One wanted to send a cashiers check and the other wanted to use PayPal. Luckily most scams are fairly easy to spot, and a good rule of thumb is don’t buy or sell to anyone that can’t meet and use cash. Also a couple of the campers I’ve responded to were scams too. If they can’t meet to look at it then it is a scam. Always remember, buyer (or seller) beware.

I've used Craigslist many times over the years to both buy and sell. Last year I bought my jet boat through an ad on Craigslist. The scams are easy to spot and ignore, so I've never had a problem.
Yeah, luckily most crooks are pretty stupid and are transparent. Even with all the foreign crooks, it is still a great place to buy and sell for free.
Speaking of crooks, all those annoying robocalls lately got me laughing. I had the old ‘this is your last warning from the IRS’ last week. I got at least 6 of them. Don’t these people know what LAST warning means....

ive talked about Craigslist several times here. It’s a great resource to find things or sell, but the scams are really common now. I posted a carhauler trailer this morning and had two calls immediately on it. Both callers wanted it at full price, sight unseen. One wanted to send a cashiers check and the other wanted to use PayPal. Luckily most scams are fairly easy to spot, and a good rule of thumb is don’t buy or sell to anyone that can’t meet and use cash. Also a couple of the campers I’ve responded to were scams too. If they can’t meet to look at it then it is a scam. Always remember, buyer (or seller) beware.
Yes that is what is going on with me today, I responded with "cash only" that one disappeared quick. Then I was not too nice the next time. I said you must think I'm an idiot you thief! LOL, it was fun, I am waiting on my next one and thinking of something evil to say, like I have triangulated your phone and know where you are, watch your back! Oh yea, they will say anything to get your product without paying for it, all sorts of stupid stories, My Mom died, I am on a ship at sea, I am at work, I live out of state, idiots.

Well , I am CIA you Ahole.

Yeah, luckily most crooks are pretty stupid and are transparent. Even with all the foreign crooks, it is still a great place to buy and sell for free.
Speaking of crooks, all those annoying robocalls lately got me laughing. I had the old ‘this is your last warning from the IRS’ last week. I got at least 6 of them. Don’t these people know what LAST warning means....
Yes,, I get a lot of your Google advertising is expiring. Who cares? We have nothing to do with Google ads.

It's been some time since ive used craigslist. But i have had the same issues as well.
Yes, Craigslist is a land mine of scammers. You would think Craigslist would try to eliminate some of that crap.

Yes, Craigslist is a land mine of scammers. You would think Craigslist would try to eliminate some of that crap.
They do. But as quick as they delete fake ads more keep popping up. You can help some, by hitting the prohibited link on the ad. It kind of fastracks the ad to their moderators for removal. I do it every time I see something listed for a tenth of what it should be. That old saying of if it seems to be too good to be true then it probably is.

They do. But as quick as they delete fake ads more keep popping up. You can help some, by hitting the prohibited link on the ad. It kind of fastracks the ad to their moderators for removal. I do it every time I see something listed for a tenth of what it should be. That old saying of if it seems to be too good to be true then it probably is.
Items ending is a weird number, only one photo and text only are give a ways to scammers. I hit prohibit too. Just to be an aggravation, I know it won't stop em.

I do alot of My shopping online but have never checked Craigslist. I do remember the Craigslist Killer story though .
Honestly it’s a great resource to buy or sell as long as you’re aware of the scammers.

Be wise and beware. I responded yesterday to one that I was triangulating their 20 and that smokey was on the way, then asked them to disregard last, then told them I would have to charge them an extra 800.00 bucks since paypay took an extra 5%, blah, blah, blah.

I've actually had more luck with Facebook "Yard Sale" sites, by city. The cool thing is, if you are looking for something, it can send you alerts when someone posts it.
I’ve heard good things about their yard sale area but still haven’t tried Facebook yet.

Latest posts

Back