Describe your mobile station.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyOldEngineer

I can kill people with my personality.
Neighbor
Amateur Radio Call Sign
N9HTZ
In my truck, I'm running a Yaesu FT-857D into a Little Tarheel 2 Screwdriver antenna mounted on a trailer hitch mount. The radio is mounted under the back drivers side seat and the control head is mounted on driver seat visor. There is a rocker switch at the drivers seat that can raise the antenna up and down. There is a dual band 2M/440 MHz antenna. I can operate from 80M through 440 MHz.

I have worked the local area and many places across the globe. Being a mobile station, it's hard to get paste pile ups but when they are aware of my mobile station, they usually call directly for me.

MIne is a Kenwwod TMD 700, 2M/440 radio. Feeds a Comet Fold over antenna
Nice rig.

I may have had a similar Comet Antenna in the past. My only problem with them is that they lacked flexibility but that had the gain of a base antenna. Low tree limbs were a hazard. I lost 2 of them that way. Other than that, they had excellent performance. I thought about using one to make a low profile ground plane at home.

My 2M/440 only mobile station predates that radio. I still have it and it works. I plan to give it to my son. It;s Kenwood TM-732 that I bought in the early 90's.

Latest posts

Back