dont text n drive

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just started in Ga that you cannot have a cell phone in your pocket. You can’t hold it, It must be hands free/mounted, and Bluetooth. First ticket=50.00 and one point. 2nd ticket=100 and 2 points, third is 300 and 3 points. I’m not very fond of more rules but I am all for this. There are way too many idiots driving down the road reading Facebook and not paying attention to the road. Even if it only saves one life, it’s worth it.

Brent the part about supporting a phone with any part of your body is confusing. It does not mean you can't have a phone in your pocket, but you can't make a call with a phone in your pocket. It mainly means having a phone propped up in your arm or in your lap.

There are plenty of ambiguities in the law that will need to be ironed out.

when I was on the road all the time I had a blue tooth rig that mounted on the visor it was as close to completely hands free I ever saw,push one button to answer a call push it again to end the call,,,,,in my opinion talking on a phone hands free is no worse than talking to someone in the car with you,,,but texting or facebook is a completely different thing

Brent the part about supporting a phone with any part of your body is confusing. It does not mean you can't have a phone in your pocket, but you can't make a call with a phone in your pocket. It mainly means having a phone propped up in your arm or in your lap.

There are plenty of ambiguities in the law that will need to be ironed out.
I haven’t read the specific law as written, but was stating what the news report said was in it. They were clear about the no pocket thing, I guess because when it rings everyone scrambles to dig it out to see who it is. I heard Atlanta had a task force out and issued a load of tickets already. I really do think it’s a good idea for safety. I had Siri turned off on my phone before but enabled it now. One press of a button and ‘Siri, call home’ or ‘Siri, google map this business for me’. It’s more convenient and safer. Oh, amazon has the fully adjustable phone holders for 12.00 for a two pack. They clip on the air vent and are really sturdy.

I'm all for it when it comes to. No calls or texting.to no interneting when it comes to driving.bigger the fines.the better. I always pull over in a safe enough location, like the outer edge of the shoulder.then n only then.i'll read the text or answer the call.or call/text back.

No electronics can be used even if it was mounted that isn't hands free including navigation equipment other than turning off and on etc...

Cops use this line most often.
"(c) For the purposes of this section, "dangerously distracted" means a person who engages in any activity not related to the actual operation of a motor vehicle in a manner that interferes with the safe operation of such motor vehicle on any highway."

"(ii) Using your hand or finger to compose, send, read, view, access, browse, transmit, save, or retrieve email, text messages, instant messages, photographs, or other electronic data; however, this does not preclude the minimal use of a finger to activate, deactivate, or initiate a function of the device;"

I know cops that have pulled people over just for turning the device on, like a lot of LEO's have said, they can't determine what you are doing except be seen pressing a button.

Sorry, but when I'm driving, I don't call or answer any calls. Or messages. It can frickin' wait. If I'm expecting communication, I'll pull off somewhere to read, reply, etc.

If only a law could solve all of our problems..... Good intentions, as most laws are, but it won't be very effective. Most people won't change their behavior because of a silly new law. I almost never text while I drive but I do occasionally use the phone. Only one of our vehicles have "hands free". Most of the areas where I travel don't have cell coverage anyway.

Our new hands free law started July 1st and so far I have not seen any reduction in cell phone use by other drivers. It really is stupid to use it when driving though....

Our new hands free law started July 1st and so far I have not seen any reduction in cell phone use by other drivers. It really is stupid to use it when driving though....
Your not likely to either. Laws have never been very effective at controlling anything. Just look at the crime rate in any major city. I agree that it's not a good idea to text and drive, or to even talk on the cell phone. In my case I'm about 3 hours from the freeway. Once I'm on the freeway I never use the cell phone unless I'm in the wife's Grand Cherokee which has hands free. Around my home town cell coverage only extends out a few miles so cell phone use here isn't a problem.
Some people may respect the new law, but I have my doubts that many will. The rest of us just need to be more careful on the road.

If insurance companies get on board and law enforcement gives out tickets like they should it would decrease, behaviors won't change unless being held accountable.

If insurance companies get on board and law enforcement gives out tickets like they should it would decrease, behaviors won't change unless being held accountable.
Here in Ga they give points as well as a fine. The points cost way more when considering the higher insurance rates for a few years.

Latest posts

Back