Dozens of sturgeon found dead in Columbia River

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
His rough total came to 66 dead sturgeon in the Columbia River from McNary Dam to Boardman. More than 20 were reported upstream, from the Hanford Reach downstream to the McNary Dam.

The exact cause of the die-off of the largest freshwater fish in North America is a mystery.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2015/07/15/3653267_dozens-of-sturgeon-found-dead.html?rh=1

fish.jpg

Somebody spill something ?
Theres a restocking program for them here , if you catch one they would like you to take a pic and release it then send the pic and location to TWRA .

His rough total came to 66 dead sturgeon in the Columbia River from McNary Dam to Boardman. More than 20 were reported upstream, from the Hanford Reach downstream to the McNary Dam.

The exact cause of the die-off of the largest freshwater fish in North America is a mystery.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2015/07/15/3653267_dozens-of-sturgeon-found-dead.html?rh=1

View attachment 4440
Even things like record heat can affect wildlife. Have you ever caught one of those? That's an amazing looking fish.

Somebody spill something ?
Theres a restocking program for them here , if you catch one they would like you to take a pic and release it then send the pic and location to TWRA .
Do you have sturgeon as large as that pictured? I had no idea there were any that close to me. I grew up fishing in salt water, but got bored with fresh water fishing. That thing looks like a real challenge!

Even things like record heat can affect wildlife. Have you ever caught one of those? That's an amazing looking fish.

We fish for them every year, between me and my brother we at least get one every year though not as big as the one in the picture, they are some of the best smoked fish and they get bigger then the one in the picture over 12' weighing in over a thousand pounds.

Fish that are as big as people just weird me out for some reason. Damn, that's a big fish!

I think the reason they don't allow us to keep the big ones is that they are between 100-150yrs old
Older fish aren't usually as good to eat anyways, letting them breed is wise. Catching one of them looks awesome though!
On a different note, anyone catch the surfer getting bitch slapped by that sharks tail. Teach him to kick and punch at it :). I grew up surfing, and that video got my blood flowing. Not only did the guy survive, but has it all on film as no one would have believed him!

Latest posts

Back