Dried Molasses

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Molasses is closely linked with farming in the south. I ate it as a kid and can still buy it at the store (if you know which store). It was and still is a common additive in livestock feeds of all types.

It is an acquired taste these days. Most folks are so used to consuming corn syrup they would find molasses unpalatable. Heck, most would find cane sugar unpleasant.

Blackstrap molasses is a concentrated form of molasses. Definitely takes some getting used to. If you've never had blackstrap, proceed cautiously. Probably not what you are expecting...

Dried molasses is commonly the form in which it's added to livestock feed. When we bought feed as a kid we'd bring corn and hay to be ground and tell the mill how much (%) of molasses we wanted in our feed mix. It'd be added and the feed would be bagged while we waited.

Molasses  (2).jpg

Last edited:
I keep it around to make brown sugar instead of buying brown sugar. I know it stays shelf stable for a very long time because of it's sugar content. So buying it powdered and using it that way, would be fine.
I have a few Christmas time cookies that need it and one bread recipe that does. Other than that, I grew up thinking a spoonful of it was good for you.

Latest posts

Back