Earth's magnetic field could flip in our lifetime

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
There is evidence that it's flipped many times in the past, but it's interesting to consider how it could affect our modern world. Will gps still work? Also, when it flips, how long does it take? And one of the biggies, while it's flipping, will it loose it's effectiveness at protecting us from the solar radiation?

Will gps still work? Also, when it flips, how long does it take? And one of the biggies, while it's flipping, will it loose it's effectiveness at protecting us from the solar radiation?

They address those questions in the article in typical scientific fashion....i.e. we don't know. More study and research grants are needed. :D

For me, the only real concern here is what effect it could have on the grid.
Suffice to say, anything that knocks out the grid, would be a global SHTF deal.
Sure, we got along without it for thousands of years, and we'd survive, but that transition is going to be a nightmare.

They address those questions in the article in typical scientific fashion....i.e. we don't know. More study and research grants are needed. :D

For me, the only real concern here is what effect it could have on the grid.
Suffice to say, anything that knocks out the grid, would be a global SHTF deal.
Sure, we got along without it for thousands of years, and we'd survive, but that transition is going to be a nightmare.

I am curious about the windings in the hydro generators? will the magnetic field switch change the polarity in these generators or anything with electrical windings?

I imagine it is pretty much going to wreak havoc on the entire grid. Seems to be a gradual thing though, even a "sudden" change taking about 100 years....but typically taking thousands, so I think we're pretty in the clear for our lifetimes....

I am curious about the windings in the hydro generators? will the magnetic field switch change the polarity in these generators or anything with electrical windings?

right good point.so if it looks like something like that is gonna happen in our life time .. will a heavy duty emp cage/cabinet/box work? or something similar? or are we simply out of luck?

right good point.so if it looks like something like that is gonna happen in our life time .. will a heavy duty emp cage/cabinet/box work? or something similar? or are we simply out of luck?

I truly don't see a major issue with the switch, I don't see it hurting electronic devices though a switch can cause outages, brown outs etc.. that can be damaging but as long as it isn't plugged in at the time I don't see a issue but as Gazrok stated, it should be a slow process and adjustments will be made accordingly, worst case would be a dead spot (fields weaken area around the earth) when a solar storm hits in that case a faraday cage would be advised but then we are talking a perfect storm.

Latest posts

Back