Entertainment

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerberus

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So we all got things we enjoy doing like crafting and prepping.
But what if SHTF and you need to lay low for a while ? You're bugged in.
Did all the things you could do to increase your homes defense and your chances of survival.
And now. You're in for a waiting game.

What did/will you prepare for entertainment?

this i still need to work on..paper back books...2 or 3 decks of cards is what i know we have.if we have electric.then we can listen to music cd's and watch movies..but thats a big if..we need board games,and other forms of entertainment...

Personally, I got a fair bit of content that I've purchased over the years (movies, ebooks/audiobooks/manga/magazines/series & games) and a few old consoles with games for if there's electricity.
I also collect paperbacks but less so for entertainment purposes. I simply don't really like reading the same book twice :p

I got a few card games, uno, stratego and chess atm.
But I'm still looking to get The Walking Dead Monopoly, Colonists of Catan, Go & whatever else people recommend.

The rest on my list is a violin, though I don't think its a good idea to use it anywhere but a soundproof room.
I am also creative in the sense that I tend to write and draw things but paper is limited if no1 is left to make it ^^"

I do hope someone here comes up with something awesome that has not been thought of though :)

Outdoor;
croquet, horseshoes, horseback riding

Indoors;
lots of puzzles, chest, checkers, domino's, yahtzee, uno, darts, Wife has a very large library in her reading room, for me, I have enough to do to keep me busy. Boredom not going to be an issue!

Little over a couple of years ago the wife was tested for cabin fever when we was snowed in for 5 weeks in 10' of snow, we lost power thus we lost the well pump (no water) she stayed out of jail and I stayed a live ;)

I have a HUGE collection of boardgames. Ones that make Monopoly look easy to play.
In addition, lots of books.
I'm looking for one of the old school crank record players, and then some favorite LPs too.
Lots of DVDS, so if we do have power.... I also plan to get some small portable DVD players, as it will be easier to power them vs. a large TV.
Musical instruments, of course.

lots of books,stuff I can make lures from...some boardgames and playing cards of course ;)
still have my plastic toy soldiers to play with ;)
movies..sci-fi and action mostly..

I kinda got rid of almost all my books. We have board games, card games, outdoor games.
Theres always homesteading, Reloading, fixing stuff, building something. I cant remember the last time i was bored...

Right along with the rest of you here. After the children grew I eventually got rid of the board games and such. Now it is all being replaced slowly by doing the garage sale thing. I have managed to get several board games in different age ranges..(thinking of grandkids also), different kinds of card decks and of course books. Plus I do crafts and sew so I'm sure finding a project to keep me busy won't be a problem. lol

For the children I have been accumulating construction paper, school style workbooks and pleasure ones, different cutting pattern scissors, glues, markers, dry erase boards, all kinds of flash cards. Just anything that would keep them occupied and busy. We also have alot of outdoor games. So hopefully boredom will be kept at bay.

the imagination can be used for games as well..like word and number games..and using the mind and memory to remember things.like locations,distances,certain plants and trees..if a person/parent.can get a child to remember these different things,then their doing all the good.especially in later years when the child is grown up and all..

My board games aren't your typical kids games. But certainly nerdy. The kinds of games you'll see the guys of Big Bang Theory (usually, they are playing Talisman, but have played others and card games).

Plus, once I got thinking about it, if things are the way most of us think they will be there probably won't be much idle time on most peoples hands.

We'll probably stay busy doing the things being done by machine now days. Making candles, homemade foods, clothes and other needed fabric items. Working in our gardens and foraging natural grown foods. Now maybe most don't know how to do these things now but learning by necessity and means of survival will sure improve the know how.

Now that being said all work and no play makes Jack a ...well we all know what happens to Jack when he's bored and snow bound..LOL but keep the entertainment and stress relievers on hand because we all need to unwind at times.

I've added a few new things to my own list upon reading here and thinking some more about it.

Originally:
- Movies
- Series
- Games (pc+consoles)
- Books/Ebooks/Manga/Comics/Magazines
- Cards and UNO
- Stratego
- Chess
- The Walking Dead Monopoly
- Colonists of Catan
- Go
- Instruments
- Drawing Mats

Added:
- Whiteboard
- Darts
- Checkers
- Games magazines
- Puzzle magazines
- Trivia
- Talisman
- Jenga

- Language learning materials
- Manuals and Educational books on Unconventional things possibly useless things.
- Books/Magazines on: Woodworking/Carving/Sewing/Quilting/Embroidery/Cooking/Painting/Drawing/Photography/Gardening/Casting/Jewelry Making/Metal Working/Smiting/Engraving/Leatherworking/Sculpting (Specifically Creative ones that aren't focused on efficiency and functionality but rather the creative and decorative kind.) + any necessary tools

- AAA Battery Powered MP3 player (hooray for rechargeable batteries)
- Gameboy Color/Advance
- Instructional Videos on: Digital Arts, Crafting, Dancing, Martial Arts, Fitness, Anything you can come up with.

- Shinai + Kendo Equipment + Padded Practice swords
- Rubber knives
- Foam Mats
- Weights
- Airsoft/Nerf stuff

The thing that is different from just having listed crafty things as entertainment however, Is because I completely forgot to think about aesthetics.
Example. You learn to build things but not the techniques on how to decorate them. Building whilst often fun, is still something you stop doing when you made all there is to make. Aesthetics however can always be expanded upon. Which is something I completely forgot to apply to my preps.

We use a whiteboard (and different colored dry erase markers) for Pictionary. Fun party game.

We also have a LOT of different costumes/props, etc., just from being nerds and being involved in local theater stuff, so I can see us doing mini plays post SHTF.

I think people back in the day expended so much energy on daily survival that they were not in as much need of leisure activities. Even when I grew up (and am only 50), we occupied ourselves with playing with the dog, catching crawdads in the creek, roaming in the woods, etc. Kids have alot of imagination and can usually find things to entertain themselves. Adults, take a little more. I think reading would be one of the best pastimes, both for entertainment and for knowledge. I guess I'm kind of lucky, as I really enjoy learning new crafts. I have a feeling we would all have to learn a whole new set of skills to cope with life after electricity.

True, but have to have some fun too. I don't think we'd have a LOT of leisure time, but we'd definitely have some. Wouldn't be hard to take a day off...just has to be around certain daily chores (like feeding/water for any livestock).

True, but have to have some fun too. I don't think we'd have a LOT of leisure time, but we'd definitely have some. Wouldn't be hard to take a day off...just has to be around certain daily chores (like feeding/water for any livestock).
I hope your right about having some down time. I guess alot of that will depend on how well you prepared before, and some situational luck too. I just talked to a coworker who said they just put a 27k solar system on their house. That would make your life alot easier! Of course she may be FOS, as she has exagerrated some things before.

Exactly why going solar isn't one of my key options, at least not yet. Especially with our summer storms, I could foresee all kinds of damage to our panels, so at least some of it would need to be repaired/replaced each year. The cost though, is simply too high. If solar leasing every comes to FL, I'll be on board, but so far, the state is very anti-solar as the power companies have a chokehold on our politics here.

Latest posts

Back