everyone ready for winter yet?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
i've gotton the electric blankets n all,onto the beds.propane heater set up..still need propane thoe..stocked up on winter foods..got all the winter clothes out..i also have a blue plastic 55 gallon barrel for the bathroom,just in case the pipes freeze up.this way we can at least flush the toilet..i still need winter items for keeping in the van,just in case we get stranded on the road while going some where,or heading home..we had snow where i live once,since i moved here in august of 2007..but we've had pipes freeze up on us.i already have extra pvc pipe and parts.i still need the cement for it.this way i can make water line repairs when the temp warms up enough for the cement to set up right..

Yeah I have taken out all the afghans already for the kids rooms. Kero heater is in the house for now, We have gas furnace and kero backup but this time of the year we don't need the furnace as of yet. Kero does the job for now. Have been moving chickens around trying to get them all ready for the winter. Winter clothes come out Thursday because they said Friday it will be 48 degrees all day. I am still waiting on the leaves to drop all off the trees so I can rake them up and cover the coop floor with them that helps the chickens a lot.

i've gotton the electric blankets n all,onto the beds.propane heater set up..still need propane thoe..stocked up on winter foods..got all the winter clothes out..i also have a blue plastic 55 gallon barrel for the bathroom,just in case the pipes freeze up.this way we can at least flush the toilet..i still need winter items for keeping in the van,just in case we get stranded on the road while going some where,or heading home..we had snow where i live once,since i moved here in august of 2007..but we've had pipes freeze up on us.i already have extra pvc pipe and parts.i still need the cement for it.this way i can make water line repairs when the temp warms up enough for the cement to set up right..
Having some pipe and fittings, along with a fresh can of glue is a smart idea to start the winter with.

yeah..the reason i do that..is i had to go into town and buy everything that was needed one winter.on account i wasn't prepared for it..in which i don't like getting out into the cold to fix a water line as it is..

Yeah I have taken out all the afghans already for the kids rooms. Kero heater is in the house for now, We have gas furnace and kero backup but this time of the year we don't need the furnace as of yet. Kero does the job for now. Have been moving chickens around trying to get them all ready for the winter. Winter clothes come out Thursday because they said Friday it will be 48 degrees all day. I am still waiting on the leaves to drop all off the trees so I can rake them up and cover the coop floor with them that helps the chickens a lot.
I'm not sharing the leaves with the chickens, they all go into the outside garden! Every year the soil gets a little better. The main thing I plan to do to protect the birds is get he hot wire up around them this week. I have a wind proof coop in their pen, so I'm not too worried about the cold.

yeah..the reason i do that..is i had to go into town and buy everything that was needed one winter.on account i wasn't prepared for it..in which i don't like getting out into the cold to fix a water line as it is..
I'm not sure there's much I like to do in below freezing temps outside! My idea of a winter sport is surfing somewhere warm!

I do have enough firewood to last all winter and most of next. Not all of it's split, but I work a little at a time on it. I have a really good fire going right now, a glass of wine, some cheese it's and a pepperoni pizza. After the news I have the walking dead recorded. I'd say this is a good Start for winter.:)

I really have to buckle down and ready some firewood. I have plenty, just need to chop it.
That, and we haven't really tested out our fireplace and chimney yet this season.

Still though, doesn't really get too cold here. We still have central heat though, for those really cold days.
Mostly, we just need to make sure the outside animals are OK. Horses get blanketed, and we'll typically leave on some lights to help. The chicken coop gets a wrap around tarp to keep the wind off, and we make sure they have lots of hay. Same with the bunnies, lots of hay to keep warm and munch on. We'll typically throw in some alfalfa for the horses and bunnies too, as that helps them stay warmer.

In the future, when the garden is all going, we'll have to adopt measures to keep that in good condition too...as well as fruit trees.

I really have to buckle down and ready some firewood. I have plenty, just need to chop it.
That, and we haven't really tested out our fireplace and chimney yet this season.

Still though, doesn't really get too cold here. We still have central heat though, for those really cold days.
Mostly, we just need to make sure the outside animals are OK. Horses get blanketed, and we'll typically leave on some lights to help. The chicken coop gets a wrap around tarp to keep the wind off, and we make sure they have lots of hay. Same with the bunnies, lots of hay to keep warm and munch on. We'll typically throw in some alfalfa for the horses and bunnies too, as that helps them stay warmer.

In the future, when the garden is all going, we'll have to adopt measures to keep that in good condition too...as well as fruit trees.
One thing I miss about fla., even when it gets cold, you know it will be in the 70's again in a day or two. I use the fireplace a lot, as I love the atmosphere it gives, but having it as a backup if you loose electricity just makes sense. I had put in a nice upright wood burning stove in my last house in fla. but couldn't use it as it never got cold enough.
I'm not too worried about the chickens and rabbits, as they seem to do well in the cold. The dogs have taken over the laundry room for the winter nights allready though. Their doghouse is good for most nights, but anywhere below freezing they go inside.
I have a good fire going this morning, and probably won't get started outside till at least the frost melts.

I'm not too worried about the chickens and rabbits, as they seem to do well in the cold. The dogs have taken over the laundry room for the winter nights allready though.

Never had an issue with the chickens and the rabbits yet, but I do try and keep them warm on cold nights.
The dogs are always inside at night (something that would change post SHTF), so they stay warm cuddling with all of the humans in the house. My wife and I typically have a large dog, and 2 chihuahuas, along with a couple of cats, sharing our king-sized bed. The other big dog sleeps with our ranchhand gal, along with a couple of cats, and the other small dogs sleep with the "kids" (in quotes because they are technically adults, but still our kids) in their rooms.

Oddly enough, my bird (cockatoo) is actually one of our best alarms, as if anyone is moving about at night, she imitates an alarm clock sound. (sucks when you want to get a late night snack).

as ready as one can be,warm clothes,warm boots....and winter camo fixed ;)

Anyway to get chickens to lay in winter
Mine still lay some but it's not near the amount as in the summer months. I don't know if lights and heat would make a difference or not, but the cost would probably outweigh the benefit.

Latest posts

Back