Fido and Parvo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6493

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know this has nothing to do with prepping,but most of us have dogs and Parvo is a killer,,,,I have had to deal with it 2 times, a few years ago I had an out break that killed 7 of my dogs all beagle puppies, and here and now I have had a second out break, this time around I beat PARVO,,,,two 6+ month old mutts that had been vaccinated they both recovered quickly in less than a week,and the 3rd is a 3 month old Beagle pup,he was decimated by it ,a trip to the vet $250.00 and 48 hours later I picked him up,he was on the road to recovery ,I gave him a IV every morning for a week and antibiotics also daily and he is now starting to act like his old self,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Parvo is a killer of young dogs once Fido reaches 2 years old his chances of getting it go way down,I can attest to the fact that it goes down due to I have a 13 year old Jack Russell in poor shape that has been in constant contact with the ones that were sick and he is fine,,,,

Parvo will live in the ground indefinitely and is almost impossible to get rid of,common bleach will kill it,
house hold bleach is a weak solution for best results buy liquid chlorine from your pool supply store it is about 11 times stronger than household bleach,I will be getting a spray rig and doing the whole dog yard several times a year

Attachments

• IMG_20171125_093704.jpg
    IMG_20171125_093704.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 8
When we found Buddy abandoned back in 2012, he was just a couple weeks old. He had come down with parvo before we had a chance to get him into the vet. He went to a vet, who wasn't our normal cause no opening. Vet didn't think he would make it. I was talking with a neighbor who suggested adding a little bleach to the water. We visited daily and I would sneak in a pint size jar and syring it down him. Vet couldn't believe he survived. Don't know if it was the vets iv fluids, the bleach water or maybe a combination, but I still have my Buddy boy and that's all that matters.

We have the same battle with cocci with goats. I spray down their barn and places they like to hang out often with the bleach water. Even add a little to their drinking water.

I hadn't thought of the liquid chlorine but may look very into it. I've read that with a ratio of 10:1 will kill the cocci.

Believe it or not 3 drops of household bleach in a 16 ounce water bottle fed to the puppy directly will kill parvo where it lives.. This has saved many of my litters. i have yet to loose a puppy to parvo. Distemper is another matter though...

I'm sorry you've had to deal with this. You made a very important point: parvo like a few other diseases gets into the ground, and once it's been on your property it's nearly impossible to get rid of it.

I'm assuming it's a standard 'yard' with grass. Look into what bleach solution will do to your grass. Maybe you can nuke it hard, reseed, and start over that way? One problem with bleach is that in open air it breaks down fairly quickly. I'm not sure if something else would be longer lasting or more effective without killing the grass?

Another option it to keep young dogs off your property until they can be vaccinated & let those vaccinations kick in.

I know what you mean about high vet bills. It seems we have a $2,500 vet bill every couple of years. Sometimes cancer, sometimes other surgeries. One note for everyone: avoid these 'emergency' all-night vet clinics. You are all preppers, you have supplies to help an animal get through the night. These clinics typically are 5-10 times the price at your normal clinic. What I know costs $100 at my vet was quoted at $1200 at one of these places. And they never do as good of a job as my vet. For example I remember one time the stitches were so bad they fell apart before we got home. You can google the problem & find treatment (at least short term) faster than you can get to a clinic. An example: copperhead bites, easily treated with benedril & monitor the dog, we've had a few & now don't even take the dog into the clinic (although chickens have nearly eliminated that issue). Note it would be worse on small dogs (mine are 50-90 lbs). Now if you have to go, then just do it. But know that you can't walk out the door for any less than $1000.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with this. You made a very important point: parvo like a few other diseases gets into the ground, and once it's been on your property it's nearly impossible to get rid of it.

I'm assuming it's a standard 'yard' with grass. Look into what bleach solution will do to your grass. Maybe you can nuke it hard, reseed, and start over that way? One problem with bleach is that in open air it breaks down fairly quickly. I'm not sure if something else would be longer lasting or more effective without killing the grass?

Another option it to keep young dogs off your property until they can be vaccinated & let those vaccinations kick in.

I know what you mean about high vet bills. It seems we have a $2,500 vet bill every couple of years. Sometimes cancer, sometimes other surgeries. One note for everyone: avoid these 'emergency' all-night vet clinics. You are all preppers, you have supplies to help an animal get through the night. These clinics typically are 5-10 times the price at your normal clinic. What I know costs $100 at my vet was quoted at $1200 at one of these places. And they never do as good of a job as my vet. For example I remember one time the stitches were so bad they fell apart before we got home. You can google the problem & find treatment (at least short term) faster than you can get to a clinic. An example: copperhead bites, easily treated with benedril & monitor the dog, we've had a few & now don't even take the dog into the clinic (although chickens have nearly eliminated that issue). Note it would be worse on small dogs (mine are 50-90 lbs). Now if you have to go, then just do it. But know that you can't walk out the door for any less than $1000.

it has been a bad deal,but the pup made it,as for damage to the grass I did not think about that , on that point 30 years ago I had a above ground pool and used the chlorine in it and to clean the filter you had to back flush it,and I don't remember the grass dying when we did it and that pool was in the yard for about 5 years,so I think it will be ok and if the grass dies hopefully the PARVO will go with it

Two outbreaks really sucks. I had heard that it can live in the ground for a long time, I guess you’re proof of that. I’m pretty sure that regular bleach will work fine on it, the problem is you’re only able to spray on the surface of everything. It isn’t reaching under things or into the soil much. I’d guess a maintenance spraying periodically since you know there is a high risk there. Anyways, I’m glad your dogs are doing good now.

My three dogs treat me better than my wife! They never yell at me, are always happy to see me and always show affection. Why in the hell did I get married? :)

Chlorine concentration in pool water is really low and not near enough to remove the parvo. With the higher concentration, you might try a 5x5 patch just to see if it'll kill the grass (it will). And there's another chemical to look into: Virkon S. I stocked it when the ebola was across Dallas. It may be kinder to the grass AND have a much better chance of killing the parvo. Keep in mind that parvo is a virus so it can sit dormant for months and months. Oh, definitely pick up any feces and clean any dog toys, toss things that can't be cleaned.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/How-to-Kill-the-Parvo-Virus-from-your-Dogs-Environment
According to here, 1:30 bleach:water will (mostly!) kill the parvo but it will kill your grass.

http://www.maddiesfund.org/Documents/Institute/Evolving Parvo Strategies Presentation Handout.pdf
This site confirms that VirkonS will work against Parvo, and they recommend it for outdoors. I suspect that means it won't kill the grass like bleach, but I can't verify.

https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Virkon_Disinfectant.html
This site says to not use VirkonS on grass.

I don't know, I'd try it. I think VirkonS is far more powerful than plain old bleach. I hope this helps.

Back