Fish Trap Ideas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Most here are familiar with basic fish trap designs. Many have used them, if others have designs to share please do.

As a kid we caught our bait before going fishing. I made a lot of minnow and crawfish baskets as a kid. Basic tube design with an inner cone at one end to allow bait fish to enter the trap. We made them from window screen wire. I remember using a slice of white bread as bait for my minnow traps.

I sometimes made larger fish traps. I used 1 inch chicken wire to make the tube and cone, simple design. I bought a couple fish traps at a farmers supply store a few years ago. They were made by hand locally, well worth $20ea.

The problem with tube traps is making a frame strong enough to hold the shape but light enough to carry. The last thing I want to carry into the swamp is heavy fish traps. I don’t want to put a lot of cash into a trap either. There is always someone who’ll steal traps they find. Then there are critters, a lady killed a 10ft gator couple years ago near here. A gator or big snapping turtle will make a mess out of a fish trap.

Where I sometimes fish, in a swamp, it’s a numbers game. More traps in the water, the better chance at a fine haul of catfish. Because they might get destroyed or stolen I don’t want to spend a lot of $$ per trap.

First 2 pics – traps I purchased. Made from one inch chicken wire, a metal ring welded to a long “T” shaped rod. An excellent design, light, holds it’s shape even with fish in the trap.

Last pic – Today I was in a garden center, needed some tomato cages. Funny, when I saw them I thought “fish traps”. They are perfect for fish trap frames. They came in 3 sizes, these are mediums. The large ones are about 55” long. Just wrap it in chicken wire and make a cone. They are a bit heavy, just cut out some of the excess frame to lighten it. These would make excellent fish traps.

Fish traps a 5a .JPG
Fish traps a 7a .JPG

I'm about to replace my chicken pen perimeter fence. 150ft of 1 inch chicken wire. The bottom portion is rusted and past repairing. The upper 4ft is fine. I was thinking of making a few fish traps and selling them. Again... how to make a frame... don't have to now. I'll just use tomato cages.

Fish traps a 1a .JPG

Last edited:
Don't know why I didn't think of it before! Maybe because fish traps have been on my mind? :dunno:

The small size tomato cages were $3ea, $4 for medium and $5ea for the large ones. They are cheap and already shaped. I have the chicken wire.

We used old milk cans as catfish traps, the catfish thinks its a log and moves in, you tip up the can and grab him by the gills.
I've heard of people using large PVC pipe with the end screened off as well.

You could but I don't see an advantage in doing so, at least for me. It doubles the weight of the trap.

Where I fish in the swamp a heavy trap is a bad thing. Some places are small sloughs or backwaters and only need a small single trap.

I've seen double ended traps. They work fine, just not for my situation.

Last edited:
I am wondering, can you place 2 tomato cages back to back inline with the small end on each in the middle
Cover with chicken wire and have a trap that can be accessed by the fish from both ends?
Sounds like dad's minnow traps, but bigger.

I'm not sure what your goal is but make sure the openings are offset, you don't want the fish swimming in one opening and straight out the other.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/promar-two-way-wire-minnow-trap-0784214p.html---
You can make a homemade version similar in function to the minnow trap linked... There are many designs available on Google ...homemade fish trap...

If I had easy, secure access to any one of the 3 rivers near us, I would use a homemade trap about 2x2x4' with ends similar to the minnow trap and oval openings.. Wire mesh size to allow fingerling and bait fish to escape..

Highly illegal here, but in a feed my family situation I would tend and use it as efficiently as possible...

Back