Garden

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
image.jpg
This is one of the reasons I prep. It's not just for disasters, but not only is this delicious, but is much healthier than a cheeseburger. I just picked the lettuce, onion, radish, snow peas,broccoli, carrots, and my first fresh beets ever. I bought the tomato, cheese and mushrooms, but I do have some tom. Plants started. The beets are a new thing for me. I've only had canned pickeled ones before, but fresh is a really great addition to a salad. I read about dehydrating beet chips, anyone else tried that? I also used some of the beet leaves with the lettuce. I put the greenhouse up this winter, and so far it's been great. I've been eating fresh salads for a couple months now. My outside garden is just sprouting with most things about 2 in. Tall right now. The greenhouse really extends the growing season. Well worth the effort!

EWWWW!! I'm a very strict Carnitarian, I don't believe in the unnecessary torture of vegetation. Plus that's what food eats!!! The cows and rabbits and goats eat that so I don't have too. I call it the T-rex diet.

EWWWW!! I'm a very strict Carnitarian, I don't believe in the unnecessary torture of vegetation. Plus that's what food eats!!! The cows and rabbits and goats eat that so I don't have too. I call it the T-rex diet.
I didn't show the chunk of pork and rice right next to it! No doubt, a meal ain't a meal without a dead animal!

View attachment 2387 This is one of the reasons I prep. It's not just for disasters, but not only is this delicious, but is much healthier than a cheeseburger. I just picked the lettuce, onion, radish, snow peas,broccoli, carrots, and my first fresh beets ever. I bought the tomato, cheese and mushrooms, but I do have some tom. Plants started. The beets are a new thing for me. I've only had canned pickeled ones before, but fresh is a really great addition to a salad. I read about dehydrating beet chips, anyone else tried that? I also used some of the beet leaves with the lettuce. I put the greenhouse up this winter, and so far it's been great. I've been eating fresh salads for a couple months now. My outside garden is just sprouting with most things about 2 in. Tall right now. The greenhouse really extends the growing season. Well worth the ef

Very envious, nice job! With the drought here in North Texas, all I can do is smile at others who have rain. Agree with Roninsensei though, got to have meat. Ronin really , thinking Godzilla here. Had BBQ at Rib Crib last night, just so we wouldn't have to cook. Pulled pork, chicken and a few slices of brisket. Not bad, but my smoker does better. I saw that you had pork, so you've restored my belief that your not turning into one of those Vegan fellas lol..

I've heard lettuce is hard to grow here (though is zoned for here), but going to try anyhow. Salad wise, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions are all in the plan. Other crops too, mostly just to see what grows well, what doesn't, etc. and then modify future plantings. We're in an area known for it's agriculture (heck, there are produce stands all over here), so I'm pretty hopeful.

One problem with lettuce is everything in the wild wants to eat it before it grows .

You could try lettuce in 2ltr soda bottles . Put them in a box or something & move them to your back porch @ night ? Just an idea tho

I've heard lettuce is hard to grow here (though is zoned for here), but going to try anyhow. Salad wise, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions are all in the plan. Other crops too, mostly just to see what grows well, what doesn't, etc. and then modify future plantings. We're in an area known for it's agriculture (heck, there are produce stands all over here), so I'm pretty hopeful.
I remember seeing cabbage farms in palatka, but not sure about lettuce. I do know it's a spring fall crop as it's not heat tolerant. My lettuce and spinach are just about played out in the greenhouse right now as the heat is getting higher each day. The tomatoes I put in are loving it though. I'm enjoying eating everything right now, but like you I'm experimenting with what grows well, and am keeping notes for future plantings. Not only for what grows, but what I like, and space requirements and what fertilizer worked on what plant. I planted four types of tomatoes, and only the homestead variety did really well, so when I thinned them out I carefully replanted them all and have about twenty five tomato plants now that are well adapted to my greenhouse. I also learned that I really like the snow peas. I only planted a handful of them in the greenhouse, but this fall I'll dedicate a couple long rows of them in the garden. And by the way, cabbage is friggin huge! I need triple the space I planted it in. I'm taking pretty good notes and will hopefully get better each year.

I always grow alot of yellow squash and fry it boil it make casaroles . But the brown winter squash is supposed store well but I'm not a fan of it . Anyone grow it and how do you cook it ?

You could try lettuce in 2ltr soda bottles . Put them in a box or something & move them to your back porch @ night ? Just an idea tho
I always grow alot of yellow squash and fry it boil it make casaroles . But the brown winter squash is supposed store well but I'm not a fan of it . Anyone grow it and how do you cook it ?
I don't even know what brown squash is? I thought all squash were summer plants, guess I'll have to try some this fall. I'm always on the lookout for new veggies.

Winter squash grows in the summer but I'v read where it stores for months . Some use it in soups . I raised it couple of years ago its harty and prolific but not one I care for but if it stores well it could be a good prepper veggi . I think one of the more passifist preppers from the tv show was growing it his looked like huge goards . I think thepropper name is butternut squash .

Lettuce grows well in Texas all year long really and since your climate is not too much different, I would think you could do it in Florida too. The only thing you really need to watch for in the hotter summer is that they will bolt and become bitter. . . just pick them while they are still young, you should be just fine. I just wouldn't try iceberg unless it is the cool months. I normally stay with the leaf types since they do good here.

Lettuce grows well in Texas all year long really and since your climate is not too much different, I would think you could do it in Florida too. The only thing you really need to watch for in the hotter summer is that they will bolt and become bitter. . . just pick them while they are still young, you should be just fine. I just wouldn't try iceberg unless it is the cool months. I normally stay with the leaf types since they do good here.

Always learn something new from you. Thanks, well I won't ever plant iceberg lettuce until October then.

Honestly, I have had a late start this year and all the cool crops that I normally start in Jan and Feb are just going to have to wait till the fall months. Life was crazy and then we had a colder winter and then a rainy season. I started last month with the potatoes, onions, lettuce, yellow squash,zucchini, tomatoes, and eggplant. Today I spent with weeding, mulchin and more plantin. Had to finally stop when I tried to plant my green beans. . . .we have been having a bad dry spell lately and when I tried to plant, the ground was just to hard (new part of the garden that we added last year), so ended up watering it this evening and I will pick back up in the morning after chores. I still need a variety of beans, melons and corn. Actually I am kind of glad that it was put off because a neighbor had a real tough time planting early and had to replant quite a bit of his.

Put my seeds in today . Here in Kentucky it's advised not to plant till the week after Derby . Ohio Valley weather is screwy sometimes .

Winter squash grows in the summer but I'v read where it stores for months . Some use it in soups . I raised it couple of years ago its harty and prolific but not one I care for but if it stores well it could be a good prepper veggi . I think one of the more passifist preppers from the tv show was growing it his looked like huge goards . I think thepropper name is butternut squash .
Now that I've heard of and had. Brown squash was a new one. I haven't cooked it though.

Put my seeds in today . Here in Kentucky it's advised not to plant till the week after Derby . Ohio Valley weather is screwy sometimes .
Seems like the weather is getting screwy all over. I planted early, and just plain old got lucky this year with no late frosts. We are in a drought allready, and I'm watering something every day.

image.jpg
My main goal this year is to try and get rid of most of the canned goods and fill this pantry up with my own canned goods!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 2
thats one reason im loading up on grass clipping for my garden.so i dont have to worry about the weeds n all..and yes,they've come back where there's not any clippings.so i'll be mowing the part of the garden where i have nothing yet.then load up on cl;ippings when i have the chance to do so..

still some weeds to get rid in my garden,now just waiting and watering it,they promised 77 tomorrow so after work I know what to do,sounds like watering to me ;)

just dont use any weed killer..LOL
I have a huge fruit and plant collection. You have no idea how badly I want to use roundup! So far I've done all the weeding by hand, and hope to continue doing so. I just think it's kind of stupid to use any kind of poison around what you eat. I know all the commercial farms do, gee could that be part of the reason we have such a high cancer rate?

so pile up grass clipping around your fruit and plant collection to a thickness that'll kill off the grass and weeds around them

Latest posts

Back