Get home bag

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LimaGolf

Friend
Neighbor
I'm putting together a get home bag to go with me when I'm out of town for work. Here's what I have so far,

Long underwear
Thermal top
3 pairs socks
Beanie
Balaclava
500' paracord
Gps
2 survival blankets
Wire saw
Knife
3 36" cam lock snares
Tinder box
3 fire steels
Waterproof matches
Several fire starters
Life straw
Water purification tablets
Headlamp
Flashlight
Batteries
10 energy bars
2 lb beans
2 lb rice
5 freeze dried meals
Pot
Disposable toothbrushes
Survey ribbon
Garbage bags
Ziploc bags

I still need to add salt pepper and coffee. Anything else I'm missing?
uploadfromtaptalk1433022579595.jpg

I'd dump the 4 pounds of beans and rice for some top ramon. Save the weight and add salt to your food for water retention.

I'm putting together a get home bag to go with me when I'm out of town for work. Here's what I have so far,

Long underwear
Thermal top
3 pairs socks
Beanie
Balaclava
500' paracord
Gps
2 survival blankets
Wire saw
Knife
3 36" cam lock snares
Tinder box
3 fire steels
Waterproof matches
Several fire starters
Life straw
Headlamp
Flashlight
Batteries
10 energy bars
2 lb beans
2 lb rice
5 freeze dried meals
Pot
Disposable toothbrushes
Survey ribbon
Garbage bags
Ziploc bags

I still need to add salt pepper and coffee. Anything else I'm missing? View attachment 4310
I've seen bob's that were less prepared then that! I didn't see anything for security? Also, isn't baclaclava a Greek desert :).

Long underwear
Thermal top
3 pairs socks
Beanie
Balaclava
500' paracord
Gps
2 survival blankets
Wire saw
Knife
3 36" cam lock snares
Tinder box
3 fire steels
Waterproof matches
Several fire starters
Life straw
Headlamp
Flashlight
Batteries
10 energy bars
2 lb beans
2 lb rice
5 freeze dried meals
Pot
Disposable toothbrushes
Survey ribbon
Garbage bags
Ziploc bags

I still need to add salt pepper and coffee. Anything else I'm missing? View attachment 4310
How about ammo? Carry baby wipes instead of toilet paper. Keep some hiking shoes or find some military issue combat boots which will last for years.

Long underwear
Thermal top
3 pairs socks
Beanie
Balaclava
500' paracord
Gps
2 survival blankets
Wire saw
Knife
3 36" cam lock snares
Tinder box
3 fire steels
Waterproof matches
Several fire starters
Life straw
Headlamp
Flashlight
Batteries
10 energy bars
2 lb beans
2 lb rice
5 freeze dried meals
Pot
Disposable toothbrushes
Survey ribbon
Garbage bags
Ziploc bags

Also, consider a good survival knife, like a Gerber prodigy or LMF

Just because you got lucky with one gerber knife does not change the company's failure rate. They are famous for making cheap and poor knives and just replacing them when they break. I've been to the sandbox three tours and wouldn't risk my life on gerber. I'm glad that yours held up but, one success doesn't make a reputation. Please buy better. From one warrior to another. Your life is worth more.

Check this out http://www.gerbergear.com/Military/Knives/LMF-II-Knife_22-41400

I gave mine a beating in Afghanistan and I can say it's very durable. Any thoughts on other knives?
Take a look at the cold steel SRK. Or the new cold steel AK47 Field knife. Or the cold steel recon scout. Or the cold steel anything for that matter. I've owned a few KABAR BECKER BK series knives that have held up well too but by far cold steel is the best.

Take a look at the cold steel SRK. Or the new cold steel AK47 Field knife. Or the cold steel recon scout. Or the cold steel anything for that matter. I've owned a few KABAR BECKER BK series knives that have held up well too but by far cold steel is the best.
Definitely going to check those out.

only 2 gerbers i go with..first is the multi tool plier.in which i've had good luck with.and the machetie.in which i havent used that much.and both are for everyday use around here..but yet i do have my more seriuse knifes..

Depends on when you got it. The first generation of Gerber's Grylls Machete and Knife had issues with the plastic handle breaking easily. They fixed this in later manufacturing though.

I'd dump the 4 pounds of beans and rice for some top ramon. Save the weight and add salt to your food for water retention.

As I'm in Canada, I'm not discussing security precautions on a public forum.
How about ammo? Carry baby wipes instead of toilet paper. Keep some hiking shoes or find some military issue combat boots which will last for years.
Canadians can only have a fire arm out when permited for hunting or law enforcement ! public cannot carry a side arm.

Also, consider a good survival knife, like a Gerber prodigy or LMF
I would recommend something in a high carbon steel ! even if its just an old hickory butcher knife ! it will last for you! ive been batoning wood with mine a couple years and it spent its first 20 years in a kitchen butchering meat so its held up well over the years. My main knife i actually had made by a buddy in Idaho its in an O1 tool steel / 10.5 inch overall length / 3/16 blade thickness / walnut scales / full flat grind with a clip point / 5.25 inch blade length. Custom leather sheath with a ferro rod loop.

I would recommend something in a high carbon steel ! even if its just an old hickory butcher knife ! it will last for you! ive been batoning wood with mine a couple years and it spent its first 20 years in a kitchen butchering meat so its held up well over the years. My main knife i actually had made by a buddy in Idaho its in an O1 tool steel / 10.5 inch overall length / 3/16 blade thickness / walnut scales / full flat grind with a clip point / 5.25 inch blade length. Custom leather sheath with a ferro rod loop.
I also like the USMC K-bar with the black/synthetic sheath. K-bars are also priced very reasonable and they are a great all around knife in my opinion.

I also like the USMC K-bar with the black/synthetic sheath. K-bars are also priced very reasonable and they are a great all around knife in my opinion.
The only problem I have with the usmc KABAR is the rat tail tang. I've found it to be sub par. Make sure you get a full tang that is sturdy in a high carbon steel. Just make sure you keep it well oiled and maintenanced.

The only problem I have with the usmc KABAR is the rat tail tang. I've found it to be sub par. Make sure you get a full tang that is sturdy in a high carbon steel. Just make sure you keep it well oiled and maintenanced.
Yeap. Just like in the Marines. Always carry CLP. And I agree with your comments

Cold Steel OSS or GI Tanto or the KA BAR .
But as to the original post , in my opinion you are leaving the get home bag boundries and getting close to a bug out bag .
Get home bag stay simple . Mid to small back pack or shoulder bag with matches and lighter take a fire starter if you want but it will be something to keep up with or lose , 32 oz bottle water with canteen and stainless canteen cup for boiling water . 1 MRE or similar with a few nonperishable snacks at the most ration and make it last for predicted travel time . Bievy tent or tarp with sleeping bag or blaket . A good field knife like mentioned above . A change of out door clothing that depends on the time of year that you will change into and not carry . A good and broke in pare of boots that you will change into and not carry for protection from trail hazards . A small basic first aid kit think it out and add a few exra items . Fire arm of choice that should be stored on person or in car and not left in your bag for many reasons . A few extras that are optional like a painters drop cloth or sheet of plastic for extra water proofing shelter , note pad and pen for keeping a journal , entertainment and working out plans .
The main thing about GHB,s is do not let the good idea fairy load you down with stuff that you may end up throwing away .

My GHB is also a borderline BOB. But yeah, if it can't fit in the pack, or makes it too heavy, I don't include it.

Mine is just a regular backpack, not military, and doesn't scream "I'm a prepper".

Tip if using these, I use the two drink holders on the side of the pack, to hold my metal water bottles. To keep them in the pockets, a simple carabiner works great, and hasn't failed me yet. (frees up room inside the pack for other things).

Latest posts

Back