GOOD "prepping and/or survival" (only focused) BOOKS.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Please don't post all 67 books you have on Prepping/Survival. Really looking for the best of the best of the best.

Please indicate the level of prepper who would be interested in the one or two books you suggest.

OK to mention a book that someone else has already suggested.

Looking to get it boiled down to total of less than ten books.........(will maybe do another thread for voting on all the suggested books, to get it down to 10'ish or 12 total books.

Please state if it is a novel or "how-to" book. (posting a quality novel suggestion is fine).

I really only have one how-to book I would suggest: "Without Rule of Law": by Joe Nobody.
I would rate the book for mid-level preppers, that said, there is a lot of things in the back half that would interest more advanced preppers. Two sections of that book I often go back, and review are, places to hide in urban environments and he has some brilliant creative ideas on how to move through the South side of Chicago (worse part of any town) with a "Full Kit" un-noticed.

I'll go with "One Second After" for novel, but I hated the whole second half of both books.

a complete set of foxfire books

its a regional set on how people survived in a region for a very long time and its a bit of blending of native knowledge coupled with knowledge brought over and learned too.these books cover a wide range of topics.

Kind of old publications, but still good information in my opinion...

Tightwad Gazette by Amy (last name pronounced ..decision..)
The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery
The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving

Best of backwoodsman volumes 1 thru 5. The Salt books AKA New England foxfire books. Any thing euell gibbons. Back to eden by jethro kloss. Most any of the ten Australian bushcraft books by Ron edwards. Would you like to know how to make a fish wheel? Get Alaskans how to handbook. These are all DIY books about building things needed along with a smattering of herbs and foraging. Good info for cheechako or Sourdough alike

Best of backwoodsman volumes 1 thru 5. The Salt books AKA New England foxfire books. Any thing euell gibbons. Back to eden by jethro kloss. Most any of the ten Australian bushcraft books by Ron edwards. Would you like to know how to make a fish wheel? Get Alaskans how to handbook. These are all DIY books about building things needed along with a smattering of herbs and foraging. Good info for cheechako or Sourdough alike
Do you have any more info on the Salt books. All I can find is two books by the same author--Salt and Cod.

Do you have any more info on the Salt books. All I can find is two books by the same author--Salt and Cod.
20240831_165134.jpg
20240831_165141.jpg

Have yall noticed books have all of a sudden got more expensive as of late? i know shipping has went up as well...and folks needing to make more for daily living too. I have also noticed various books if you see it and want it get it then as often it gets gone fast and especially if it seems like valued deal to you.

Back in late winter/spring i wanted this book...i found several copies for $8-11...i bought one. I read it and it was good with info in it and wanted to gift it to a couple of friends and family. Well no go on that...all those copies are gone and cheapest one now is $20.I believe people are buying more books and especially now that theres just not as many new books being published since so many want digital stuff for devices now over these hard copies on a shelf.The digital is in mass majority but it sure seems like more want something real in their hands.

Last edited:
both on my shelves now.....there was a book i wanted....only 3 on the planet it seems....more than i am/was willing to pay....waited a long time....made an offer this week...they said ok....its on its way.

theres another book i like to have...its the only copy i ever seen or can find....$200 and so far wont budge...they going to have to do a bunch of budging to get it in my price range...other wise ...it will sit on their shelf.

i have a bunch of books...told family i kick the bucket dont be tossing the books...just as example...one sits on my shelf cost $700 now if someone will part with a copy at all.

both on my shelves now.....there was a book i wanted....only 3 on the planet it seems....more than i am/was willing to pay....waited a long time....made an offer this week...they said ok....its on its way.

theres another book i like to have...its the only copy i ever seen or can find....$200 and so far wont budge...they going to have to do a bunch of budging to get it in my price range...other wise ...it will sit on their shelf.

i have a bunch of books...told family i kick the bucket dont be tossing the books...just as example...one sits on my shelf cost $700 now if someone will part with a copy at all.
What are the titles of those books?

life of the greatest guide by dale lee...the lee brothers were famous...i bought the book new when they came out he died pretty soon afterwards. i see you get a beat up copy for $500 or there about...mine is mint read only once and not a crease.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-greatest-guide-stories-others/dp/B00071Q7QI

theres some bible study hebrew/english books that cost huge amounts...they print very few and these are big catalogue type books...one cost $900 and that was 10 years ago.....way out of my league...just this year a bible came out i wanted...nope...over $300 and only sold as preorder to make...just cant do it.

Last edited:
The two I would recommend are How to Survive the End of the World as We Know it by James Wesley Rawles, and Prepared: A Manual for Survivng Worst Case Scenarios by Mlke Glover.

The Rawles book is a more complete guide that covers all apects of prepping from supplies, medical, communicatios, to a safe retreat, self sufficiency, investing and barter.

The Glover book is more geared toward situational awareness, with a very thorough point of thinking your plans through to fruition. IMHO he writes from a military perspective and his thinking and planning are much more thorough than mine.

Also like the old little book you done a thread on...wildcraft....ever so often i find old publications like that no one has ever talked about and i didnt even know existed. Often they are regional it seems.

Anyhow about 20 years ago i was at auction and was able to get an entire box filled with old fur-fish-game from late 60's to early 70's. That magazine back then was really filled with hands on experience by real woodsman who lived it as it was their life....everything from trapping...hunting..fishing..wildcrafting and more.

Way back in the day our govt both fed and state published some good information in books and pamphlets .

life of the greatest guide by dale lee...the lee brothers were famous...i bought the book new when they came out he died pretty soon afterwards. i see you get a beat up copy for $500 or there about...mine is mint read only once and not a crease.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-greatest-guide-stories-others/dp/B00071Q7QI

theres some bible study hebrew/english books that cost huge amounts...they print very few and these are big catalogue type books...one cost $900 and that was 10 years ago.....way out of my league...just this year a bible came out i wanted...nope...over $300 and only sold as preorder to make...just cant do it.
I would love to read the dale lee book but not at that price. Books for me is information or a story. Sometimes I read for fun. Mostly info though. Sometimes I'll read a book and will not stop until I'm done, takes all night

I would love to read the dale lee book but not at that price. Books for me is information or a story. Sometimes I read for fun. Mostly info though. Sometimes I'll read a book and will not stop until I'm done, takes all night
i have not read it yet...only listened to a very poorly read series done by a man during c-19 that was going crazy being homebound and doing nothing...but you might want a copy of ...people of the deer by farley mowat

Imagine our knowledge or entertainment going to radio broadcast after SHTF. We’d be listening to people reading books on the radio, after it’s put on the airwaves again. Sorry, just typing out loud.
i have not read it yet...only listened to a very poorly read series done by a man during c-19 that was going crazy being homebound and doing nothing...but you might want a copy of ...people of the deer by farley mowat
I’ve gotten ahold of a few books on self defense for women. Maybe I need to get a steel cane.

Imagine our knowledge or entertainment going to radio broadcast after SHTF. We’d be listening to people reading books on the radio, after it’s put on the airwaves again. Sorry, just typing out loud.

I’ve gotten ahold of a few books on self defense for women. Maybe I need to get a steel cane.
in my opinion it will be a thing again..in fact it really is with podcasts and audio books you can get now. i download stuff for free to have...just think as aging society and eyesight goes a person could still listen to books..i listen to bible audio all the time in fact...well often.

you want a wooden walking stick with brass head on it...my 2 cents

in my opinion it will be a thing again..in fact it really is with podcasts and audio books you can get now. i download stuff for free to have...just think as aging society and eyesight goes a person could still listen to books..i listen to bible audio all the time in fact...well often.

you want a wooden walking stick with brass head on it...my 2 cents
I actually already have a wooden one with a brass bird head. Lol

Latest posts

Back