got a hobby thats not prep related?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
i like making things where their more convenient and/or less hassel.like these 2 battery chargers.in which i installed on/off switchs on each of them.this way i dont have to unplug them,then plug them back in just to turn them on.they are pluged into a 6 outlet power strip.but so is my window unit and a table lamp..
2015-10-25 001.JPG 2015-10-25 002.JPG

What's the point? Just kidding! Most of my hobbies could be associated with prepping is some way though. My favorite is building furniture. Woodworking is my first love. Just wish I had more time for it.

yeah.i guess we've pretty much do everything that has something to do with preps in some or another ,these days.i've already started wondering if i can get a solar set up for those chargers...

One of my hobbies is art. Really has no prep value, but we like making our home an interesting place...or Nerdvana as some of our friends have called it. We do a lot of muraling, and most in the family are artists, so some of our own framed art up as well.

Another hobby is we enjoy meeting celebrities who are in shows we like, at conventions. I've had a drink at the bar with Sir Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), cracked jokes with the actors who played Warf (on STNG), and "Ello Bobbit" pirate (from Pirates of the Caribbean), and talked about horses with Wilma Deering (from Buck Rogers). It's really pretty fun, and a lot easier than folks think, to catch these folks at good times when they aren't signing autographs, etc. So far, most really seem to enjoy being treated just like normal people, and just shooting the breeze at times.

Costuming/cosplay is another. We have a closet and bins full of costumes and accessories for different characters and costumes. Typically, when we go to a convention, each of us has about 6 different costumes we could alternate into (so a different one each day, or more).

Most other hobbies are prep-related in some way. May not have always been the original intention, but they do seem to relate, so... Even paintball (another fun hobby), is pretty much prep for firearm combat and tactics.

Costuming/cosplay is another. We have a closet and bins full of costumes and accessories for different characters and costumes. Typically, when we go to a convention, each of us has about 6 different costumes we could alternate into (so a different one each day, or more).

those costumes would be great for halloween/charade games..

those costumes would be great for halloween/charade games..

Yeah, it's handy to not have to go out and buy things when events come up. For example, my work is doing a Harry Potter theme, so all I had to do was go to the closet and decide between a Slytherin Student, or Mad Eye Moody, as I already had the costume for both. (I went with Mad Eye).

Ugh...my head hurts. LOL.

We went to a Horror Convention in Orlando last weekend, and added a bunch more celeb autographs and pics for the wall: Burt Reynolds, Matthew Lillard (Shaggy in Scooby Doo, and was in Scream, etc.), Rachel True (The Craft), the main Oompa Loompa from the old Willy Wonka, Danny Trejo (Machete), guy who played Andy in Child's Play (got him to sign my son's Chucky doll, lol), George Romero (and a signed Day of the Dead script!), gal who played Marcy on Married with Children, William Forsythe (he's been in dozens of movies), and some others.

Among other things, I like fly tying and lure making (kind of prep related), boat building, scuba diving, water skiing, kayaking, white water rafting, metal detecting, collecting antique's (as investments), fine scotch and cigars, and just sitting back watching the grass grow or snow fall, depending on season. And soon I'll be spoiling my new grandbaby.

Latest posts

Back