Goulash

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalm 7

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Some of my ancestors brought this back from west Tn while working on power plants for TVA in the late 60's . A old German woman ran a boarding house and cooked fot the boilermakers , iron workers , pipe fitters back then . take 2lbs mid grade ground beef not the cheap fatty or very lean but something out of the middle . In a long baking pan 9"/13" or close . pat the ground beef out like you are making a pie crust it should be around inch - inch and a half thick or so . Then take some potattoes and quarter them if they are smallish just half them you want big pieces . spread them across the ground beef then quater a mid size onione and place it in sections between potatoes . salt and black pepper across the whole thing then pour two 15 oz cans Hunts tomato sauce over it top with can tomato past , lay a sheet of alminium foil over it to keep from buring top do not seal it just lay it over . bake 1.5 hours or until the potatoes rea done at 400 . Have oven pre heating while doing the above . Eat with light bread . Easy to fix great winter dish . You wouldn't want to have all the time . The lady that they got it from said it was a modern (1960's) version of a old German dish in the old country .

Interesting recipe! I had never heard of making goulash in that way. . . It sounds like it maybe one of those 'easy' throw together dinners on a busy day. Reminds me of a German version of Sheppard's Pie. I have always had it made like a hearty beef stew with veggies.

Someone ealse told me one time it was Sheapard Pie . I leard how to make it as a kid and all the old folks talked about the old German woman and calling it Goolash . Any wild game or not our normal dishes my Wife makes me cook so I have alot of obscure recipes .

This is so interesting I have to try it. When I make goulash it seems to take forever because you have to constantly watch and stir. Shepards Pie sounds about right for this meal. Man, it makes me hungry just sitting on this blog.

I remember as a kid,whenever a loaf of bread was getting hard or we had an extra loaf, it was goulash time. Now we're lazy, extra bread just goes to the chickens. We're so wasteful compared to back then. Dessert was usually some canned peaches or pears we did in the fall. We packed a barrel with cabbage heads & made kraut/stuffed cabbage with it through the winter. We had a pallet-sized wooden crate we stacked with apples. We smoked a few hundred pounds of beef/pork.

We started poor, through frugal living (in hindsight) my parents saved a fortune. And I remember seeing neighbors with new cars & fancy toys which we never ever had. But I suppose those same neighbors are still living hand-to-mouth (but they still have a shiny new car in their driveway with a $20k note and a big mortgage!). I had a mortgage for years and don't now. For anyone that has never lived without a mortgage, you have no idea what it's like. Once you go mortgage-free (and I don't mean rent or living with mommy), you'll never touch one again. You'll see it for the limiting, controlling monster that it is.

I always thought goulash, cottage pie and shepherd's pie were one of the same, just that different regions called it by one of the three name with variance of the recipe. It is my favorite winter food though we use lamb or venison a lot more in our goulash than beef.

This is Shepherds pie actually . I had a Great Uncle that called anything Goulash if He didn't know what it was and has been a habit to call this goulash since then .

Latest posts

Back