Grills?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my grill out of a discarded stainless steel sink.
I split it with a cutting wheel, spot-welded some hinges on it,
bought a piece of perforated deck plate as a grill, and used another piece
to raise and lower my fire.

How to make a charcoal starter, because Naphtha and lighter fluid flavor suck.

1 large metal coffee can or #10 storage can.
Rivet or bolt on a door handle.
go around the bottom with the triangle part of a beer opener and perforate every other inch.
fill 1/4 full of crumpled paper and put your starting wood in, then charcoal last.
Light it from the bottom and wait until the charcoal gets going, using a glove, dump it in your grill and add more charcoal.

How to make a charcoal starter, because Naphtha and lighter fluid flavor suck.

1 large metal coffee can or #10 storage can.
Rivet or bolt on a door handle.
go around the bottom with the triangle part of a beer opener and perforate every other inch.
fill 1/4 full of crumpled paper and put your starting wood in, then charcoal last.
Light it from the bottom and wait until the charcoal gets going, using a glove, dump it in your grill and add more charcoal.
Frog all that. Use a hand held butane torch

What kinda Grills do ya have????
All depends on whoya ask
Someone from da hood would just smile at you with that question!😁
I have an electric smoker that looks like R2D2 I use it for yard birds

And this one that is shabby, will not win a beauty contest.
I smoke whole hogs on IMG_4641.jpegIMG_4640.jpeg

Did not read thread. Just dropping in to state that the weber kettle is the superior choice for all one's grilling needs.
Webber kettle is indeed a fine grill
If you are only grilling for 3 or 4 people it is a fine choice
What I am building is a smoker
Not a Grill,
The cooking surface is 48"x32".
Compared to the webbers 22"x22"

Webber kettle is indeed a fine grill
If you are only grilling for 3 or 4 people it is a fine choice
What I am building is a smoker
Not a Grill,
The cooking surface is 48"x32".
Compared to the webbers 22"x22"
It is large- no doubt. But I do ALOT of smoking on my kettle, for the long cooks like shoulders and brisket ill use the snake method for even heat with no need to manage.. I have fed a party of 20+ cooking 4 types of meats- but it does take some planning to get away with the smaller surface area. So i totally get your point about that-
20240407_111758.jpg

Heres an example of the smoking- 14 hours (and 2 more to rest), done low and slow- no need to manage fire. Kettle grill is by far the most versatile imo. Deep smoke ring btw- excellent flavor. I have things tuned so I have barely have to adjust things so it's mostly hands off. That's an improvement over my buddy who needs to constantly tend his offset.

Last edited:
It is large- no doubt. But I do ALOT of smoking on my kettle, for the long cooks like shoulders and brisquet ill use the snake method for even heat with no need to manage.. I have fed a party of 20+ cooking 4 types of meats- but it does take some planning to get away with the smaller surface area. So i totally get your point about that-View attachment 130092
Heres an example of the smoking- 14 hours (and 2 more to rest), done low and slow- no need to manage fire. Kettle grill is by far the most versatile imo. Deep smoke ring btw- excellent flavor. I have things tuned so I have barely have to adjust things so it's mostly hands off. That's an improvement over my buddy who needs to constantly tend his offset.

I agree Ki hate to manage and watch
I used a charcoal brinkman water smoker for 15/20 years then my wife bought me an electric, at first. I did not like iit but it grew on me
This one is for smoking 5 or 6 butts and half a dozen chickens at one time.

The grill that came with the house got beat badly in a wind storm. I replaced it with a stainless gas grill with a burner ring, In a pinch I can do my canning outside. On hot summer days I can cook outside. We also have a charcoal grill, similar to the one in post #73, but it is still in the box next to a few bags of charcoal. I can also cook on my wood stove.

Anybody got "the big green egg"?
Bought a Green Egg for my parents. They loved it. It is mine now, I guess, if I want it. It is rather heavy so shipping it home would be costly.

Back