Help

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Help, I need some ideas on how to make my 48 cans of great northern beans worth eating! When I first started setting up a prepping pantry I bought a bunch of flats of can goods. Well, I'm pretty good about rotating, and generally buy what I eat. But somehow I got those 4 flats of those damned beans, and everything I've tried is still not appealing to me. Any good receipies? I have a few more months before expiration, and at this time I'm thinking a food bank.

Cook up with some ham hocks, and diced onions, and you've got a good side dish to any meal, from those beans.

In your survival scenerio dehydrated onion/canned relish would be great and maybe some cyanne pepper. another great thing is in every seasoning ile at the store they have the dried packs of sauces ! great northern beans+taco seasoning+dehydrated tomatoes+squirrel or venison YUM! like taco salad without the taco lol. and another good simple ingredient is BBQ sauce always makes great tasting beans.

Granted the store wont be there in a survival situation so season stocking will need to be a pretense! I keep several dried sauce packs in my food prep buckets.

In your survival scenerio dehydrated onion/canned relish would be great and maybe some cyanne pepper. another great thing is in every seasoning ile at the store they have the dried packs of sauces ! great northern beans+taco seasoning+dehydrated tomatoes+squirrel or venison YUM! like taco salad without the taco lol. and another good simple ingredient is BBQ sauce always makes great tasting beans.
Somehow that taco seasoning sounds appealing, I'll let you know how it turns out. I love fresh beans, but these canned ones are kind of mushy and bland.

Just to eat them up so you can rotate make a ocasional pot of stew and once its about done dump a can in . It'l add another veg and you want evan know it's there .

I love them in soup. 8 cups h2o, ham bone or hocks, as much celery and carrots as you like, whole onion diced, 2 bay leaves and any smaller pasta shells (1 cup dry). 2 cans of your beans drain and rinse first. Let simmer and great lunch or dinner!

I threw in a can tonight in some chili, and it was great. I figured they would turn to mush, so I added them later and they were a pretty good addition.

Try some fried ham in it and eat it over cornbread muffins. The muffins can be prepped in about 5 minutes and baked in 15. It's a very quick meal for busy days. Lord knows with work and critters, you need to have quickie days sometimes

Try some fried ham in it and eat it over cornbread muffins. The muffins can be prepped in about 5 minutes and baked in 15. It's a very quick meal for busy days. Lord knows with work and critters, you need to have quickie days sometimes
We still talkin food? You're making me hungry either way, lol. I finally figured out the trays of beans that were close to expiration were mushy and tasted bland, so I took them to the local soup kitchen, along with a few other better things. I still have three trays of those beans that seem fine. I have learned though, don't over buy canned goods of things you're not going to be able to eat and rotate.

We still talkin food? You're making me hungry either way, lol. I finally figured out the trays of beans that were close to expiration were mushy and tasted bland, so I took them to the local soup kitchen, along with a few other better things. I still have three trays of those beans that seem fine. I have learned though, don't over buy canned goods of things you're not going to be able to eat and rotate.

As far as you beans go get the dried ones in the bags! They last longer and have a firmer hold! It is not hard to cook either!

LOL I have never knowingly eaten great northern beans. :)

When you restock, try some pinto beans. They are very versatile, and high in protein. Pinto beans and corn supply all the essential amino acids. I use them for any recipe that calls for beans - chili, stew, even Red Beans and Rice even thought they aren't really red.

As far as you beans go get the dried ones in the bags! They last longer and have a firmer hold! It is not hard to cook either!
i agree that the dried ones are alot better. i have a discount grocery store here called save a lot, that has great prices on canned goods, so i stocked up for the pantry. i wanted a good start on a supply about two years ago so i bought some stuff i dont reguarly use. Now im alot better with buying what ill actually eat.

I think some people doesn't realize that food does not go bad, just because it is beyond the expiration date. There was an article online a year or two ago of someone that found a can of beef from the Korean war and ate it and it was still good and no one died.
Waste is probably going to kill more people then anything else after a SHTF or disaster.
In the beginning, many people will cook more then they can eat and will be inclined to feed pets and harbor others, only to find out somewhere down the road when their food runs out that they will have wished that they would have preserved more, wasted less.

I think some people doesn't realize that food does not go bad, just because it is beyond the expiration date. There was an article online a year or two ago of someone that found a can of beef from the Korean war and ate it and it was still good and no one died.
Waste is probably going to kill more people then anything else after a SHTF or disaster.
In the beginning, many people will cook more then they can eat and will be inclined to feed pets and harbor others, only to find out somewhere down the road when their food runs out that they will have wished that they would have preserved more, wasted less.
I agree the expiration date is way on the safe side, although some things, like those beans, got awful mushy even if they were still safe. I think having a supply of stock goods is wise, but my thinking is more towards being able to make more. No matter how many canned stores you have, they will run out eventually. I always thought I was smart enough to read about something and then just go do it. Well, I can tell you, I'm learning a lot about things like gardening and raising animals that weren't in the books. It takes trial and error, and patience. I'm trying to learn skills now that will feed me and those with me, before I actually need to depend on them. Someone was actually brave enough to eat a can of beef that old?

I would trust home canned foods over store bought any day. . .

Latest posts

Back