his is so cool

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly very cool kind of old school and a little different in modern times in your parts isn't it? This is becoming common place in the Southwest Western part of the States.

Seen similar things in Wales, The South West of England and in and round Taos NM.

I can just imagine the sheeple calling it a "hobbit" house!!

I think it's awesome. Somehow the thirty year mortgage seems like slavery to me, so building yourself is a great alternative. I think it's a little rough around the edges, but as long as their happy in it who cares. My place here is 90% recycled, reclaimed or repurposed in some form or way, and was pretty cheap to build, but not quite that cheap. It looks as nice or nicer than most, but shows you can build with reused stuff and still have it look 'normal'. I'm lucky that I naturally like working with my hands and making or restoring things. I guess I like the feeling of accomplishment from it when I'm done with a project. It really helps to have some basic construction knowledge, but you don't need to be an expert at anything. All a house is is a collaboration of little projects added together. Everyone here has a computer, and with that if there are any parts of the collaboration that you don't know much about you can google it and learn enough to do it. The biggest problem is usually with the local building officials. They want standard cookie cutter projects. I was impressed that the local officials actually encouraged new ideas and sustainability there.

Latest posts

Back