I was temporarily insane today!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm very frugal and wise with my money 99% of the time. Today I had a moment though. I've had a motorcycle just about all my life, and currently have a Kawasaki Vulcan in the garage. I only ride it occasionally as it's really not that comfortable, even though it's got great style, comfort means more to me nowadays. Anyways, I was at a guys house today and he had a Yamaha V star in the garage, and just happened to mention he was thinking about selling it. Long story short, I bought it on the spot. Of course it emptied my bank account, emergency fund, and my wallet! I just posted the Vulcan on atlanta craigslist to replenish my emergency fund. I know this has absolutely nothing to do with prepping, but I'm pretty excited! I'm gonna have to go on a long ride in the mountains really soon!

Ha ha, you gotta do crazy stuff every now and then, and anyway it's a motorbike so you are forgiven :) After all you can say it will be a good BOV that will be viable even when the interstates are choked with cars.

I just got one of my bikes running again, I'm looking forward to going for a ride after a few years with them in the shed.

Spending fever must have been infectious today! Good for you, Brent. I hope you sell the old one and enjoy the new one to the max.

I just picked up the bike tonight, as I had to wait till my son could give me a ride to get it. I hated to put it away, and could have ridden for hours. It's 1400cc, and has dual back rests, platforms instead of foot pegs, and is really comfortable! Now I start my 8 day stretch at work, yuk! I guess I'll have time to ride later. Funny, I haven't been this excited over a toy in a while. They do say that men get more like boys as they get older!

Don't you just hate it when you get a new toy and can't play with it?

They do say that men get more like boys as they get older!
Your never too old to have a happy childhood :)

I think I'd be riding it to and from work if I were you. I've always wanted a motorcycle but I'm told that if I try it now at my age, I'm liable to wreck, mainly because of ingrained turning behavior. I don't do too badly riding b***h, but haven't had many opportunities for that lately either.

I think I'd be riding it to and from work if I were you. I've always wanted a motorcycle but I'm told that if I try it now at my age, I'm liable to wreck, mainly because of ingrained turning behavior. I don't do too badly riding b***h, but haven't had many opportunities for that lately either.
Sounds like you've got enough spirit to do just about anything you put your mind to!

Hey, remember we do have to live our lives for the here and now! I don't kick myself for buying my dream car- 68 Dodge Charger or all the money put into it that could have gone to other things. I didn't really regret getting rid of it for a fraction- the thing was cursed! I fully understand the beauty of riding a motorcycle, but I know its not really for me. I'm with you on the comfort thing.

I can actually see a biiiiiiiiig smile from here,enjoy your new ride :)
I didn't need a new rifle but I just wanted it ;)

I'm very frugal and wise with my money 99% of the time. Today I had a moment though. I've had a motorcycle just about all my life, and currently have a Kawasaki Vulcan in the garage. I only ride it occasionally as it's really not that comfortable, even though it's got great style, comfort means more to me nowadays. Anyways, I was at a guys house today and he had a Yamaha V star in the garage, and just happened to mention he was thinking about selling it. Long story short, I bought it on the spot. Of course it emptied my bank account, emergency fund, and my wallet! I just posted the Vulcan on atlanta craigslist to replenish my emergency fund. I know this has absolutely nothing to do with prepping, but I'm pretty excited! I'm gonna have to go on a long ride in the mountains really soon!
Well as a kid my dad had a Yamaha 600 that he would ride to and from work, rain or shine, to save on gas. I started riding with him when I was 4 years old and if I ever got the opportunity to go with him on any errands, I would in a heartbeat, but now days. . . it would have to be a Goldwing. . . I'm just too old for a crotch rocket.

I'm just too old for a crotch rocket.
In the 70s I was into "cafe racers" (bikini fairings, clipons, rear sets, Yoshimura kits etc) in the 750/900 range (big for those days), I got off bikes in one piece and figured I would quit while I was ahead (some mates never got that choice).

20 years later I bought two SL230s, small road/trail hybrids, gutless as heck but a lot of fun and anyway we needed something small for the motorhome. Bikes are dangerous there's no doubt about that I think, there are three main factors, youth, high power and other road users. I'm not that young any more (don't believe the age in my profile, I never put real date of birth on the web) and the 230s wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding, so all I have against me is other road users. Oh well, 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

Well as a kid my dad had a Yamaha 600 that he would ride to and from work, rain or shine, to save on gas. I started riding with him when I was 4 years old and if I ever got the opportunity to go with him on any errands, I would in a heartbeat, but now days. . . it would have to be a Goldwing. . . I'm just too old for a crotch rocket.
I knew you were a biker chick at heart! I like cruisers with plush seats, never understood the crotch rockets. My son bought his first bike a while back about two hours away from here. Since he didn't know how to ride yet I went with him to pick it up. Of course it was a crotch rocket, which I'm really not experienced with, but riding home thru the mountains was a blast. I can see the appeal, it's a blast leaning into the curves and all. I guess I'm just not in a hurry nowadays, and just ride for pleasure. I also had sore shoulders for a couple days, leaning forwards like that would be hell for more than three hours.

In the 70s I was into "cafe racers" (bikini fairings, clipons, rear sets, Yoshimura kits etc) in the 750/900 range (big for those days), I got off bikes in one piece and figured I would quit while I was ahead (some mates never got that choice).

20 years later I bought two SL230s, small road/trail hybrids, gutless as heck but a lot of fun and anyway we needed something small for the motorhome. Bikes are dangerous there's no doubt about that I think, there are three main factors, youth, high power and other road users. I'm not that young any more (don't believe the age in my profile, I never put real date of birth on the web) and the 230s wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding, so all I have against me is other road users. Oh well, 2 outta 3 ain't bad.
Yeah, they aren't a safe toy. I have a few bones that still hurt from a few accidents. I guess I never learned though as I still enjoy it. I'm amazed that people are afraid to fly. Getting out on the road, bike or car, is the most dangerous thing you will ever do. I've never had a wreck that was my fault, but that dosent change the fact that I was in a few wrecks!

I've never had a wreck that was my fault
Me neither, but when you're on a bike it's always your problem, the car driver is usually just worried about his paintwork, meanwhile you're in the ICU.

Still if you didn't do anything that was at least a little dangerous you'd never get out of bed, and then that would be dangerous :)

Currently riding an 09 sportster 1200. Ride everyday to work as well as on the weekends now with my wife. Now I'm keeping an out for one that she would like. :D

Latest posts

Back