Iguana's dropping like flies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6493

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Cold-stunned iguanas drop from trees in South Florida
By Jillian MacMath, AccuWeather staff writer
January 06, 2018, 5:26:30 AM EST

Though unusually cold air has gripped South Florida over the past few days, an even more unusual phenomenon has been affecting the local iguana population.

A recent cold snap has stunned the lizards, causing them to fall from their perches in trees.

Residents in Miami and nearby towns have taken to social media to describe seeing large, motionless iguanas scattered about.

View image on Twitter
DSsnmPsWAAAAKfz.jpg:small

Frank Cerabino@FranklyFlorida

The scene at my backyard swimming pool this 40-degree South Florida morning: A frozen iguana.
The cold blooded animals are known to enter a sleeplike state in temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

This week, the mercury has plummeted into the 40s on a couple of occasions, with the lowest recording hitting 44 F just before dawn on Thursday.

According to AccuWeather Meteorologist Maggie Samuhel, the low temperatures haven’t been record-breaking, but air this cold only reaches Miami every three to four years.

“It’s an impressively cold stretch,” she said.

The frigid air moving across the eastern U.S. has posed more serious risks to other species.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission has been rescuing stunned sea turtles floating in the water and near the shore.

Farther north, the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy has reported several frozen thresher sharks washed ashore in Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

I have never seen a wild iguana in all of the years I have lived in Florida. Just where the hell are these things?

I have never seen a wild iguana in all of the years I have lived in Florida. Just where the hell are these things?
It’s all in s fla, there are loads of boa constrictors and pythons too. Everglades, Miami and over to the west coast. Literally a teenage boys paradise! I loved reptiles as a kid.

What are the big lizards You see climbing trees in most of Costal South Ga and throughout FL . Being a Squirrel hunter I thought I was seeing Squirrels but they were large lizards going up trees and from limb to limb ?

What are the big lizards You see climbing trees in most of Costal South Ga and throughout FL . Being a Squirrel hunter I thought I was seeing Squirrels but they were large lizards going up trees and from limb to limb ?
That would be iguanas, although I didn’t know they were in Ga.

So far, the lowest we've gotten in Plant City was 28 degrees. But a lot of days, we had mid 30's.

So far, the lowest we've gotten in Plant City was 28 degrees. But a lot of days, we had mid 30's.
I’m really tired of the cold weather! Just saw another cold snap next week.... at this rate I will be lucky to not run out of firewood.

I’m really tired of the cold weather! Just saw another cold snap next week.... at this rate I will be lucky to not run out of firewood.

And it was 68 here today. 44 tonight, which, by the way, is tomorrow’s high.... rain, mixed with freezing rain, turning to sleet and snow. Dropping into the 20s by afternoon..... crap.

Oddly, I haven't seen a blip in news about the crops, citrus or otherwise.

Supposed to be in the high 20's again at least one morning this weekend. What? Why? Damn it.....

And I'll be blanketing and unblanketing horses all damn week. (only needed because here, they don't really grow winter coats like up north, so these odd cold snaps affect them more).

Latest posts

Back