Independency Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontte

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Today on december 6th we celebrate our Independence Day here in Finland.
When we finally got it,it was a cold snowy winter day,today it's raining here.
We finally broke the chain of opression from Russia and took charge of our own destiny.
It only took 2 months and on 28th of january we had a full scale civil war here,it was
between the White (non communist) and Red (communists),this is the easy divide,but that
civil war left deep scars that lasted for decades to come.
My country was like an open hand,weak and divided and the resentment was there.
Then came the years before Winter war and Stalins Russia wanted land from us and in
1939,on the 30 november they launced a full scale attack on us with the intention of conquer and take,
they even had a "peoples government" in Terijoki with whom they negotiated and made up a peace deal,
but thanks to that Winter war,those fingers apart was clenched into a fist,ready to defend my country
and in the trenches and forrests both white and red soldiers forgot their differences and fought,bled and died
toghether for my country,the memory of that civil war was there,but more important was the
defence of our Independency.
We do not celebrate our Independency with massive parties,we light a candle or two,one for the country
one to remember those who fought and made the ultimate sacrifice.
So still this day means something important for me,a reminder that there are something
worth fighting for.

-jontte-

Latest posts

Back