Is there anyone out there who still believes in writing letters as means to communicate?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindyd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Just wondering....is there anybody out there that would respond to an actual hand written letter these days? AND does anyone think it might actually be a better way to communicate these days? Speaking of getting back to the way things USE to be! Does anyone except me remember the excitement of getting a letter or anything in the mail? I have gotten to where I can't stand to go to the post office...I hate reading mail!. and for the most part I don't! .it's all junk that comes in the box these days! I pay my bills online, I communicate almost exclusively via computer or cell phone.......BUT...I do admit, all the texting/emails and other social media ways of communicating sucks in a lot of ways also. Not to mention...who's reading/watching/listening! haahaa!... As I was sitting on my front porch this evening after cleaning out the chicken coop! (urrggg.."loads" of fun)! ..I thought about an old co-worker I had back in the early 80's and how she was a pen-pal to a guy in the military...she had never met him...and I recall sitting in her office, listening to her talk about his letters she got...and the look on her face when she would get one..priceless!...they are now married for over 20+
years......and I do recall the days of eager anticipation of getting a letter in the mail from anyone myself as well!...I'm probably too deep in the wine again tonight...but just a thought...Is the "art" of letter writing long gone?

To most, yes the art of hand writing a letter is gone. I remember be excited when I got a letter in the mail. I know here in Louisiana the main ones who write letters are the ones in jail. I would love to see a resurrection of the letter writing days.

wife still writes the odd letter as typing on a computer takes her too long, but our postal service these days is so bad I don't think many other people do, I haven't received a letter for years.

I remember a long time ago I received one of those handwritten letter thingys! I even remember sending a few! I still to this day am a grammar and punctuation fanatic...took me forever to learn the txt tlk! And, I still have to respell everything in my head!

I still hand write letters to politicians, Lisa and I leave handwritten notes to one another. I don't care much about emails/texting. I was setup on a couple of social media sites but since closed them out, don't much care for cell phones either, ya, I miss the old ways of communicating. The world is impersonal and over-exposed anymore!

Handwritten letters are mostly dead. Simply put, with the ability to instantly communicate via text or e-mail, they are simply no longer useful. About the only purpose now is if you want to make an emotional impact.

On the flip side though, for cards, I still believe it is important to send actual mailed cards vs. an e-card.

Oh jeepers....does this make me a dinosaur? LOL Yes, this household still communicates the old fashioned way. Now, don't get me wrong, we sure do our share of electronic communication. So, I guess you could say we are a two way family.

Just the other day my 4 yr old granddaughter wrote, by hand, a letter to her Godmother and rejoiced when she received word back in the mail. I still send cards of all occasions to family and friends. Of course, the cards are homemade on the computer using card making software we have but none the less it is mail.

We must be passing it along because the grandkids love getting mail in the outside mail box. lol So for now this family will keep being a two way family as long as the postal service holds out.

even thoe i did send a letter time 2 time..i never was much on sending a letter to someone..and im pretty much the same way with emails..about the only emails i send,are funny ones that received in the first place..

I still like to write occasionally. Depending on the situation, it may be the only way to get communication to people long distances away. Not via USPS, but maybe something similar to Pony Express. Who knows how things would happen if we really lost those means of communication. It reminds me of "Book of Eli" where people claimed that the West Coast was still okay and people on the West told stories of the East being okay. We have gotten so used to instant gratification(Including with coms) that we might really be tested if that was our "Only" means.

Right now, with all of our current ability to communicate, I find that the written letter is far more personal and meaningful than a text or typed out email. Maybe because it takes more time and money. I'm not sure why, really. I do like it better, though!

Latest posts

Back