Issue with sewer line

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Perhaps a warning..

My daughter lives in the suburbs of Vancouver, her house is at the bottom of a fairly steep hill, on top of this hill is a large apartment complex roughly 500 units with numerous houses around the apartment complex, she has 2 houses further down from her, apparently the sewer line runs down hill as the lower three houses are connected.

Thursday morning I received a call from her complaining she can smell something like a sewer smell, that afternoon her neighbor 2 houses down came to the daughters house complaining that the sewer or something was coming into her bathtub, I gone to my daughters around 11:30 12:00 thursday evening (a frantic call) she was starting to have the same issue, the neighbor from two houses down came running over while I was there. Since we was unable to call anyone at the city/county I had them call the fire department (figured they knew who to contact)

In the meantime..

I sent them to the local 24hr grocery store to purchase the largest balloons they carried, we pulled the p-trap from all the sinks, inflated the balloons (using air compressor) in the lines, sealed the open end with duck tape, we emptied the toilet bowl of water, inserted a balloon in the siphon part of the toilet and inflated it and covered the top of the bowl with cellophane and duck taped, we pulled the tub screen out and used the balloon in the drain, duck taped the hole and used a brick on top, so far it has kept the smell out. The county has been working on the line and as of this morning sewer was still down.

Until this situation it slipped my mind that the drains and toilet would need to be plugged not just to keep the smell out but to keep the sewer from backing into the drains in the house in a shtf situation in a city setting!

Hopefully Maverick your daughter did not have any systemic issues...I've seen patients who have serious reactions to the exposure of the gases building in homes. Headaches typically are related to the exposure of these gases. Exposure to fresh air is one of the quickest first aid solutions. Hopefully, she was able to get a hotel room, instead of being exposed anymore.

that's the problem with being at the bottom of a hill, not just sewers but flooding too. recently, well last winter, 3 houses down the road from us were flooded because the storm drain got blocked, spilled out over the road and flooded the houses-their front doors were on a lower level than the road so the water took the path of least resistance. I'm glad we are on the highest point in the locale.

another thing learnt from here ;)
usually experience this type of smell if I'm away for a longer period...the drains dry up and here comes the smell..

and I'm glad this house is located on high ground..no problems with "bad water" :)

im on high ground as well..plus,if i get the extra drain/sewer line.i can run the field line on over to a wash out,.so the sewage can drain on out.and away from the house.but that means it's drain out where it'll water and fertilize the grass and weeds where they stay nice n green all summer.which aint good during a drought.and after a shtf situation.

Very common in my area. we live near a big river and get flooded a lot. I install a lot of these in my customers homes.
Only letting tje waste going into one direction.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413136341599.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1413136341599.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 17
that type of system should be mandatory to put in sewers..just to prevent it for coming back..once it's gone I don't wanna have it any more

Until this situation it slipped my mind that the drains and toilet would need to be plugged not just to keep the smell out but to keep the sewer from backing into the drains in the house in a shtf situation in a city setting!

That's why I like having a well and a septic system.

Only downside is when we get a LOT of rain, probably a good idea not to try and flush too often. Even then though, we usually just do a shock treatment down a toilet (to give the septic more bacteria), and it does the trick in a few hours. Only happens about once a summer, and isn't really bad or anything.

i've often thought of gtting the needed drain line,and running it on out to the creek.in which there'd be a shut off vaule at the edge of my yard.this way,i can just open it up and let it drain into the creek.but that'd cost a fair amount of money.pluss i'd have to get trence which for digging the trence to the creek..

What about a natural bio filter setup ? on the Scottish Eco villages the domestic waste runs into a reed bed where the reed bed harbours aerobic bacteria that converts the human waste into fertiliser which is taken up by the plants and the water goes through a full natural nitrogen cycles in the read beds before emptying into a pond.

Latest posts

Back