Lone Star Tick Disease

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loomis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
About a year ago my grandson was bitten by this tick and he is now allergic to red meat, or any food with cooked in animal fat. He is 8 years old. He has to have 2 EpiPens at all times, one for school and the other he has to carry. Here is an article that goes into detail. It's something we need to be aware of here in the South East USA when we are out in the field.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140220102727.htm

I had read about this but never really thought about it in terms of survival. I guess I'm pretty selfish that way. I've never had a tick bite even though I grew up in the woods of Virginia. I've never had a mosquito bite, either. I have also never been affected by poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac or even insulation - everyone always asks me to do the dirty work because of that. I'm thinking I have some seriously special skin.
This is really important news though to everyone else and good that you pointed it out.

Tics are a problem when if bugging out or trekking here in the pacific northwest, deer tics are a common tic especially when hunting, the deer tic here is associated with lime disease though the many times I have encountered them I never got the disease never the less lime disease is something to be concerned with for certain people. I do suggest wearing pantyhose's plus they work good for keeping chiggers out ;)

It would be a hard thing to give up my steak or milk product for that matter. . . Hope I never get bit by one of those suckers. We tend to have ticks in the area, but so far I have not heard of any of these allergic reactions or Lyme's disease affecting anyone in this area so far. May hit us one day though so nice to have a heads up.

This year in North Texas, we've had confirmed reports from the Public Health Department that we have the kissing bug, which carries Chagas disease.

http://www.texomashomepage.com/stor...in-wichita-falls/30543/U60lhygYgkSk4imLsGfcbA

I've been doing some entomology work in the backyard and now am spraying regularly around the home and in the yard. In fact, I've got the pest guys coming tomorrow to do a more thorough job. If North Texas has it, I am sure other parts of Texas and other states should see incidence of them also.

Latest posts

Back